Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

16 hours ago, Ms SailAway said:

I've been following this thread since pretty close to the beginning.  I haven't seen the answer to my question although I could have missed it.  There's a lot of information here!  

Early on, I downloaded to my phone the original five apps for Medallion class.  They bogged my phone down so badly and my cruise was still so far away on the calendar that I uninstalled them.  When the single Medallion Class app became available, I downloaded that instead.  Seems like it's complete but I've seen some references in this thread about the Medallion Class app accessing the other five apps.  Do I need those other apps?  Or is everything I need in the Medallion Class app?  I've completed my info and have my medallions on order for our January cruise.  Just wondering if I'll be missing some functions by not having the other apps installed as well.  

Hello,  all you should need is the medallion class app.  All the other apps ocean now, ocean compass, etc will not work until you are on board the ship.  Hope this helps

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

17th ? ... pretty sure you are at the highest level beginning with your 16th

Sigh... Stupid fingers. You are, of course, correct. The bit I pasted in just above that clearly shows the correct information.

• Haha 1

We use Cellular At Sea while cruising on Princess via Verizon to stay in touch back home.  (Sitter, and 95-year-old mother are concerns.)  We aren't seeing Sky Princess listed for Cellular At Sea.  Could it be Princess isn't providing that service on Medallion ships?  Does anyone know?  (Two hours on hold at the Medallion number isn't good customer service.)

1 hour ago, ecs66 said:

We use Cellular At Sea while cruising on Princess via Verizon to stay in touch back home.  (Sitter, and 95-year-old mother are concerns.)  We aren't seeing Sky Princess listed for Cellular At Sea.  Could it be Princess isn't providing that service on Medallion ships?  Does anyone know?  (Two hours on hold at the Medallion number isn't good customer service.)

could you see Caribbean or Regal Princess ships ?

SKY is set to launch its' first Inaugural cruise next week I believe ...

Two days ago I downloaded Ocean Medallion and Ocean Ready, signed in a filled in info requested, created a password.  Last night, I logged in and created an avatar for hubby and myself.  Today, I had planned scan documents and take security photos, but neither app recognizes me and wants me to begin entering all info once again.  I sent an e-mail to Ask Medallion this morning, but have not heard back as yet.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Should I just start all over?  I hope these kinds of glitches will not be a recurring problem.  Thanks, fellow CCers!

Jangor,  try deleting medallion class app then download again.  Sign in and set up your profile and security photo and then add passport info.  Let me know if that works

ecs66,  Sky won't be active until next week 20 Oct;  could be why you don't see anything on her on your app.  Do not know why Regal does not show up

21 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Jangor,  try deleting medallion class app then download again.  Sign in and set up your profile and security photo and then add passport info.  Let me know if that works

ecs66,  Sky won't be active until next week 20 Oct;  could be why you don't see anything on her on your app.  Do not know why Regal does not show up

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had tried that earlier today with no results.  Just now, I deleted Ocean Ready and tried MedallionClass again.  I had to enter booking#, name, birthdate, but did get my account.  What was the point of creating a password, if I have to enter all that info again?  Does password work only after all have been submitted?

Edited by jangor

jangor,  I know the frustration.  I log into an app;  it works;  log in again and it doesn't.  Delete and start over again.  I guess with all the tech in todays world;  that seems somewhat common;  same as when a windows computer acts up.  you hit control-alt-delete; and reboot

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Caribbean (CB) Princess was the first ship to be OM ready ... so not sure if OM has anything to do with cellular at sea

As it turns out, apparently Medallion does impact Cellular At Set in that when a ship goes OM, they don't provide cellular access.  So we'll be cancelling our cruise.

The rep I spoke to at the main Princess number assured me that, "When it's time for you to sail, Cellular At Sea will be available."  I was skeptical, as Sky's first official sailing is right around NOW.  If it were available for passengers planning that cruise it would be listed.  So I called a different number and was told that Medallion cancels any cellular service.  If we want to call home it's about $5.00 to call from the cabin.  If someone needs to reach us from home in an emergency they can't reach us unless were in the cabin.  (Nice to see that we've reverted back to cruising in the '80s.  That's exactly how it worked on Sitmar.) 

4 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

As it turns out, apparently Medallion does impact Cellular At Set in that when a ship goes OM, they don't provide cellular access.  So we'll be cancelling our cruise.

The rep I spoke to at the main Princess number assured me that, "When it's time for you to sail, Cellular At Sea will be available."  I was skeptical, as Sky's first official sailing is right around NOW.  If it were available for passengers planning that cruise it would be listed.  So I called a different number and was told that Medallion cancels any cellular service.  If we want to call home it's about $5.00 to call from the cabin.  If someone needs to reach us from home in an emergency they can't reach us unless were in the cabin.  (Nice to see that we've reverted back to cruising in the '80s.  That's exactly how it worked on Sitmar.) 

Have you ever heard of wifi calling?   If you have wifi on the ship you can call with your smartphone. You just need to go into your phone settings and make sure wifi calling is enabled

Edited by AF-1

37 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

jangor,  I know the frustration.  I log into an app;  it works;  log in again and it doesn't.  Delete and start over again.  I guess with all the tech in todays world;  that seems somewhat common;  same as when a windows computer acts up.  you hit control-alt-delete; and reboot

My concern is that I will get to cruise check-in and Medallion won't work or I will have to enter all kinds of info into app first.  In any case will have a paper boarding pass and, of course, passports and driver ID as backup.  I don't sail until Dec. 1, so lots of time to get things squared away.  Thank you!

jangor,  if and when you get the app working; you should be able to receive two green checkmarks;  once you have those you can order your medallions for delivery to home or the cruise port.  You have paper copy so you are good to go even if app crashes

12 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

jangor,  if and when you get the app working; you should be able to receive two green checkmarks;  once you have those you can order your medallions for delivery to home or the cruise port.  You have paper copy so you are good to go even if app crashes

I did order medallions and a clip for myself on Wednesday.  I had created avatars and completed personalizer info on Thursday.  Created a password on Wednesday.  The problem was when I tried to get back on this morning.  App does seem to be working now.  Added passport scan and security photo for DH (will do mine soon).  I am going to assume that all will go smoothly from this point on (but will have back-up, just in case)!  Thank you for you concern and help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Have you ever heard of wifi calling?   If you have wifi on the ship you can call with your smartphone. You just need to go into your phone settings and make sure wifi calling is enabled

We definitely know about wi-fi calling.

(1) We don't use smart phones any more.

(2) Per Medallion blogs, OM internet/wi-fi is slow and unreliable.  That may change in the future, but too undependable for now.

Thank you, though.

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Hello,  all you should need is the medallion class app.  All the other apps ocean now, ocean compass, etc will not work until you are on board the ship.  Hope this helps

So are you saying we'll need to have those other five apps installed as well before we go aboard?  I thought they were built into the Medallion Class app but not active until we're on the ship.  Not so?

4 minutes ago, Ms SailAway said:

So are you saying we'll need to have those other five apps installed as well before we go aboard?  I thought they were built into the Medallion Class app but not active until we're on the ship.  Not so?

Never mind.  I've answered my own question by clicking on Ocean Compass to see what it says and it took me to the Play Store to download the app.  I guess we'll need all those other apps before we sail.  So silly!  Why could they not produce just one app that incorporates all of this!

1 hour ago, Ms SailAway said:

They combined them all into the one app a couple of months ago. (The Medallion app)

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

They combined them all into the one app a couple of months ago. (The Medallion app)

Yes, I downloaded that one when it came out.  And uninstalled the other five.  It seems that I need to reinstall those before we are onboard.  

7 hours ago, ecs66 said:

I'm curious, how much does that service cost?

16 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

I'm curious, how much does that service cost?

For Verizon on their "Pay As You Go" plan:

To receive a text, it's 5 cents.

To send a text, it's 50 cents.

Calls -- making/receiving, it's $2.99/minute.

We've rarely made or received calls, but have a few times in emergencies.  But we receive daily texts from our parents' caretakers, and from our sitter, to let us know all is OK.  Cost ends up at UNDER TWO DOLLARS for a whole cruise, typically.  Extremely cheap for peace of mind while away.

If we text among ourselves on the ship, of course the cost is higher.

There are other plans which cost more, but we don't need that level.  We have Verizon, so get our info from the Verizon site.  Your provider would have their own information.