New Policy Affecting Calls to Captain's Club...

Lastdance

10 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Absolutely true, you do need to opt in to receive the email invitation, but you don't have to receive the email invitation to participate in the Move Up bidding. You only need to be within the 30 day sailing window and click the link above. I have done it without receiving the email invitation by clicking the link on the home page that I included in my post #68 on this thread.

There's a thread on the board called "Have You Won A MoveUp Bid?" where some folks have reported being able to place bids more than 30 days out. I clicked the link myself when I was more than 30 days out and I, too, was able to place a bid if I wanted to. 

And I also noticed a link in my Cruise Planner the other day prompting me to place a bid if I wanted to.

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I agree that folks should not be rude.  But there is a difference between being "abrupt" and rude.  I would be among the last person to defend X Customer service, but do understand that those of us who use cruise/travel agencies are expected to work through our own agents.

Hank

I'll agree with that as that's what I do. 

On 4/8/2019 at 3:24 PM, the_dylaness said:

Hey! We are on the same 2/15/2020 sailing as you and called about this Tortola/Punta Cana thing earlier today.  I had emailed Celebrity One Touch about it a few days ago and got no reply.  They told me they would fix it within 48 hours...

It's not exactly 100% fixed in that the Punta Cana ones are still showing, BUT the Tortola ones are now showing and available to book as well!! Just booked the Jost Van Dyke beach escape!!

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

On 4/8/2019 at 3:24 PM, the_dylaness said:

Hey! We are on the same 2/15/2020 sailing as you and called about this Tortola/Punta Cana thing earlier today.  I had emailed Celebrity One Touch about it a few days ago and got no reply.  They told me they would fix it within 48 hours...

I have discovered that although I thought I was well versed in knowledge about time zones, there was one that eluded my notice completely. That is the time zone occupied by the Celebrity IT team! When the new website launched 2 years ago I was promised things would be fixed in various time frames but no repair happened in the promised period. It was then I discovered that there is a wrinkle in time known as the Celebrity IT Time Warp. Welcome to the Time Warp.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 2:37 PM, Luvcrusn said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/bid-on-cruise-room-upgrade

This is a link from the Celebrity home page for the Move Up program. You don't have to receive an email nor do you have to book direct with X to participate. Your sailing does have to be no more than 30 days out.

Luvcrusn:

Here is the question I have, and maybe you already have the answer.  My next cruise is being handled through the big box store.  So I have heard in prior threads that the big box does not participate in Move Up, and therefore I will presumably not receive an invitation to bid (whether I am opted in to email or not).  But does the Move Up link you provided work for a client of the big box store?  My next cruise is 42 days away, so presumably I will be able to tell the answer in 12 days.  But I am wondering if it will just tell me that I am not eligible to participate.

Tom & Judy

Hi TFree,

I'm not luvcrusn, but have you tried the link yourself? Reason I ask is because it allowed me to bid more than 30 days out. So it doesn’t seem to be set in stone that there’s a 30 day threshold. Or perhaps certain sailings are at the 30 day mark, but others are further out, like my particular sailing. 

If I were you, I would try the link now. If you don’t get any love, try again in 12 days. I can’t imagine the program accepting a bid from you if you didn’t qualify to do so. But then again, stranger things seem to happen at Celebrity. 

Edited by BEAV

17 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Hi TFree,

I'm not luvcrusn, but have you tried the link yourself? Reason I ask is because it allowed me to bid more than 30 days out. So it doesn’t seem to be set in stone that there’s a 30 day threshold. Or perhaps certain sailings are at the 30 day mark, but others are further out, like my particular sailing. 

If I were you, I would try the link now. If you don’t get any love, try again in 12 days. I can’t imagine the program accepting a bid from you if you didn’t qualify to do so. But then again, stranger things seem to happen at Celebrity. 

BEAV:

Yes, I have tried it periodically, including just now, with no success.  I have read in these threads that sometimes people are invited before 30 days, and that sometimes the link works for people before the 30 days.  But it is not working for me now.

I am really more interested in this for future cruises, since I was able to upgrade for no charge last week when the next category up dropped below the price we paid for our cabin.  (I.e., they did not apply the old $1 rule.)  So I am quite happy with our current cabin - I just want to know if a client of the big box can still make a move up bid.  I don't know that I would use a different agent in the future because of this, but I am interested in knowing whether a bid will still be permitted, so that I can at least consider that.  I might also lobby the big box (when I talk to them about some other booking issue) to start participating in the program.

Tom & Judy

If the link doesn’t work for you at the 30-day mark, then I would probably theorize the Big Box thing was the culprit.. BTW, I didn’t wait for an email invite to show up. I just clicked the link and it would allow me to bid if I wanted. 

Glad you scored an upgrade anyway as you described! 

59 minutes ago, TFree said:

Luvcrusn:

Here is the question I have, and maybe you already have the answer.  My next cruise is being handled through the big box store.  So I have heard in prior threads that the big box does not participate in Move Up, and therefore I will presumably not receive an invitation to bid (whether I am opted in to email or not).  But does the Move Up link you provided work for a client of the big box store?  My next cruise is 42 days away, so presumably I will be able to tell the answer in 12 days.  But I am wondering if it will just tell me that I am not eligible to participate.

Tom & Judy

Yes. Just try when you're 30 days out. We book with a different TA and don't receive the MoveUp email (even though I'm opted in as well)  but can bid through the link. 

On 4/8/2019 at 6:21 PM, davekathy said:

I'll agree with that as that's what I do. 

But my post was regarding the purchase of internet, so there would be no reason to contact my TA...just saying!  I do understand the rules and the rep was rude to me from the moment he answered the phone, and yes, I do know the difference....but you are certainly entitled to say and believe, confirm or whatever you feel works best for you...I was just truly surprised, as that had never happened to me before...just clarifying and there is a difference; however, as a representative of Celebrity, employees do need to be somewhat pleasant...at least they have always been delightful whenever I have called.  I am just clarifying my answer and yes, the "red" on Hlitner's post and his feelings about abruptness do ring very true, as far as, his posts on here.  He is abrupt in his statements some of the time, but not always...therein lies the difference...he also has a lot of knowledge to offer newer cruisers...and I totally agree about asking your TA.  This is the policy they are truly enforcing by stating this at the beginning of the phone conversation, due to so many cruisers not understanding the difference of having a TA besides Celebrity...whew, sorry I was so long winded...

Edited by Lastdance

It should be clear t9 you by now that there is not a New Policy affecting calls to the Captain Club.  I suspect you had a pretty good idea that there was not a new policy when you started the thread.

No excuse for a Celebrity employee being rude to you.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:27 AM, CapeCodFlyer said:

I called yesterday to book an internet package for an upcoming cruise.  Although, I booked through a travel agent, the X representative booked the package and gave me the CC discount.  He was very pleasant and helpful on the phone.  As for my travel agent, I called her 4 days ago with a question on my booking and I'm still waiting for a return call.  Think I may book directly with X in the future. 

That is why it is good to have a choice...If you need to make changes and are nervous about getting them done immediately, you should just book directly and not get the extra benefits that you get from booking elsewhere.  For us, that never (yet) need to make changes we would rather get a cheaper cruise (or probably should say added "extras")...knowing that if something needed addressed it might take a couple of days.

14 hours ago, jagoffee said:

It should be clear t9 you by now that there is not a New Policy affecting calls to the Captain Club.  I suspect you had a pretty good idea that there was not a new policy when you started the thread.

No excuse for a Celebrity employee being rude to you.

Actually, I had two reps, one male and one female who told me essentially the same thing, but the male was rude; the female just did not know how to help me and asked me to call management in the morning, as there was no one working when I called.  That is what prompted me to start the thread.  Hope that clarifies my post for you.  However, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and this is Cruise Critic. 

The supervisor I spoke with actually was very surprised and concerned that this had happened; she was going to find out and correct the issues.  Sorry for not making this more clear in my posts, as the rudeness did overshadow the consistencies of my conversations regarding internet.  Yes, it is very clear to me now that there is not a new policy, but they are verbalizing, at the very begining about contacting your TA, which was never stated that way before, as long as I can remember.   For me personally, just two very odd responses to purchasing internet through Captain's Club, especially when I stated my question was regarding internet service...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, varoo said:

I don't see any specialty dining discounts for CC on the Tiers & Benefits page. Are there any?

Also, I don't think I've ever received one of these:

" Eligibility for quarterly Captain's Club Savings Certificates"

what am I missing?

5 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

I don't see any specialty dining discounts for CC on the Tiers & Benefits page. Are there any?

Also, I don't think I've ever received one of these:

" Eligibility for quarterly Captain's Club Savings Certificates"

what am I missing?

Yes, for Elite Plus and Zenith, 15% and 25 % respectively.

The occasional savings certificate sometimes on the digital quarterly newsletter as I recall.  I use to see them on the hard copy “news letter”.  I do not recall what they are called.