Federal Judge considers sanctions affecting Carnival that could affect cruises

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Polluting Glacier Bay?  How sad is that?  All Carnival branded ships should be banned from entering that preserve!

I can't believe Holland only had to pay a $250 fine for that. I've literally gotten a speeding ticket for more than that (young & reckless days). Dumping 26,000 gallons of gray water...not just in a national park, but in such a pristine area...and only fined $250. I thought that was a typo. I'm still hoping it is.

33 minutes ago, scoobikins said:

Hospitals do this on an almost yearly basis, in preparation for Joint Commission. The only thing I can think is that they are saying they are 'scrubbing' their records in order to avoid getting cited.

I don't think it was simply about preparing for one of the audits. I think they were actively covering up the violations they knew they didn't fix. One email stated, “It would be really important to go onboard on August 12 for one week in order to have time to manage issues before the audits and avoid findings."  And another mentioned “prevent audit findings." It really sounds like they knew there were violations, which means they were knowingly failing to comply with court orders.

Edited by Organized Chaos

This upsets me greatly.  Our poor planet.  I have a cruise scheduled for this June and even though I have had it planned for over a year, and was really looking forward to going, I still hope they throw the book at Carnival and they are not allowed to dock or even worse.  I really feel like the beards should be held accountable along with the workers who actually did the illegal dumping.  Perhaps if more corporate beards were held accountable with jail time, or some other form of actual punishment that would PERSONALLY punish them, there would be more compliance.

All these posts from people upset about missing their cruise....look at the bigger picture of what is at stake here.   The very planet we live on is getting ruined.    I for one will be thrilled if Carnival is made to pay.  Even if I lose my cruise.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, moongal said:

This upsets me greatly.  Our poor planet.  I have a cruise scheduled for this June and even though I have had it planned for over a year, and was really looking forward to going, I still hope they throw the book at Carnival and they are not allowed to dock or even worse.  I really feel like the beards should be held accountable along with the workers who actually did the illegal dumping.  Perhaps if more corporate beards were held accountable with jail time, or some other form of actual punishment that would PERSONALLY punish them, there would be more compliance.

All these posts from people upset about missing their cruise....look at the bigger picture of what is at stake here.   The very planet we live on is getting ruined.    I for one will be thrilled if Carnival is made to pay.  Even if I lose my cruise.

I agree, 🌎!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Very likely that onboard personnel will face some jail time, but I doubt any corporate types will go to jail.  If past results hold this time, the corporate types will plead guilty and become felons.  Some, if US citizens could be banned from management of shipping in the future.

Serious stuff

57 minutes ago, scoobikins said:

Hospitals do this on an almost yearly basis, in preparation for Joint Commission. The only thing I can think is that they are saying they are 'scrubbing' their records in order to avoid getting cited.

Avoiding finding is common business process.  Falsifying records to do is not. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Avoiding finding is common business process.  Falsifying records to do is not. 

Not sure about falsifying but recycling shredded documents is an environmentally friendly practice. Think of how many trees this would save.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, moongal said:

I agree. Cruise on 4/29/19. I am a shareholder. Disappointed in Carnival.

8 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Not sure about falsifying but recycling shredded documents is an environmentally friendly practice. Think of how many trees this would save.

So create documents that explain how to avoid or get around both regulations and environmental law and then shred them so the evidence is destroyed?  That's good ecology???   Yawzaa!!!

Edited by evandbob

49 minutes ago, moongal said:

I believe if they have done things  that are illegal then the responsible people need to have a meaningful punishment. I do not think I should be punish for it by losing my money or not being able to have my vacation. Just because people are concerned about how it will affect them does not mean they don't care about the environment. 

• Like 4

I think those responsible should be punished.  I am sure the majority of Carnival employees have nothing to do with the criminal actions of a few or negligent management of those who committed crimes.  What the judge is threatening will actually harm many innocent people.  It will harm innocent employees and customers.  It will harm the lives of those who depend on the Carnival cruise ships in port areas, along with owners and employees of restaurants and hotels.  Punish the people who committed crimes. Make the punishments count.  A blanket punishment that will be devastating to so many people is overkill and (to me) an abuse of power.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SandiLynn said:

I believe if they have done things  that are illegal then the responsible people need to have a meaningful punishment. I do not think I should be punish for it by losing my money or not being able to have my vacation. Just because people are concerned about how it will affect them does not mean they don't care about the environment. 

Agreed . When individuals start being held responsible for their actions, you will see changes. That includes the people who did it, the people who gave the orders and any who covered it up. It would be foolish to ban them from dock in, which would cost every US port a major loss of income. This would affect scores of peoples livelihood from the port itself to suppliers, hoteliers etc etc. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thorncroft said:

So the straws and pens were just virtue signaling? Boeing and Carnival are demonstrating how to create an unnecessary train wreck, without a train. 

My first thought on reading the initial post was of the pens being eliminated. SMH 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

1 hour ago, moongal said:

With you 100 percent!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Well, boo hoo.  I guess Carnival Corp should have thought of that before they created this culture of lawlessness. I'm so mad I'm ready to sell my stock and never set foot on another Carnival branded ship. 

Right now might not be the optimal time for stock selling......oh, and I think you forgot a hoo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think those responsible should be punished.  I am sure the majority of Carnival employees have nothing to do with the criminal actions of a few or negligent management of those who committed crimes.  What the judge is threatening will actually harm many innocent people.  It will harm innocent employees and customers.  It will harm the lives of those who depend on the Carnival cruise ships in port areas, along with owners and employees of restaurants and hotels.  Punish the people who committed crimes. Make the punishments count.  A blanket punishment that will be devastating to so many people is overkill and (to me) an abuse of power.

I agree completely.   Those responsible should be held accountable.  It is a complete abuse of power for the judge to threaten the cruise line with ruin.  She obviously has a bias against cruise lines.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

I agree completely.   Those responsible should be held accountable.  It is a complete abuse of power for the judge to threaten the cruise line with ruin.  She obviously has a bias against cruise lines.

She wants to singlehandedly take down an entire company.  When a person or people who work for a large company commit crimes, those people are prosecuted and/or the company pays a huge fine. A judge doesn't take down the entire company and punish everyone.  It's crazy.  I think the judge is on a power trip and it's an irrational threat.

Hopefully, reasonable and appropriate measures will prevail that will make those in charge and those responsible accountable so that something like this does not happen again.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

You know it won't come to that. They'll be hit with a breathtaking, precedent setting fine. A few higher ups will fall on their swords to keep from being charged with felonies and business will continue as usual. Meanwhile, memos are circulating at the competition that anyone caught magic piping will be hung from the mast by their gonads. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

You know it won't come to that. They'll be hit with a breathtaking, precedent setting fine. A few higher ups will fall on their swords to keep from being charged with felonies and business will continue as usual. Meanwhile, memos are circulating at the competition that anyone caught magic piping will be hung from the mast by their gonads. 

Sounds fairly painful.....

• Haha 1

If the judge is willing to go that far, you wonder if there will be some deal that Carnival has so many days to find a buyer - the Federal Reserve has done this with banks - reportedly National City was within 24 hours of going under before being acquired by PNC. MSC and Hapag-Lloyd  could greatly expand their passenger operations. Royal would probably have to concentrate on Europe to avoid anti-trust issues in the USA. Dream Cruises and Norwegian may not be big enough to buy any brand in its entirety, but they could wind up with some additional ships.

There’s also the possibility of a non-cruise operator like an airline or hotel chain acquiring the company.

U.S. District Judge Patricia Seitz,

Has she been investigated now too?

Youall know about what B.P. did in Alaska, Texas, and the Gulf of Mexico ?

That spill in Alaska they, BP, were paid in full to clean it up. Did they? Nope not yet. Valdez the animals and creatures never have returned. The Alaskan Pipeline they were paid to manage and scrub.. Another OOPS they did not do what they were paid to do. Environmental OIL spill disasters.

Texas not just the massive loss of American lives which occured on land as well in the Gulf of Mexico but severe damages done to the environment.In the Gulf it is still occuring..

With CCL :NYSE LSE CUK  they need to go through the Federal Court System , IMHO. But a change of venue needs to happen as in actuality Carvnival has few ships which cruise from two Boroughs of the New York City Docks.

Edited by AAAAmerican
Sp.

1 hour ago, AAAAmerican said:

U.S. District Judge Patricia Seitz,

Has she been investigated now too?

Youall know about what B.P. did in Alaska, Texas, and the Gulf of Mexico ?

That spill in Alaska they, BP, were paid in full to clean it up. Did they? Nope not yet. Valdez the animals and creatures never have returned. The Alaskan Pipeline they were paid to manage and scrub.. Another OOPS they did not do what they were paid to do. Environmental OIL spill disasters.

Texas not just the massive loss of American lives which occured on land as well in the Gulf of Mexico but severe damages done to the environment.In the Gulf it is still occuring..

With CCL :NYSE LSE CUK  they need to go through the Federal Court System , IMHO. But a change of venue needs to happen as in actuality Carvnival has few ships which cruise from two Boroughs of the New York City Docks.

Valdez was Exxon.   But your point is well taken.