New Policy Affecting Calls to Captain's Club...

Lastdance

6 minutes ago, davekathy said:

There is no accuse for being rude as the OP pointed out.  

I agree that folks should not be rude.  But there is a difference between being "abrupt" and rude.  I would be among the last person to defend X Customer service, but do understand that those of us who use cruise/travel agencies are expected to work through our own agents.

Hank

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You forgot to mention if the supervisor went ahead and booked your Internet package with your CC discount or did you still have to do it through your TA?

Yes, everything was taken care of in a very pleasant way just like it has always been done...

• Like 1

As I'm still very new to Celebrity, I have a few comments/questions about everything needing to be routed through my TA.

1) My TA specifically told me to work with the cruiseline for booking airline tickets as the TA has an additional $25 charge to book it and she said why bother and have a middleman in the way.  (This was RCCL, btw, and they did coordinate with my TA and got me flights and itinerary that I couldn't have gotten if I'd booked it myself.  But I feel like it's the same company and probably representative.)

2) I do have to contact my TA for changes to my dining choice, whether I picked a fixed or any time dining (I often forget to choose the right one when booking, or forget to mention it when I book directly with the TA).

3) But for all of the Excursions, Dining Plans, first night discount dining, Internet, Spa, etc.  I've always used the website.  Or, when it won't work correctly (like knowing that I already have a Classic package and just want to upgrade to Premium), I call X.  Admittedly, I've never called Captain's Club, just the regular Customer Service number and everything was handled without question.  Is that the difference?

I like my TAs website better than X's, mostly because I can comparison shop between cruise lines.  In the past, I booked direct and then transferred.  But now I've established a great relationship with my TA and she's super accommodating and helpful and it's just as easy to do my homework and then contact her.

47 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Speaking of Internet Packages, it is actually quite easy to wait until you are aboard and simply purchase a package online by using your own device.  That gets you the current pricing and Captain's Club discount info.  

Hank

I just called to upgrade my simple surfing internet package from one device to two devices.  Two reps told me that I could not obtain the CC internet discount on two devices.  I received it when I booked for one device but it gets taken away when the package is changed to two devices.  It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'll just update it when I get onboard.

10 minutes ago, CapeCodFlyer said:

I just called to upgrade my simple surfing internet package from one device to two devices.  Two reps told me that I could not obtain the CC internet discount on two devices.  I received it when I booked for one device but it gets taken away when the package is changed to two devices.  It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'll just update it when I get onboard.

The website says "Internet discount on the first package purchased" so you would think that the two device surf package would get the discount (must be a glitch in the system -surprise surprise).

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

Edited by vtcruising

26 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

As I'm still very new to Celebrity, I have a few comments/questions about everything needing to be routed through my TA.

1) My TA specifically told me to work with the cruiseline for booking airline tickets as the TA has an additional $25 charge to book it and she said why bother and have a middleman in the way.  (This was RCCL, btw, and they did coordinate with my TA and got me flights and itinerary that I couldn't have gotten if I'd booked it myself.  But I feel like it's the same company and probably representative.)

Your Travel Agent probably should have been more explicit in her instructions...

To the best of my knowledge, Flights By Celebrity  is a subcontractor to Celebrity [and under different references, for purchase of air by guests sailing on sister lines Azamara and Royal Caribbean]…  Please see the following link...  You should be able to book via their website or via a phone call to Flights By Celebrity without involvement of your Travel Agent [some find the commission on the air fare too small to be bothered and, as you've learned, charge a service fee] who arranged your cruise; I have done so frequently--under identical circumstances--with success,

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/flights-by-celebrity 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Speaking of Internet Packages, it is actually quite easy to wait until you are aboard and simply purchase a package online by using your own device.  That gets you the current pricing and Captain's Club discount info.  

What you miss out on buying an Internet package onboard is any pre-cruise “sale”. For example, there’s currently a 10% off sale on my upcoming sailing in my on line cruise planner. I was able to call and get my Elite+ discount applied on top of the sale price. Granted, 10% isn’t all that much, even though it’s for a 14-night cruise, but the more “details” I can get out of the way pre-cruise the more I can enjoy embarkation day.

Too bad the Cruise Planner can’t execute your Captain’s Club discount for online pre-cruise purchases as you can once onboard on your own device. I also wanted to buy one of the 7-bottle wine packages displayed in my Cruise Planner. But every time I try to add to my cart, I get an error code. Another phone call to Celebrity. And the link to FlightsByCelebrity in my Cruise Planner won’t let me book a flight home from Vancouver until the day after disembarkation. The reason is the sailing crosses the International Date Line and their booking system can’t reconcile that fact. Another phone call necessary to remedy.......

If the push is to move away from human call centers to more “do-it-yourself” online handling, then why not fix all the system bugs?  Celebrity’s target audience is a generation that’s quite comfortable with online purchases. But if they wind up having to pick up the phone to complete the simplest of purchases.......

We’re the lucky 10% here on Cruise Critic, learning all the workarounds from one another. But what about the 90% on our voyages that don’t know how to reconcile the online system bugs and are forced to pick up their phones?

Stepping down off my soapbox now! 😉

• Like 1

I have also sent emails (if quick answer not needed) to celebrityonetouch@celebrity.com  (Captain's Club email) and have received phone calls, in some cases within a few hours, and others in up to 2 weeks. I have always had great service from these reps. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 10:40 AM, Lastdance said:

Update:

I did call and spoke with a very nice supervisor.  I explained how I was treated, along with my question regarding the internet.  In addition, she thanked me for letting her know about my experience and apologized for how I was treated.  Furthermore, she will check in to this situation, as she does not want any client experiencing this when they call.  I assured her that this was my first very negative experience from Captain’s Club, in my many years of cruising, along with sharing how wonderful my previous experiences have always been.

Honestly, I am very glad that I perused this and feel Celebrity does need to know when a representative of theirs is not representing the company in a positive way.

Did the supervisor clarify if their procedures have changed?  Will they continue to support customers, even if booked through a TA, with add-ons or do they want EVERYTHING to go through the TA?

56 minutes ago, BEAV said:

What you miss out on buying an Internet package onboard is any pre-cruise “sale”. For example, there’s currently a 10% off sale on my upcoming sailing in my on line cruise planner. I was able to call and get my Elite+ discount applied on top of the sale price. Granted, 10% isn’t all that much, even though it’s for a 14-night cruise, but the more “details” I can get out of the way pre-cruise the more I can enjoy embarkation day.

Good to know! Back to calling our TA to prebook the Internet package, especially if there is a 10% discount promo. Thanks!

To add to my earlier post (too late to edit), there used to be an 800-number to the "Cruise Enhancements" department. This is the number I would previously call to deal with pre-cruise purchases that many of us are now calling the Captain's Club instead. I tried to look up any such phone number on the "Contact Us" area on the website, but there's not a listing. I swear it used to be there! Could it be Celebrity now wants their general call center Agents to handle such transactions? Or is there anyone out there who knows if there's still a special number to call for pre-cruise purchases/enhancements?

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Good to know! Back to calling our TA to prebook the Internet package, especially if there is a 10% discount promo. Thanks!

You might want to check your online Cruise Planner first. If the Internet packages are 10% off on your sailing, there will be a banner advertising it. Good luck! 

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 11:30 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

As I understand it, if you are of a Captains Club level that gives you a discount higher than what is in the planner, you have to call to purchase the internet package.

I'm hoping we can still do things like this through the call center. I was going to call and see about booking a Tortola excursion for my Feb Equinox cruise. I know the one I want, and when you look at Sailing Dates it shows up, but they haven't changed over to the Tortola excursions yet - it's still showing the ones for Punta Cana, which is NOT a stop on this itinerary; Tortola is. I don't want to have to bug my TA with it though.

Hey! We are on the same 2/15/2020 sailing as you and called about this Tortola/Punta Cana thing earlier today.  I had emailed Celebrity One Touch about it a few days ago and got no reply.  They told me they would fix it within 48 hours...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xport said:

Your Travel Agent probably should have been more explicit in her instructions...

To the best of my knowledge, Flights By Celebrity  is a subcontractor to Celebrity [and under different references, for purchase of air by guests sailing on sister lines Azamara and Royal Caribbean]…  Please see the following link...  You should be able to book via their website or via a phone call to Flights By Celebrity without involvement of your Travel Agent [some find the commission on the air fare too small to be bothered and, as you've learned, charge a service fee] who arranged your cruise; I have done so frequently--under identical circumstances--with success,

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/flights-by-celebrity 

Oh, I think she was right.  We "saved" $25/cabin service fee and worked directly with the RCCL equivalent to Flights By Celebrity (I think it's actually the same company that handles all three cruise lines, but I could be wrong).  I just phoned them directly instead of using the website (because the itinerary I wanted wasn't available on any website, I'd just seen it as a routing and it would have been far easier for my parents).  It worked out great.  What I meant by "they coordinated with my TA" was that they informed our TA of our selected flights and any pre-cruise hotels, etc.  So that both the cruise line *and* the TA were aware of our complete itinerary.

38 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Hey! We are on the same 2/15/2020 sailing as you and called about this Tortola/Punta Cana thing earlier today.  I had emailed Celebrity One Touch about it a few days ago and got no reply.  They told me they would fix it within 48 hours...

Awesome! I emailed them today about it. Hopefully if enough people bug them they will fix it!

9 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, that has always been the policy IME.

I believe that a major reason for this is, if X makes an adjustment or change which affects the TA's commission there will be complaints, and loud. Additionally, if there is a reason one booked with or moved their reservation to a TA, then that needs to be the main point of contact UNLESS X calls you directly for some strange reason.

If it is easier to call X for information and changes when booked with a TA, then book with X and keep it there to have the privilege, or so I believe.

I have tried calling X for changes or additions or information and have been asked to call my TA and I accepted that and understood as it takes away time from those who have booked through X... thus many complaints about being on hold for so long.

I Am sure many questions are benign and 'quick', yet to deprive those who have or are booking through X the opportunity to get through quickly for their issues is not really the correct thing to do.

Have I gotten X's agents to make a few changes here and there, yes, but not the right thing to do. I know, I need to get my TA who is getting the commissions and providing me with such wonderful additional 'Perks', 'OBC' and/or 'reduced pricing' to work for it and be at my beck and call. If they are not, guess what, I have selected the incorrect TA if my needs are not met when I need them and not when I want them... LOL

Edited to add: X Rep's have always been courteous when I have called and if they would assist or not.

bon voyage

We have booked with a TA after our first X sailing. I call Captains club for help with cruise enhancements, like dining reservations, shore excursion purchases, spa appointments etc. They are always able to help without exception for these types of requests. Inquiries about changing cabins, upgrading accommodations, changing MDR seating from early, to late, or Select, getting price reductions have to go through the TA since X isn't allowed to touch that part of the bookings.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Just a point of information.  my nephew purchased his cruise from a “big box” store, starting with a C.   He was advised that he couldn’t participate in the move up program as the big big store didn’t participate in the program!  IMO a good reason to book directly   The credits not worth it.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/bid-on-cruise-room-upgrade

This is a link from the Celebrity home page for the Move Up program. You don't have to receive an email nor do you have to book direct with X to participate. Your sailing does have to be no more than 30 days out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Hank, are you saying we can wait to book our Internet package and also get the CC discount applied (we are elite) once we board the ship on the first day and use our TA's OBC they give us? If so, problem solved!

You can do what Hank suggested, but be aware the Internet packages cost about 10% more on board than when they are purchased pre-cruise (even without a sale).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/bid-on-cruise-room-upgrade

This is a link from the Celebrity home page for the Move Up program. You don't have to receive an email nor do you have to book direct with X to participate. Your sailing does have to be no more than 30 days out.

But you do need to be opted-in to Celebrity Marketing to get notified according the FAQs:

Q.

Why did I or someone I’m traveling with not receive an invite to bid on a stateroom upgrade?

A.

To receive an email invitation to bid on a stateroom upgrade guest must be opted-in to Celebrity Marketing e-mails. To opt-in, to receive emails guests can sign up on our website, opt-in through the online check in process or within My Reservations section of website.

44 minutes ago, muffin1327 said:

I have had this Jason before and he is totally rude.

Thank you, muffin1327, for sharing this, as just being abrupt does not describe his behavior.  The sad part is that there are two Jasons; one was actually on vacation!  However, I am sure it would be obvious by the way one is greeted...

It looks like we have various issues and sharing on this post; however, I think that if it helps even one person, it is well worth all the discussion wherever that leads.

Edited by Lastdance

3 hours ago, BEAV said:

To add to my earlier post (too late to edit), there used to be an 800-number to the "Cruise Enhancements" department. This is the number I would previously call to deal with pre-cruise purchases that many of us are now calling the Captain's Club instead. I tried to look up any such phone number on the "Contact Us" area on the website, but there's not a listing. I swear it used to be there! Could it be Celebrity now wants their general call center Agents to handle such transactions? Or is there anyone out there who knows if there's still a special number to call for pre-cruise purchases/enhancements?

The Cruise Enhancements number I've always used is 800-722-5941. I haven't looked for it on the website, but have it written down.

31 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But you do need to be opted-in to Celebrity Marketing to get notified according the FAQs:

Q.

Why did I or someone I’m traveling with not receive an invite to bid on a stateroom upgrade?

A.

To receive an email invitation to bid on a stateroom upgrade guest must be opted-in to Celebrity Marketing e-mails. To opt-in, to receive emails guests can sign up on our website, opt-in through the online check in process or within My Reservations section of website.

Absolutely true, you do need to opt in to receive the email invitation, but you don't have to receive the email invitation to participate in the Move Up bidding. You only need to be within the 30 day sailing window and click the link above. I have done it without receiving the email invitation by clicking the link on the home page that I included in my post #68 on this thread.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

The Cruise Enhancements number I've always used is 800-722-5941. I haven't looked for it on the website, but have it written down.

Thank you! I just dialed that number and it's still valid. It's for assistance with shore excursions, dining/beverage packages, specialty restaurant reservations and general cruise enhancements (such as Internet package purchases) as well as website assistance (there's a biggie!). I have added the number in my phone. 

The number is not listed on the website under "contact us" but is still alive and well. 

Edited by BEAV