WOW Dress Code has Changed

jc foster

On 4/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, Carnevale said:

Will we be out of place in Blu in a gown and tux on the Evening Chic nights?  We love dressing up so Cunard is currently our line of choice but we are looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise so need advice on this please.

No you will not be out of place dressing formally.   We always wear tux and never feel out of place or over dressed.  You will also see a spattering of formal Kilts.  I think you will find that about 25-30% of the passengers dress with jacket and tie and above.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Sometimes, strangers do care.  A few years ago, I had someone ask me, in tones of great (false) concern, if my bags had been lost “because I always see you wearing the same thing.”  I had my bags, and I wore different things.  He was just a nasty so-and-so.  

I would have asked him if he was lost... seems like he inadvertently ended up in your business.

It is one thing if this was a friendly tease by friends or family, but it amazes me someone you don't know would make such a statement!  Normally you need to go on the internet to get treated like that! 😉

1 hour ago, AL3XCruise said:

I would have asked him if he was lost... seems like he inadvertently ended up in your business.

It is one thing if this was a friendly tease by friends or family, but it amazes me someone you don't know would make such a statement!  Normally you need to go on the internet to get treated like that! 😉

Or you could tell them you have seven of the same outfit, you just like it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Where were you guys when I needed you? 😀  I was dumbfounded that he’d be so rude.

(He was a nasty piece of work all round.  This was in the days when Michael’s Club had just turned into the Lounge for suite passengers, and only the top suites were allowed in.  DH and I had been invited in a couple of times to join our friends, who were in one of those suites.  We had our own drinks package, so we weren’t drinking their free booze, just taking up two seats for tea with the string quartet.  The Concierge had been consulted and given her approval.  We didn’t hang out there at other times.  Nasty Guy complained to her, the Hotel Director, the Captain, all the way up to Miami.  We were first asked not to go into Michael’s again, and then told oh, ok, it’s all right after all.  Of course we never darkened Michael’s doorway again.)

5 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Where were you guys when I needed you? 😀  I was dumbfounded that he’d be so rude.

(He was a nasty piece of work all round.  This was in the days when Michael’s Club had just turned into the Lounge for suite passengers, and only the top suites were allowed in.  DH and I had been invited in a couple of times to join our friends, who were in one of those suites.  We had our own drinks package, so we weren’t drinking their free booze, just taking up two seats for tea with the string quartet.  The Concierge had been consulted and given her approval.  We didn’t hang out there at other times.  Nasty Guy complained to her, the Hotel Director, the Captain, all the way up to Miami.  We were first asked not to go into Michael’s again, and then told oh, ok, it’s all right after all.  Of course we never darkened Michael’s doorway again.)

Imagine his reaction when they changed it to all the suites.

We have recently returned from a cruise on the Millennium from Singapore to Hong Kong.  This was particularly 'dressy' in our opinion as we saw lots of formal wear on evening chic and even gowns.  As a couple we like to  dress on evening chic nights with my DH in a tux and I generally wear a cocktail dress.   We dined in Blu  and there were a mix of styles.   We never worry about what others wear,  but personally we would rather be overdressed than underdressed!  We are off on the Edge in September with our daughter and son-in-law and they cannot wait to get their glad rags out!  

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 1:46 AM, Toftwood said:

Except shorts and t-shirts !!

On our recent Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Equinox,  I saw a number of gents wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner.  Every night.  Maitre D’ did not care.   

Enjoy,

Edited by Kingofcool1947

32 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

On our recent Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Equinox,  I saw a number of gents wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner.  Every night.  Maitre D’ did not care.   

Enjoy,

I've only seen that once on a Summit Caribbean cruise back in 2012.

10 hours ago, dkjretired said:

I would have just told him I appreciated his concern but I like to pack light - and then just laughed.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 9:50 AM, dkjretired said:

We had a similar thing happen one night coming back from the pool, we were in our pool clothes with coverup and the  woman made a nasty comment.  I simply replied to her that she needs to go read the dress code since the 6:00 P.M. cut off had been eliminated several years prior.  I think we decided to eat in the buffet that night. 

How are people so rude??? As long as you aren't naked, what someone else is wearing is non of my concern, dress code or not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, agibeault said:

I am like you. Maybe I will put a few snappy comebacks on my packing list just in case lol 

Just remember that anyone commenting on the attire of others is required to be wearing their Fashion Police credentials in plain view at all times.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No you will not be out of place dressing formally.   We always wear tux and never feel out of place or over dressed.  You will also see a spattering of formal Kilts.  I think you will find that about 25-30% of the passengers dress with jacket and tie and above.

Many thanks for this input.  I am really looking forward to your posts from your upcoming cruise on Infinity.  Have a great time!

On 4/11/2019 at 11:29 AM, hcat said:

X already has white night deck party and a tropical deck party .....,and sometimes 70s and 80s nights...plus Halloween etc..

Other ideas are cute and creative, but 

Chic Night gives everyone a chance to dress up based on their own image of chic...It has been successful...Hope they keep it! Two dressier nights per cuise keeps it classy

I've heard of the white party on CC, but not the tropical deck party.  Do they give a heads up before sailing about these?  I'm on the 9 night in the Med in August and enjoy taking part in these type of things.  I'd hate to be on board thinking I had the perfect outfit for this if only I'd known it was happening.

I've never seen any advance notice of onboard theme parties pre-cruise, except for ones that were arranged between fellow cruisers on Roll Calls, such as cabin crawls, Sail Away parties and the like. White parties, Halloween, etc. are arranged by the CD and entertainment staff and are announced on board in my experience.

European and Asian sailings are noticeably more dressy than those in the Caribbean. 

Whilst the specialties, Blu and Luminae are smart casual nightly, you'll find that Luminae is possibly the restaurant with the highest percentage of diners who've dressed up with Blu not too far behind. 

I have seen people in t shirts n the MDR on chic night. But no shorts! 

On 4/11/2019 at 6:11 PM, Fogfog said:

🤣🤣

One thing that helped is I stopped being the family pharmacy etc. Stopped bringing Advil for all, Benedryl for all, bandaids for all, sinus headache tabs or antacid etc. If you want it--you pack it. That took A LOT out of my bag 🙂

Until you cruise to a place where they don’t stock what you need. I found in Au/NZ that I couldn’t buy antihistamine cream over-the-counter. Now, that’s the section of packing I don’t scrimp on - can really ruin your cruise.

As for dress code, we’ve found it’s ‘anything goes’ on X - we’ve seen everything from shorts, sports tops and the tux on Chic night. 

On 4/10/2019 at 12:34 AM, Carnevale said:

Will we be out of place in Blu in a gown and tux on the Evening Chic nights?  We love dressing up so Cunard is currently our line of choice but we are looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise so need advice on this please.

Well, you will not need the numerous "outfits" that Cunard requires ( if you go along with the black/white Ball etc) because you enjoy dressing up you can still do it once or twice and never feel "different"  Heck you can dress to the nines every night and Celebrity passengers will give you the same welcoming smile that you'll get if your in a nice dress, slacks etc...

On 4/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, Carnevale said:

Of course  not.   If you love dressing up, wear your gown and tux if you enjoy.   Better to be overdressed than underdressed.  Look at what other PAXs wear.

Good luck.   Enjoy.

• Like 1

Re your post of wearing a gown and dinner suit in Blu-can’t answer that as we were in the main dining room. However, it seemed on our Reflection Mediterranean cruise that pre-dinner, people were dressier in the Martini bar as opposed to other bars. Our first Celebrity cruise, so don’t know if this is typical or not.

25 minutes ago, Csardas said:

Re your post of wearing a gown and dinner suit in Blu-can’t answer that as we were in the main dining room. However, it seemed on our Reflection Mediterranean cruise that pre-dinner, people were dressier in the Martini bar as opposed to other bars. Our first Celebrity cruise, so don’t know if this is typical or not.

The Med is more dressier than many other regions. You’ll see this if you do any further cruises to other parts of the world.