Plastic straw ban? (If so, substitutes on board?)

GeezerCouple

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Look at your clothing.  A lot of polyester in there. 

You must be talking about your own clothing.  Not mine.

I frequently see the attitude of 'well, if the whole problem can't be solved then I won't do anything.'

1 hour ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

I guess grocery stores and Costco didn't get the memo that plastic has long been replaced.  There are many plastic bottles and containers. Ditto a section for plastic straws.

The "we" I referred to is my family.  Just because I can't change the world doesn't give me an excuse to do nothing.

2 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

I guess grocery stores and Costco didn't get the memo that plastic has long been replaced.  There are many plastic bottles and containers. Ditto a section for plastic straws.

Just giving their customers what they want and they have plenty of them. More every year.  They do a great job. 

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Just giving their customers what they want and they have plenty of them. More every year.  They do a great job. 

Unlike Oceania's quick jump into the politically correct world. Taking actions (re:straws and water bottles)which offer the  façade of protecting the environment without making a real difference, yet inconveniencing their customers.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, edgee said:

Unlike Oceania's quick jump into the politically correct world. Taking actions (re:straws and water bottles)which offer the  façade of protecting the environment without making a real difference, yet inconveniencing their customers.

They seem to be doing more of that lately  like cutting back on their loyalty program.  Need more happy guests, not less.   

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

They seem to be doing more of that lately  like cutting back on their loyalty program.  Need more happy guests, not less.   

Any unhappy guests are free to search elsewhere for a better product.

There isn't any, at anywhere NEAR Oceania's price point.

They come, they go, They ALWAYS return.  

• Thanks 1

Our country club initially moved to paper straws, but is replacing them with straws made from bamboo that are very similar to plastic straws in durability and mouth feel. Paper straws disintegrate and impart an odd mouthfeel and taste. 

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Any unhappy guests are free to search elsewhere for a better product.

There isn't any, at anywhere NEAR Oceania's price point.

They come, they go, They ALWAYS return.  

Your point about Oceania's product generally hitting a great niche/price point for value received is a valid one. However that does not mean that sharing constructive criticism, especially on a website called Cruise Critic is not in order. 

47 minutes ago, JPR said:

Our country club initially moved to paper straws, but is replacing them with straws made from bamboo that are very similar to plastic straws in durability and mouth feel. Paper straws disintegrate and impart an odd mouthfeel and taste. 

I wonder if that's what we're seeing in Seattle.  They definitely look like plastic but feel even sturdier.  Is that what you're experiencing?

4 hours ago, edgee said:

Your point about Oceania's product generally hitting a great niche/price point for value received is a valid one. However that does not mean that sharing constructive criticism, especially on a website called Cruise Critic is not in order. 

Yet you have to wonder just how constructive it is to endlessly bemoan altered Loyalty benefits when the competition is so obviously substandard.

48 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Yet you have to wonder just how constructive it is to endlessly bemoan altered Loyalty benefits when the competition is so obviously substandard.

Add to that discussion/disagreements re proper adherence/enforcement of dress code, earliest catchable flight post disembarkation, using a TA vs booking direct with cruise line, overly talkative cruise directors, Oceania's poor evening entertainment, Oceania included air and routings they sometimes choose,  specialty restaurant reservation  limitations, high cost of alcoholic beverages and shore excursions.....lots of repetitive opinions on many topics we see on this board.

14 hours ago, edgee said:

+ 1

18 hours ago, StanandJim said:

May be obvious to you, but not to most of the rest of us. 

20 hours ago, StanandJim said:

This remains to be seen (for us).

We have been very happy with our Azamara cruises, and will be trying O on Sirena next April.

This will be a direct comparison of the 2 rival brands since we are used to the R class ships.

Many people on the Azamara forum mention that they have tried Oceania but much prefer Azamara.

Edited by bbqoug
added context.

53 minutes ago, bbqoug said:

Many people on the Azamara forum mention that they have tried Oceania but much prefer Azamara.

I don't find that surprising.  Many people here have tried Azamara and prefer Oceania.

Not having gone on Azamara ourselves, I make no judgments.  I know that one factor that Azamara fans like is the "friendliness" of the crew.  But for us, the Oceania crew is as friendly as we want to be.

No one is wrong here.  You like what you like!  I'm not attracted to many of the "extra activities" that Azamara fans like so we stick with Oceania.  Occasionally I have looked at Azamara for one of the itineraries that so many people like, but haven't found anything yet.  But I'm sure Azamara will survive without us!

Mura

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mura said:

But I'm sure Azamara will survive without us!

From your mouth to Gods ear, Mura-

Yet the lack of RCCL capital to fund a new construction vessel, AFTER ALL THESE YEARS

Does make us wonder.

I'd be loathe to make long term plans on one of their vessels.

Reminds us too much of Sitmar before Princess simply absorbed them.

YMMV

Edited by StanandJim
  • Like 1

I mentioned earlier on this thread, I think, that I recently purchased reuseable shatter-proof glass straws from Amazon ($10.99 for six straws with 2 cleaning brushes).  I haven't used them for drinking yet but they worked just fine when I sucked the air out of a ziploc bag ...

Amazon has many different types available.  No doubt other sites do as well!

Mura

1 hour ago, Mura said:

Amazon has many different types available.  No doubt other sites do as well!

I say that if you can't find it on Amazon, then clearly you don't really need it 🙂

I saw on the link to the bamboo ones that they can go in the dishwasher.  They absolutely like plastic but just a smidge sturdier feeling.

27 minutes ago, clo said:

I say that if you can't find it on Amazon, then clearly you don't really need it 🙂

I saw on the link to the bamboo ones that they can go in the dishwasher.  They absolutely like plastic but just a smidge sturdier feeling.

Cath! Good evening my friend! So I have those straws love them. Hate paper straws here in San Diego at Starbucks and soooo many places have replaced them as well as plastic products! We live at the beach in Leucadia and try eating at some outdoor places with these weird paper products as utensils! I like bamboo and have a lot of products at home! I will bring some of my bamboo straws on trip next year !

Have a good evening!! 

Denise😊