Yellow Fever Vaccine east/west Panama cruise?

pris993

Travelers on recent east/west Panama channel cruises with stops in Columbia, Panama and Nicaragua, did you get a yellow fever vaccination?    Planning a cruise in November, it appears cruises that stop in Nicaragua, where passengers have stopped in Columbia and/or Panama before docking in Nicaragua may need to show proof of a yellow fever vaccination.    

Am curious if this is true or not.  Would like to hear from recent travelers.  Did you need to have this vaccination to board the ship?   My DH does not want to get this vaccination because he does not plan to get off in ports.   I suspect if needed, does not matter whether he gets off or not.  

If you check the CDC website, selecting 'Nicaragua' for destination and tick the box  below specifying 'cruise ship'

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/clinician/cruise_ship/nicaragua?s_cid=ncezid-dgmq-travel-leftnav-clinician

...there is no mention of Yellow Fever at all.

Doing the same for Colombia and Panama the results state a yellow fever vaccine is recommended only if travelling into specific inland areas of either country, or if travelling directly from another country where the vaccine is considered mandatory.

(here is the link to a list of all countries or parts thereof that the CDC considers a YF vaccine mandatory for, in case you are interestedhttps://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2018/infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever-malaria-information-by-country#footnotes)

If Princess were requiring you to show proof of vaccinations (or a physician's note excusing you from any) at embarkation there would be more than sufficient warnings in your cruise personalizer and on your cruise docs. 

Nope. No vaccination. Didn't see a single mosquito during either of the transits we've done. Unless you plan some sort of side trip into the jungle there is absolutely no need to worry about this sort of thing.

43 minutes ago, fishywood said:

If you check the CDC website, selecting 'Nicaragua' for destination and tick the box  below specifying 'cruise ship'

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/clinician/cruise_ship/nicaragua?s_cid=ncezid-dgmq-travel-leftnav-clinician

...there is no mention of Yellow Fever at all.

Doing the same for Colombia and Panama the results state a yellow fever vaccine is recommended only if travelling into specific inland areas of either country, or if travelling directly from another country where the vaccine is considered mandatory.

(here is the link to a list of all countries or parts thereof that the CDC considers a YF vaccine mandatory for, in case you are interestedhttps://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2018/infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever-malaria-information-by-country#footnotes)

If Princess were requiring you to show proof of vaccinations (or a physician's note excusing you from any) at embarkation there would be more than sufficient warnings in your cruise personalizer and on your cruise docs. 

Thanks for your help in explaining on how to use and understand the info on the CDC web site.    This has been very helpful. 

The only time we have needed  yellow fever inoculations was when we visited Devil's Island and perhaps the Amazonian region of Brazil.  If it is requires then you would need it to be allowed on the ship - doesn't matter if you don't plan to leave the ship.  But for the countries you have mentioned you should not need it

It's not required and not needed, and I wouldn't do it out of an abundance of caution either. Yellow Fever is a stone cold jerk of a vaccine -- you should get it if you need it, but the after-effects are the worst of any commonly-available vaccine. In addition to feeling pretty lousy, things can get moderately hallucinogenic... usually in a bad way. If you don't need it, I'd skip that one (despite being 100% pro-vaccine otherwise.) 

6 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

It's not required and not needed, and I wouldn't do it out of an abundance of caution either. Yellow Fever is a stone cold jerk of a vaccine -- you should get it if you need it, but the after-effects are the worst of any commonly-available vaccine. In addition to feeling pretty lousy, things can get moderately hallucinogenic... usually in a bad way. If you don't need it, I'd skip that one (despite being 100% pro-vaccine otherwise.) 

Your description is true for a small subset of people who get the yellow fever vaccine. I had it and had nothing but a sore arm for a few days, about the same reaction as my annual flu shot.

42 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Your description is true for a small subset of people who get the yellow fever vaccine. I had it and had nothing but a sore arm for a few days, about the same reaction as my annual flu shot.

Yep, it doesn't bother everyone -- when we were getting vaccinations for work, my class of 65 had about a 30% rate of people who were hit by it, and everyone else was like "What are you-all complaining about...?" But that's a higher rate of weirdness than any other vaccine that's commonly available for travelers, so I think it's reasonable to be cautious. 

Completed this itinerary 20+ times in the past 40 years and have never been advised that yellow fever was required. However, prior to any travel we always visit a travel medical clinic, providing them with a list of ports and any tours planned.

While I have never experienced any reaction from any of my yellow fever shots, I note the risks increase significantly after 60 yrs of age. During our last visit to a Travel Clinic we were advised our last YF shots are good for life - no longer just 10 yrs.

Our yellow fever shots expired in 2008.  Because DH has several health issues we were advised not to get new shots.

I know, no one cares whether we get yellow fever shots or not.  I just mentioned it.

We have done many full transit Panama Canal since then and were never required to have yellow fever shots.