Removing tips due to bad service

Hi 

Most of the time I add the tips to my cruise price I have never removed tips on a ship but I read over and over that most people don’t pay the tips in advance because it’s hard to remove it if you need to. 

Had you ever removed the tips because service was so bad that you felt you had to do it? I only had 2 staterooms attendants that were bad, well not exactly bad but unapproachable and always serious. I didn’t remove the tips but I didn’t give extra. 

I think that a cabin attendant's job is to keep your cabin clean and tidy, and to fulfill any requests that are in his/her power to do.

I don't think that the job description includes a particular mood, personality or volubility.

JMO, of course.

I have never removed basic tips.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

I am puzzled why a cabin attendant who is  serious is a bad thing? They are not hired to entertain us. I’d rather have a serious cabin attendant who did a good job than a non serious person who didn’t do the basic room cleaning tasks. 

Attendants are very busy and might not have time to stop and chat. We had one attendant that would be described as unapproachable so we left notes of basic things we needed ( laundry bag, extra towel etc). Never a problem. 

We’ve never removed any gratuities.  After 30 years of cruising, we’ve had an occasional issue and have either taken it up with the housekeeping manager or reflected  it on the survey. 

We’ve never really had bad service. We get adequate service or stellar service  

M

• Like 3

I've never removed tips, never felt a need/desire to remove tips, and will (most likely) never consider removing tips. Before ever considering doing so, take the time to learn the hours these workers put into a "normal" day, and look at the amount of work they do - you'll likely reconsider that position.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Hi 

Most of the time I add the tips to my cruise price I have never removed tips on a ship but I read over and over that most people don’t pay the tips in advance because it’s hard to remove it if you need to. 

Had you ever removed the tips because service was so bad that you felt you had to do it? I only had 2 staterooms attendants that were bad, well not exactly bad but unapproachable and always serious. I didn’t remove the tips but I didn’t give extra. 

I've never had service so bad that I felt the need to adjust the tips but if I were receiving bad service the first thing that I would do would be to talk to the maitre'd. If that didn't fix the problem then I'd have a discussion with the Hotel Director. I wouldn't tolerate bad service for the length of the cruise without addressing it.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Hi 

If you prepay your tips, you can not make any adjustment for bad service.  Once you prepay your tips, the money is gone and you no longer have any control over it.  We never prepay tips!

I haven't had bad service. We are not high maintenance, don't need ice twice a day don't ask for anything out of the norm or special. As long as the room attendant cleans the room makes up the bed and provides turn down service he will receive an extra tip at the end. I don't need to be schmoozed  or entertained. In the past if we had a request for something like 2 wine glasses we just left a note. We try to stay out of their way so they can clean our room and get to the next person who may be more demanding. 

We don't prepay tips. I understand that some like to walk away with a zero balance on their on board account but I would just make a payment to the credit card that I provided to the cruise line to cover the gratuity. I don't grease their palm at the beginning of the cruise as a bribe for better service either.  I have never removed a tip and don't expect to ever have to.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Hi 

It is not hard to remove the auto tips. Just go to guest relations and ask them to be removed. Easy. 

• Like 1

Had one attendent a few years ago that bemoaned constantly about how bad Royal's compensation system was. I didn't want to penalize others so we left them in place but didn't tip extra. His service was good but the complaining was bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Had you ever removed the tips because service was so bad that you felt you had to do it?

Yes.  I have had service in the past so poor I felt that person did not deserve a tip.  Hotel Director ensured me that any cash I gave to anyone else was 100% theirs to keep without penalty or having to turn in so I had no qualms about doing so.   

2 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I would bet that there are a few of those, the “never happy” type (but kind of doubt they would admit it!). 

No, some take it off as a principle thing, not because they are unsatisfied with services.

Biker, who was wondering when a new tipping thread would start.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

We just need the bed made, trash emptied, and towels replaced, and advise that they need not waste time making towel animals. Never seen a reason to remove or add more. Also, we do not make that ridiculous dash to pre pay them just before they raise them to save a couple bucks. 

• Like 2

Never.  I wish they would just add it into the cost of the trip.  I think they work hard for their money.  I think they take a lot of abuse from some passengers.  Most resorts charge a daily service fee.  To be honest I’m not sure what that covers since turn down service cookies are long gone.  With that said, adding it on would ensure that they are not at the mercy of those who don’t feel they were well served, which is a very selective.

• Like 2

I say Hi to people and keep moving.  All I care about is my room is clean.  How many of you are working and looking at the clock for quitting time?  You want to accomplish you job, and clock out.  Don't you hate it when you get that phone call, when you are trying to finish something, and they just won't hang up?   The employees on the ship, are just like you.  They have a "world of their own" behind the crew doors, where they have friends and a social life.  Sure, some of them like to talk but others, deep down, just want you to go away, so they can finish their job. 

My tips go for the service they provide.

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, some take it off as a principle thing, not because they are unsatisfied with services.

Biker, who was wondering when a new tipping thread would start.

Didn’t guess that you would disagree with someone agreeing with you, yikes 😂  Regardless, I was replying to your (what I thought was tongue-in-cheek” question...) as to whether someone would respond that they *always* remove tips (“waiting for the ALWAYS...” of your post). Not quite sure why you would disagree, it was my opinion and rather non-controversial! As I see it, either by chronic irritability or principle, I think that both fall under “never satisfied” since someone who doesn’t tip on “principle” consistently is in my book is just as much of a curmudgeon 🤡

Edited by 2Beeze

1 hour ago, springfire said:

If you prepay your tips, you can not make any adjustment for bad service.  Once you prepay your tips, the money is gone and you no longer have any control over it.  We never prepay tips!

This isn't true on other cruise lines, is it true on Royal?

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

This isn't true on other cruise lines, is it true on Royal?

People have reported changing prepaid tips, but they had to raise a very big stink at Guest Services.  Removing prepaid tips is not an easy process on Royal.

• Thanks 1