Sail and sign cards are now at your room??

I’m cruising next month and have seen that the sail and sign cards are now waiting at your room. When we usually board we buy a drink onboard and get the soda package also. How can you do any of this without your card since cabins don’t usually open until later??

1 minute ago, twinkiegrl333 said:

I’m cruising next month and have seen that the sail and sign cards are now waiting at your room. When we usually board we buy a drink onboard and get the soda package also. How can you do any of this without your card since cabins don’t usually open until later??

You can use your boarding pass.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We haven’t cruised Carnival in a few years and are surprised that the Sail and Sign cards are not given when checking in.  I am just curious as to the rationale behind this change.  Does this make “checking in” and the embarkation process faster?  Doesn’t this pose a risk to passengers when the Sail and Sign Card is left exposed in the stateroom mailbox?  Please help us understand?  🤔

Edited by Lunalvr
wanted to add emoji
  • Like 1

Just now, Lunalvr said:

We haven’t cruised Carnival in a few years and are surprised that the Sail and Sign cards are not given when checking in.  I am just curious as to the rationale behind this change.  Does this make “checking in” and the embarkation process faster?  Doesn’t this pose a risk to passengers when the Sail and Sign Card is left exposed in the stateroom mailbox?  Please help us understand?

It definitely speeds up the check-in process. The cards are in a sealed envelope, so you would know right away if someone tampered with the envelope. The key thing to remember is your picture shows up on the computer screen any time you use your card, so it would be difficult for someone else to use your card.   We have been on at least a dozen cruises, if not more, with this process and I have never had an issue or heard about someone else having an issue with their card being used by someone else. 

• Like 3

Another reason is to keep people who do not have priority access to their stateroom from going straight to the stateroom to drop off luggage.  The Sail&Sign card are not there until your cabin is ready, so if you try to sneak down. you still cannot get into your cabin.  EM

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lunalvr said:

We haven’t cruised Carnival in a few years and are surprised that the Sail and Sign cards are not given when checking in.  I am just curious as to the rationale behind this change.  Does this make “checking in” and the embarkation process faster?  Doesn’t this pose a risk to passengers when the Sail and Sign Card is left exposed in the stateroom mailbox?  Please help us understand?  🤔

On one of our cruises the embarkation was delayed a few hours because they were havin issues getting sail and sign cards to print, so everyone checking in had to wait.  I'm sure they are able to print the cards ahead of time instead of worrying about it at the check in desk.

I have not been on Cartnoval for a few years but as another poster said if it sppeds up the process I am all for it.

I don't think it would present any security risks to anyone as any trespasser would only have access to an empty stateroom any way.

1 minute ago, Bajan Keith said:

I have not been on Cartnoval for a few years but as another poster said if it sppeds up the process I am all for it.

I don't think it would present any security risks to anyone as any trespasser would only have access to an empty stateroom any way.

There have been people posting of concerns, but since the trials and then with implementation across home ports, I have not heard of one substantiated instance.  The cards a re sealed and if one tried to use one, the pic of the embarkation client would show up when they slid the card thru.

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Another reason is to keep people who do not have priority access to their stateroom from going straight to the stateroom to drop off luggage.  The Sail&Sign card are not there until your cabin is ready, so if you try to sneak down. you still cannot get into your cabin.  EM

This ^^^^^^^ is another major reason they changed the process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If it thwarts the entitled rule breakers, then I am all for it!

• Like 6

21 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The key thing to remember is your picture shows up on the computer screen any time you use your card, so it would be difficult for someone else to use your card.   

20 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The cards a re sealed and if one tried to use one, the pic of the embarkation client would show up when they slid the card thru.

I agree that it's never happened yet.  But, the above is only true if you go to the bar yourself.  If you order a drink from one of the servers walking around on the Lido Deck, they just take your folio number and the person that makes the drink just enters your folio number into the computer and never sees your card or your face.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

I agree that it's never happened yet.  But, the above is only true if you go to the bar yourself.  If you order a drink from one of the servers walking around on the Lido Deck, they just take your folio number and the person that makes the drink just enters your folio number into the computer and never sees your card or your face.

Good point. However, even if this happened, it wouldn’t last too long because eventually someone is going to notice their S&S card(s) aren’t there at their door/mailbox. Plus I don’t see someone risking getting kicked off the ship on embarkation day for s few “free “ drinks. 

• Like 1

I agree 100%.  As I said, as far as I know, it's never happened yet.  I would hope that our fellow cruisers are all honest and would never pull a stunt like that.  (Although my one son used his brother's folio number for a few drinks until he got caught.😲)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

If you order from a server, you will either need a boarding pass or card. I would expect them to be suspicious if it was early and you had a non-priority (random stolen) color card.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:52 AM, Essiesmom said:

The Sail&Sign card are not there until your cabin is ready, so if you try to sneak down. you still cannot get into your cabin.

So for the steerage class, the change from getting you card at boarding to in your mailbox/room is a disadvantage.  Sounds to me like Carnival is creating their own mess rather than providing a better solution.