Plastic straw ban? (If so, substitutes on board?)

GeezerCouple

Is Oceania banning (or should I rephrase as "no longer providing) plastic straws?

If so, do they offer paper straws?  Sell the collapsible versions?

It's seeming like this is something we should start getting used to, and probably on land as well.

Thanks.

GC

Personally, I never use them in drinks. Milkshakes, while driving down the road, occasionally! Onboard, just as easy to use a long handled spoon. Straws are No loose to me. Wooden spikes for my olives in martinis are fine!

• Like 1

had  a milkshake today  asked for  a straw  as I do not like to have the pink mustache  or wear it on my clothes ...

it is  a thick paper straw...  works fine

I only use them for milkshakes

YMMV

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

had  a milkshake today  asked for  a straw  as I do not like to have the pink mustache  or wear it on my clothes ...

YMMV

Absolutely agree. Used thick paper straws on Riviera last month..worked fine.

58 minutes ago, edgee said:

Absolutely agree. Used thick paper straws on Riviera last month..worked fine.

These were probably what many of us grew up with, before "plastic" was everywhere (in "The Graduate" and beyond :classic_smile: ).

As long as these are available, all should be fine.

GC

• Like 2

did  an experiment last night

stirred my drink with the straw  worked fine for drinking afterward

let the straw stand in the drink for over 30 mins ..still intact for drinking

Just my experience 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Holy Moly...there's a whole reusable straw industry out there.  

https://www.interiorsandsources.com/news/design-news/news-detail/articleid/22252/title/your-guide-to-straws

Change is a comin'. Guess we just have to suck it up 😁

Wonder how you clean them 🤔

Edited by 1985rz1

I'm wondering if O is rethinking the idea of scheduling this TA in early April!  Back in 2014 we had beautiful weather most of the time in May ... not exactly sunbathing weather most of the time, but not all that cold!

Mura

2 hours ago, Mura said:

I'm wondering if O is rethinking the idea of scheduling this TA in early April!  Back in 2014 we had beautiful weather most of the time in May ... not exactly sunbathing weather most of the time, but not all that cold!

Mura

We did it end of May, 2013 and the weather was pretty warm.   Not summertime but great for sightseeing.    And we had plastic straws that no one threw overboard.   They need to rethink that policy.  

Edited by RJB

On April 12, 2019 at 7:28 AM, LHT28 said:

YMMV

I found them to have a sandpaper feel. I only get them with the milkshake and of course my favorite frozen espresso cappucino🐰🐰

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Is Oceania banning (or should I rephrase as "no longer providing) plastic straws?

If so, do they offer paper straws?  Sell the collapsible versions?

It's seeming like this is something we should start getting used to, and probably on land as well.

Thanks.

GC

We got paper straws, which tended to collapse at the ends after awhile. Did not bother us.

• 3 months later...

I'm late to the game on this one but I got curious and did a search on Amazon for reuseable straws, and they have a number of them for reasonable prices.

I purchased 6 Reusable Bent Glass Drinking Straws, Set of 6 With 2 Cleaning Brushes,Shatter Resistant,BPA Free, Non-Toxic, Eco-Friendly, 200mm x 10mm (Bent 8'' x10mm, Multi Color) for $10.99.  I'm a prime member so no shipping.

These look very sturdy but I haven't used them yet.  Normally at home I don't really need them but sometimes I want to suck the air out of a freezer bag ...

They have a number of options.  Usually these are stainless steel or silicone.  All are washable.

The stainless steel variety do seem to be cheaper ...

On 4/12/2019 at 2:12 PM, no fuss travel said:

On the ATW, some people did bring their own straws that could be reused.  The only thing I will say about the paper straws is don't try to mix your drink with them.  They will collapse then.  They were fine if you just drank the drink.

I mainly use a straw to mix my drink and have no problem with the paper ones.  Also it won't be long, I'm betting, that the paper ones will be replaced with some that really appear to be plastic (feel a little different) that are compostable.  I've seen them in Seattle.

Sorry, but some of us hate the mouthfeel of paper straws. There are biodegradable bamboo and other substitutes available that are slightly more expensive but far more durable and look and feel like plastic straws. I too will bring my own.

Banning plastic straws was classic overwrought “virtue signaling” based on junk science by a nine year old.  The plastic sippee tops that Starbucks introduced are unsanitary and messy, and use more plastic than the straws they replaced.

• Like 1