Buffet or Cafeteria style?

NSAHO79

We are looking at the Nieuw Statedam for a cruise but we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the "buffet" was not self-serve but actually cafeteria style where servers dished out your food.  We did not like this at all so I would like to know if it is going to be the same on their newest ship before I book.  Thanks.

Just now, NSAHO79 said:

We are looking at the Nieuw Statedam for a cruise but we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the "buffet" was not self-serve but actually cafeteria style where servers dished out your food.  We did not like this at all so I would like to know if it is going to be the same on their newest ship before I book.  Thanks.

Yep, pretty much. Only the salad bar, pre-made sandwiches and the desert bar are really self-serve. I personally prefer it that way, as it makes it more sanitary than having multiple people touching the serving instruments. 

• Like 8

We really like the fact that HAL serves most of the food in the Lido.  Much more sanitary than hundreds of people handling all the serving spoons/tongs.  We have seen some pretty questionable food hygiene from fellow passengers.  My DH watched a lady on a Princess cruise "leaf" through the pre-toasted bread with her hands, looking for just the right piece!  He told her off, and informed the staff.  We have both seen people leave the bathrooms without washing their hands, and it's not hard to imagine them then going to the buffet and handling things. 

So, we hope HAL always does the serving!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

Yep, pretty much. Only the salad bar, pre-made sandwiches and the desert bar are really self-serve. I personally prefer it that way, as it makes it more sanitary than having multiple people touching the serving instruments. 

On all my cruises in recent years on different ships the salad bar has not been self-serve.  Is it back to self-serve on the NS?  

On the Prinsendam as we speak and while she is a horse of a different colour (we can get our own salads), the bulk of the food like the other ships is served.  No big deal - want more ask for it, want less tell them.  They are more than happy to please.

Their only concern is if there is a plate not empty and if you were happy.

Cheers from the lovely Prinsendam.

24 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

On all my cruises in recent years on different ships the salad bar has not been self-serve.  Is it back to self-serve on the NS?  

On my recent cruise there were a few select salads that were self serve.   The “salad bar” is still cafeteria 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

The salad bar is not self serve but prepared for you with the ingredients that you request.  Pre-prepared salads (macaroni, pea, carrot, etc.) are located across from the aft Beverage Station.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drowelf said:

Only the salad bar, ... are really self-serve.

On our recent Eurodam cruise the salad bar was not self-serve.  

Pre-made sandwiches, breads/rolls, desserts, juice (for breakfast), fruit, taco chips/salsa were all self serve.

Taco bars are still on the Vista  and R class ships.  But eventually they will be gone too.   On the Eurodam, the Taco Bar is now just left of the pasta station in the Lido market.  A server will prepare your plate and you can get whatever you want, and as much as you want, so there should be no complaints.   There were 2 salad stations in the Lido Market on the Eurodam last month.  The servers will build your salad with whatever you want, and then toss it with your favorite dressing.   They are open all afternoon, they do not close at 2:00 PM.

On the Westerdam a year ago,  sitting at a table near the Taco bar, I watched a lady spooning sour cream onto her plate.  After she took a few spoon fulls,  she licked the spoon and put it back into the tub of sour cream.   Disgusting !!  I notified the Dive-In workers and they removed the sour cream and replaced it. 

On a Costa ship a few years ago, we watched young kids reaching into the breakfast bar (self serve at that time) and picking out pieces of bacon and sausage with their fingers.  Their parents were oblivious to this.

:Let's face it, some people are slobs, and will act on a cruise ship just like they act at home.   The fewer places that passengers can get their grubby hands on food and food serving utensils, the healthier the ship, and all of us will be.    

Edited by TAD2005
  • Like 6

eah

56 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks. The post I was quoting said that the salad bar, pre-made sandwiches and desert bar are self-serve.  So I wondered if something had changed recently 🙂  

Yeah, that was me. I've only been on the Prinsendam for the last 5 or 6 years and there it is a self serve salad bar. Sadly we will have to move back to a Vista or another of the smaller ships after this cruise. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

On the Eurodam, the Taco Bar is now just left of the pasta station in the Lido market.  A server will prepare your plate and you can get whatever you want, and as much as you want, so there should be no complaints.

While the plate, taco, and meat are served up to you, the toppings in in a self serve section (salsas, cheese, peppers, onions, guacamole).

There are also a couple of bowls there with tortilla chips, you can serve up yourself.  That was my afternoon snack - chips, topped with guacamole, salsa, cheese.......

On the Vista class ships the self-serve taco bar always reminded me of a breeding ground for "who knows what."  I wouldn't touch it regardless of how much I would have like some chips with my "adult beverage."

31 minutes ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Why do you prefer buffet over cafeteria style?

Not the OP, but I do understand why people like a buffet style. You can get exactly what you want and the amount you want. (I find the servers tend to be too generous with portions) However, you have to trust that your fellow passengers will have clean hands, always use utensils, not dip a finger in the salad dressing to "try it." I don't have that much faith in my fellow cruisers, so I'm quite happy to have the "cafeteria" style service. 

• Like 2

We have recently completed a wonderful cruise on the Maasdam. Ate in the Lido every meal. Was very grateful that it was cafeteria style service after observing one passenger sitting at the dining table blowing his nose into the linen table napkin. Quite put me off my lunch! 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Not the OP, but I do understand why people like a buffet style. You can get exactly what you want and the amount you want. (I find the servers tend to be too generous with portions) However, you have to trust that your fellow passengers will have clean hands, always use utensils, not dip a finger in the salad dressing to "try it." I don't have that much faith in my fellow cruisers, so I'm quite happy to have the "cafeteria" style service. 

I like both styles, but for mash potatoes, for which I have a slight preference for the buffet.  After asking, “a little more, please” a third time, I become slightly self-conscious!

😊