Plastic straw ban? (If so, substitutes on board?)

GeezerCouple

3 hours ago, StanandJim said:

How about drinking from the glass?  

I think the whole point of this thread is that people do not just want to drink from the glass.   They want straws.  

• Like 2

Correct. Many drinks are difficult to drink straight out of the glass or cup without spilling or otherwise making a mess, like cocktails filled with crushed ice, iced tea, iced coffee, iced sodas, and milk shakes and smoothies.

And try drinking out of a glass/cup directly when you’re reclined by the pool on a chaise. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

They absorb moisture, become soggy and collapse. In my experience, one paper straw won't last through the time it takes to drink a milkshake. Same result with having iced tea with a refill or two.

It's like been 50 years since I've had a milkshake and I don't drink an entire drink with a straw so I've found them completely fine.  I even bring them home from our fave Mexican/Margarita place.  And I'm doing something for the planet which makes it all worthwhile.  If it bothered me I'd bring my own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aquidneck1 said:

The straws on Oceania add a paper taste to the drink.  I am going to bring my own.  Just can't decide which ones.  

Too bad that Oceania is trying so hard to be politically correct that they make their guests suffer.  We will bring our own and enjoy our drinks.   Hopefully they will get enough complaints that they will change this stupid policy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

They absorb moisture, become soggy and collapse. In my experience, one paper straw won't last through the time it takes to drink a milkshake. Same result with having iced tea with a refill or two.

Exactly,  speaking of burgers I saw the Impossible burger at the grill in terrace yesterday. 

21 minutes ago, clo said:

On the subject of plastic I now own four pairs of shoes made from recycled plastic bottles!

How many straws would it take to make a pair of shoes? Really good. Now we do not need to use paper straws, just make shoes from the old plastic one's.

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

How many straws would it take to make a pair of shoes? Really good. Now we do not need to use paper straws, just make shoes from the old plastic one's.

LOL.  They actually can't recycle plastic straws because they literally "fall through the cracks" of the machine.  But darn cute shoes.

20190912_110621 - Edited (1).jpg

1 hour ago, clo said:

LOL.  They actually can't recycle plastic straws because they literally "fall through the cracks" of the machine.  But darn cute shoes.

20190912_110621 - Edited (1).jpg

What a lame reason.  Make a machine that does not have cracks.  Does not sound too hard to do if they want to.  We went to the Moon, didn't we? 

On 8/20/2019 at 2:08 PM, TrulyBlonde said:

The poor Butler.....I am sure they have seen everything 

Agree with that. We have loved every butler that we have, on Oceania and other ships.   Wouldn't leave home without him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RJB said:

What a lame reason.  Make a machine that does not have cracks.  Does not sound too hard to do if they want to.  We went to the Moon, didn't we? 

We had the technology and desire to go to the moon 50 years ago, but have neither today. Same with recycling straws!

Issue is, with today’s low cost of crude oil it is far less expensive to make PEP and the other compounds from virgin refined products than it is from the recycling streams. Few are willing to pay a large premium for recycled straws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

We had the technology and desire to go to the moon 50 years ago, but have neither today. Same with recycling straws!

Issue is, with today’s low cost of crude oil it is far less expensive to make PEP and the other compounds from virgin refined products than it is from the recycling streams. Few are willing to pay a large premium for recycled straws.

Somewhere along the line we will pay a large premium for getting rid of straws, plastic bags and bottles.  Whatever we replace them with probably will cost more. 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Somewhere along the line we will pay a large premium for getting rid of straws, plastic bags and bottles.  Whatever we replace them with probably will cost more. 

We've already replaced them.  Long since.

14 hours ago, clo said:

14 hours ago, clo said:

Look around. They are mostly still there.   Look at your clothing.  A lot of polyester in there.  Not easy to replace and probably do not want to. 

24 minutes ago, RJB said:

Can't wait until mid Nov. when we do the Carib. and get him back again.   Any of them will be fine.  

I am actually leaving end of Oct. for Asia but with Celebrity due to timing and itinerary. We took their PH suite (YUGE) and they have very good butlers. They do an excellent job with their Suite Class.

Enjoy the Carib and hurricane season should be over 🙂