Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

On 9/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, xlxo said:

Just got off the Royal and thought I would share my thoughts...

• check your medallion.... I picked up mine at the port.  The staff gave me SOMEONE else's.  Security turned me back and get the right one.  Your name is printed in small print on the medallion rim.  Kinda hard to read for a senior.  The printed paper instructions were even smaller
  • I wish the sport clip was free.  Why should I need to pay extra to not have something around my neck?

I'm sorry for you, but that's almost Too Funny! Murphy's Law: If it can happen, it will...." So, was anyone back at the check-in just a bit embarrassed by having given you the wrong medallions??

Agreed - it would be nice if Princess gave passengers an either/or choice: lanyard or sport clip. They are probably a very similar cost - to Princess. Maybe next year....

7 minutes ago, OzPilot said:

..." So, was anyone back at the check-in just a bit embarrassed by having given you the wrong medallions??

Nope... I got back to check-in before the other party arrived.

Security got an eyeful when I got to boarding.

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2019 at 12:23 AM, xlxo said:

Just got off the Royal and thought I would share my thoughts...

• check your medallion.... I picked up mine at the port.  The staff gave me SOMEONE else's.  Security turned me back and get the right one.  Your name is printed in small print on the medallion rim.  Kinda hard to read for a senior.  The printed paper instructions were even smaller
  • why is my room unlocked when I get near the cabin?  I want to unlock the door when I get closer!  Some cruisers tell me they had a terrible time trying to figure how to lock the door when they left the cabin.
  • tried to order a drink.... does not work in Club 6.  Does not work in the theatre.  Bummer.
  • tracking a cabin mate?  The wifi is so overwhelmed.... the Compass feature only works half the time.  When it did work... it showed my buddy was in a neighbor's cabin.... huh?
  • yes it did speed up boarding and debarking
  • every time the elevator door closed, I kept seeing this propaganda about the medallion.  It felt like they were marketing the concept to millennials so they could do more texting and walking.  Please instead spend the money on better wifi so we can use the Medallion service better.
  • I wish the sport clip was free.  Why should I need to pay extra to not have something around my neck?

I just got off the 3 day on the Royal, is that what you were on? I had similar problems with the wifi, Ocean Now, and Ocean Concierge app working inconsistently. My door didn't unlock if the medallion was in my pocket, I had to wave it at the screen.  

19 minutes ago, xlxo said:

28 minutes ago, OzPilot said:

I'm sorry for you, but that's almost Too Funny! Murphy's Law: If it can happen, it will...." So, was anyone back at the check-in just a bit embarrassed by having given you the wrong medallions??

Agreed - it would be nice if Princess gave passengers an either/or choice: lanyard or sport clip. They are probably a very similar cost - to Princess. Maybe next year....

19 minutes ago, xlxo said:

Princess could at least have offered you a complimentary bottle of wine or a coffee card for your inconvenience in having to backtrack to check-in....

2 minutes ago, xlxo said:

If you mean the sailing that came with a fuel spill, bonus lunch, and cruise terminal debarkation from hell.  Yep.

That was it. I agree, that was the worst debarkation mayhem ever.  Embarkation was bad too, because of the backup to get through immigration. I call it the "hurry up and wait" cruise. DH is now turned off to cruising for a long while.😒

OK...OK...chill out everyone.

I became Elite on Pacific Princess (2018) and am in a holding pattern. I am an older person (some might say an old f.rt), but I don't mind.

I have a significant hearing deficit and am a bit old fashioned. I have a neat stack of cards in my drawer from previous cruises. I am averse to some new things. Will/can Princes gimme a card? Or would I be stuck with one of those thing that I would have around my ankle as I walk around the ship? I don't like change (I have a rotary dial phone - with a closed captioning devise attached at home). Please make me feel good about this medallion thing!!!

Jim

8 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

I became Elite on Pacific Princess (2018) and am in a holding pattern. I am an older person (some might say an old f.rt), but I don't mind.

I have a significant hearing deficit and am a bit old fashioned. I have a neat stack of cards in my drawer from previous cruises. I am averse to some new things. Will/can Princes gimme a card? Or would I be stuck with one of those thing that I would have around my ankle as I walk around the ship? I don't like change (I have a rotary dial phone - with a closed captioning devise attached at home). Please make me feel good about this medallion thing!!!

Jim

Jim, they better!

I'm maybe not quite as old as you; at least I do not have a rotary phone! I have read here on the forum somewhere that we can ask at the purser's office (aka guest services) for an 'old fashioned' plastic cruise card. I've been saving those for as long as they have been issuing them, so I have quite a collection; and none cost me a dime. A great souvenir!😎

26 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

Jim

I can confirm the Passenger Services desk can print you a cruise card. It’ll look just like the old ones with your name, ship, sailing date, muster station, dining arrangements, number of cruises and folio number on it.

4 minutes ago, idahospud said:

I can confirm the Passenger Services desk can print you a cruise card. It’ll look just like the old ones with your name, ship, sailing date, muster station, dining arrangements, number of cruises and folio number on it.

Hi Deb. OK - never thought about that number on the bottom right hand corner of the cruise card, or what it meant. What does the "A" after the number mean, please? Thanks. Bill

1 minute ago, OzPilot said:

Hi Deb. OK - never thought about that number on the bottom right hand corner of the cruise card, or what it meant. What does the "A" after the number mean, please? Thanks. Bill

The number is how many cruises you’ve already completed. I believe the A stands for adult.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, idahospud said:

The number is how many cruises you’ve already completed. I believe the A stands for adult.

"Adult" in body only - still young at heart!! In December, I'll look at our grandsons' cruise cards (non-Medallion cruise) and see what letter they have after their number. Thanx.

17 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Do you have your ruler handy - to measure the size of the clip on the OM clip holder - to see if it will fit over my watchband which is ¾ inch wide (2 cm)? Thanks!

13 hours ago, idahospud said:

Good to hear confirmation. How if I can just figure out where to put all those cruise cards from the last 35 years or so...maybe "tile" my office wall with them?😉

Doug

2 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Good to hear confirmation. How if I can just figure out where to put all those cruise cards from the last 35 years or so...maybe "tile" my office wall with them?😉

Doug

You can always stick the Medallions to a metal board & continue your collection since they contain a magnet. 

45 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You can always stick the Medallions to a metal board & continue your collection since they contain a magnet. 

Nah, I want to stick with the old style.....I figure they probably will be phased out in a couple of years....assuming CCL can work out the bugs in those pesky medallions.🙄

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Nah, I want to stick with the old style.....I figure they probably will be phased out in a couple of years....assuming CCL can work out the bugs in those pesky medallions.🙄

Well they did say that the cards would always be available for those that preferred them but you know haw fast thing can change. 

I am wondering if they will even issue cruise cards on Sky and Enchanted Princess.  Those two ships are being built with Medallion technology.  Next month when Sky sails we shall see if they even carry cruise cards at guest services.  Look at the major hotels Hilton and Marriott;  I use my iphone to enter my room with the digital key

Hi all! We just booked the Royal Princess Medallion Class cruise with about 6 other families, and we all have children between the ages of 6 months 2 years old. We just found out that:

a) children are NOT allowed to go into the pool with swim diapers, and

b) children between the ages of 6-12 months are NOT allowed to get off the boat when we arrive at any ports

Does anybody know anything about whether these are true? And if so, do they strictly regulate them?? Really need some advice here as we do not want to go on the cruise if we can't take our children into the pools. And one of the families is going to cancel if they can't take their 7 month old daughter off the ship. 

PLEASE HELP!!