formal nights

milo696

Is there anyway of knowing before your cruise what nights will be formal nights? Our 1st cruise, for7 nights, appears there will be 2 formal nights, but don't know when. 

Not particularly interested in the formal nights, would like perhaps to submit some reservations but don't want to do it on formal nights.

golden princess in July if that helps any

thanks for any info

Edited by milo696

1 minute ago, milo696 said:

Is there anyway of knowing before your cruise what nights will be formal nights? Our 1st cruise, for7 nights, appears there will be 2 formal nights, but don't know when. 

Not particularly interested in the formal nights, would like perhaps to submit some reservations but don't want to do it on formal nights.

golden princess in July if that helps any

thanks for any info

What cruise?

Formal nights on Southbound Alaska cruises (Whittier to Vancouver) are almost always Night 2 (Hubbard Glacier) and Night 6 (Ketchikan). Princess never has formal nights the last day of the cruise.

And as for "submitting reservations" if you are referring to Specialty Dining you have it backwards: the formal night dress code does not apply in any venues other than the Main Dining Rooms. Those two nights may be the busiest at Sabatini's or Crown Grill filled with those who choose to avoid formal night in the MDR. (But if I am misreading your intent and you wish to not reserve specialty dining on formal nights because you do wish to dress up for the MDR those nights, then by all means choose nights other than the second or sixth)

• Like 1

In planning your dining strategy, you should consider going to the Main Dining Room (MDR) on the formal nights, even if you do not plan to dress up to the level of the "suggested attire".  The menu options are upgraded on those nights.  Perhaps not as much as they have been in the past, but still, it is a better level of dining.  Then, you can supplement those nights with trips to Specialty Restaurants on other nights.  So if you do two formal nights in the MDR and two other nights in Specialty Restaurants, then dinner on 4 of your 7 nights should be pretty darn good, all things considered.  Just a thought to consider for a first time cruiser.  And I practice what I preach.  We usually do Specialty on nights one and seven, enjoy the MDR on formal nights, and take it from there.  The other three nights will be some combination of MDR/Specialty/Horizon Court Buffet or off the ship if we are in port long enough.

Edited by JimmyVWine

28 minutes ago, milo696 said:

So you can do the MDR on formal nights...without being formal?

Sorry for what might seem like ignorant questions, but again, 1st cruise and I figured formal meant formal.

Thanks

Many do not bother with the full dressing up.

DH started out wearing suits, now wears a black turtle neck sweater with black pants. He looks dressy, but not formal by any means.

I bought 2 long dresses when we first started cruising and still take at least one of them on each cruise. They aren't "formal" dresses, but they are long.

I've seen t-shirts with jeans...definitely not formal, as well as really fancy, formal clothes with everything in between.

Wear what you are comfortable in, just maybe a little nicer than the non-formal nights.

37 minutes ago, milo696 said:

So you can do the MDR on formal nights...without being formal?

Sorry for what might seem like ignorant questions, but again, 1st cruise and I figured formal meant formal.

Thanks

It's not an ignorant question and is one that has launched more responses than Helen's face launched ships.  Without trying to start another such debate, you simply need to know that Princess does NOT employ velvet rope bouncers who give everyone the once over, deciding who gets in to the MDR and who does not.  For men, slacks and a collared shirt will do just fine, just as it would on any other night.  That may not be what some here would like to see on formal night, but the only opinion that matters is Princess, and I can assure you that in Alaska, you needn't worry about tuxedos, dark suits or blazers.  Bring them if you wish.  But slacks and a collared shirt would place a man in the median range of attire for the evening, and for women, simply dress in a manner that would match that level of "formality" and you are good to go.

Will not be the last day at sea, Friday 12th, as that is the day passengers pack to disembark.

Probably, Juneau, July 10th. 2nd night, just a guess. The first three nights you will sail late. Traditional dining will most likely be open seating. 

You can enter the DR in the evening without being formally dressed. For men just long pants and a nice shirt. For women a nice outfit. Just no shorts.

There are 3 Golden Princess sailings before yours. Maybe once they sail you could ask again.

Don't concern yourself to much with the style of formal clothing. Just wear something nice on formal nights & you'll be fine on any Princess ship. They've stopped being to picky as to what "formal' actually means and let the people decide for themselves on how to dress.  

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Don't concern yourself to much with the style of formal clothing. Just wear something nice on formal nights & you'll be fine on any Princess ship. They've stopped being to picky as to what "formal' actually means and let the people decide for themselves on how to dress.  

I'm hearing more and more about approaches like this.  I admit that I've been in the tie/sport coat crowd on formal nights and felt good about it.  However, we're doing the Med. soon and I'm actually thinking of not packing a sports coat.  I'm torn, since I don't like to create waves and I do understand why Princess promotes the formal night.  Frankly, it does add a bit to the cruise for me too.  Yet, here I am, maybe violating such an atmosphere a bit myself.  FWIW, we've skipped a formal night MDR to be able to dress more casually, yet we "cheated" some be enjoying those that chose to wear formal attire for the evening.  

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Exactly ... Just wear what you would normally wear on any other night to the MDR and you will be fine.  :classic_wink:

We are not taking any formal clothing on our next Mediterranean cruise so will not go to the MDR on those nights.  It's interesting that some have said it's Ok not to wear formal on those nights to the dining room but the attachment below is off the Princess website (and also on my travel documents).  While we will be "smart", my parter will have dressy jeans on and we don't want to upset anyone else who does want to enjoy the formal atmosphere.  We are simply over doing formal and are planning on packing very light this trip.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 2.33.11 PM.png

Edited by Scottygirl1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

We are not taking any formal clothing on our next Mediterranean cruise so will not go to the MDR on those nights.  It's interesting that some have said it's Ok not to wear formal on those nights to the dining room but the attachment below is off the Princess website (and also on my travel documents).  While we will be "smart", my parter will have dressy jeans on and we don't want to upset anyone else who does want to enjoy the formal atmosphere.  We are simply over doing formal and are planning on packing very light this trip.

I no longer wear tux, dinner jacket, or dark suit.  Stopped that years ago.

Now I wear a guayabera shirt with slacks for Formal Night dining in the MDR.  Never been denied admission.. I couldn’t care less what other PAXs wear.  It’s only those kind of Fashion Police PAXs do though.

Enjoy.  Whatever you decide to wear.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

4 hours ago, c-boy said:

and  was just sized up for a Giorgio Fiorino  silk and  Antalya cotton dinner jacket 

No need for snark. I don't mind wearing the suit and it makes my wife happy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I no longer wear tux, dinner jacket, or dark suit.  Stopped that years ago.

Now I wear a guayabera shirt with slacks for Formal Night dining in the MDR.  Never been denied admission.. I couldn’t care less what other PAXs wear.  It’s only those kind of Fashion Police PAXs do though.

Enjoy.  Whatever you decide to wear.

King

Excellent - but would they allow dark jeans if worn with a smart shirt?  It's the only trousers my partner is taking.  No worries if not because we are very happy to eat in the buffet 🙂

Just now, Scottygirl1 said:

Their sign might post that comment but they've been accepting just casual dress for the past 15 years or so.

It's your choice and has been for a long time. 

Edited by MissP22

4 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

Excellent - but would they allow dark jeans if worn with a smart shirt?  It's the only trousers my partner is taking.  

Princess will welcome you and your partner, 100%. Despite the somewhat strident wording in their published material, Princess refrains from being judgmental. 

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

No need for snark. I don't mind wearing the suit and it makes my wife happy.

wasn't meant to to be snarky, just stating the facts. It should be here at the end of the month.  I'm looking forward to formal nights on our 21 day'er.  I should have put an " I "  in that post, my apology . 

Edited by c-boy

It is much harder to dress up when you are flying. Last cruise we tried to only bring carry on with us. It was the first cruise that I did not wear a suit to formal night.

I still wore a nice dress shirt, dress pants and shoes. I did not feel out of place, and I was probably right in the middle as far as formality goes.

I enjoyed it so much that I will no longer bring a suit or ties on our cruises. I was very happy wearing nice, but not formal. It seemed like around half the room was in agreement. 

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

wasn't meant to to be snarky, just stating the facts. It should be here at the end of the month.  I'm looking forward to formal nights on our 21 day'er.  I should have put an " I "  in that post, my apology . 

My sincere apologies. There are a few here who would have posted what you said as being snark directed at me for actually being "weird" enough to wear a suit for formal nights. Once in a while it will be someone who surprises me with the snark. In this case I was very surprised so I am happy to find that I was totally incorrect. Thanks for the correction.

• Like 2