Equinox Eastern or Edge Western?

WrittenOnYourHeart

Which would you recommend for a first-time Celebrity cruiser?

About me: Solo cruiser, 48 years old. Gluten-free. Special education teacher in NYC who loves cruising and the sun during Winter Break. I've cruised HAL to Alaska (Westerdam), Royal Caribbean (3 of 4 Radiance Class ships) to Alaska, the Med, and Greece, and Disney (all 4 ships - Eastern Caribbean and the Bahamas) - also fathom to Cuba, but that was a specialty type thing). I'm not one who needs bells and whistles, so the larger "behemoths of the seas" or "floating amusement parks" as I call them don't appeal to me.

I'm currently booked on the Equinox Eastern for my February break in an Aqua Class cabin. While I've never cruised Celebrity before, I've been to 2 of the 4 ports (been to San Juan and Nassau - both rather meh; never been to St Thomas or Tortola).

I was playing around (now that we're about at Easter, my half-joking-to-my-TA Lenten discipline of NOT making changes to any trips is about to be lifted, and my brain seems to know that) and looking, and I could do an Edge solo Infinite Veranda for about the same price. I've never been to any of the Western ports, so there's a big appeal there, though I know I'd be losing Blu and the Persian Gardens if I switched.

Pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance!

I'd stick with Equinox for a first Celebrity cruise. AQ class has nice perks and although solo you will meet people in BLU and around the ship.  We prefer eastern to western carib ports but have done both.. Tortola and St Thomas have nice beaches.  We usually stay on board in San Juan..Nassau so so.

EDGE is a brand new exciting ship. With .amazing art,   very good food abd dining options.,  possibly more lively at night but it  is very diff than other Celeb ships.  We liked the Infinite  Veranda but it is not a true  outdoor balcony.  How big is the solo cabin?

Cruise Critic's Jen has  just posted a live from EDGE review last week  of a western itin...with photos...Maybe you can read through and see if EDGE and western are more appealing  for what you are looking for

Not sure of the demographics of each ship over a Feb break????

Edited by hcat

Hmmm. Having read that, I am now wondering if I should even stick with Celebrity or go back to Disney. I will wear a dress or skirt for dinner, but during the day I am shorts or yoga pants and tees or tanks. Not a dressy girl at all. I think I might be too casual for Celebrity. 😞 

Shorts, tees, yoga pants are fine during the day including in the MDR.

in the evening dress, skirt, slacks are fine in the MDR and restaurants.  I haven’t taken a dress in a few years, usually a pair of slack and a nice top are what I wear in the evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Hmmm. Having read that, I am now wondering if I should even stick with Celebrity or go back to Disney. I will wear a dress or skirt for dinner, but during the day I am shorts or yoga pants and tees or tanks. Not a dressy girl at all. I think I might be too casual for Celebrity. 😞 

The  author of that review was on a working cruise...with meetings, dinners etc.  She had a lovely cruise wardrobe You will be fine going a bit more casual if that's your style . Nice shorts and tops are  fine for daywear.

We did  find  Edge was a bit dressier  with the new ship vibe but not required..I wore dresses for chic night..one was my birthday celebration...and nice capris and tops for the others.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

131 square feet.

Would the EQUINOX  cabin be larger?  That's the res you presently hold, correct?

131 seems small...but the EDGE singles do look like a nice layout

Just now, hcat said:

Would the EQUINOX  cabin be larger?  That's the res you presently hold, correct?

131 seems small...but the EDGE singles do look like a nice layout

Yes. I'm currently in an Equinox Aqua cabin, so a little larger.

It does seem a bit small, but it's definitely larger than NCL's solo studios (a whopping 99-100 square feet). 

It may be a moot point - I booked when there were $20 deposits, and I don't know if that deal could be transferred or if I'd have to pay a regular deposit (thank you taxes, not happening at the moment). Maybe I'll stick with what I have for 2020 and book something in the future on Edge... Does Celebrity do a general future cruise that can be used with anything if you don't have a date in mind or do you have to have a specific date?

Stick with the Equinox.  

We recently sailed on the Edge and really loved it but the prices are way too high.

Our  next cruise is on the Equinox.

When on board you can book a future cruise that gives extra SBC and other perks and by then with other Edge class ships the prices may be dropping.  

The Celebrity ships are now very casual.   Basically no shorts in the dining rooms in the evening.   You could basically just pack a swim suit,  cover up, some shorts and a few tops  and dine in the Spa Cafe, Burger Grill, room service or buffet for every meal and Blu for breakfast.  

If you like to hang out on the balcony try to book a cabin on the slanted portion of the deck.   They have the largest balconies.  

The largest are 1549, 1552, 1605, 1601, 1610, 1606

the next largest are 1547, 1554, 1603, 1599, 1608, 1604

Sometimes they will have reclining loungers In addition to the chairs and footstools.

The Equinox is being Revolutionized so it will be a lot different than  it is now and will have many things that the Edge has.  

Save your money go with the Equinox.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 1:27 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I had those same concerns a couple years ago but the cruise critic community convinced me that we would be fine.  And we were fine.  I am so thankful we took that cruise on the Equinox and now have 3 more Celebrity cruises booked.  Loved the ship and booked on her again in 2021.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jiminy1955 said:

I had those same concerns a couple years ago but the cruise critic community convinced me that we would be fine.  And we were fine.  I am so thankful we took that cruise on the Equinox and now have 3 more Celebrity cruises booked.  Loved the ship and booked on her again in 2021.

Thank you!

On 4/22/2019 at 7:45 AM, Pier290 said:

Equinox!!!  I'm 45...sailing on her again for ten days in September..... Celebrity is FABULOUS, FUN AND RELAXING!🌞😎

Thanks!

As I suspected once I thought it through, it would not have been a simple change over what I had but a cancel and rebook with lower perks and a higher deposit than what I'd booked under. So it'll be Equinox Eastern! Maybe I'll book something on Edge when I'm on board!

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks!

As I suspected once I thought it through, it would not have been a simple change over what I had but a cancel and rebook with lower perks and a higher deposit than what I'd booked under. So it'll be Equinox Eastern! Maybe I'll book something on Edge when I'm on board!

Great Choice!   Let us know how it worked out, after you cruise

• Like 1

I'm on your Equinox cruise in Feb- looks like you have already decided, but I was going to suggest that you stay with our sailing, of course!

I don't have an interest in sailing Edge.  I have done the Western itineraries as well and while I have decided that there is almost always something new to see or do in a port, I generally like the Eastern itineraries better.  Also, as a single female traveling solo I would have to tell you that in certain Western ports I felt somewhat less safe.  (Yes, crime happens anywhere, to anyone, at any time.  But if you have one of those "sixth sense" things, you know what I mean.)  Honduras especially has made me feel a little uneasy every time I have gone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

I'm on your Equinox cruise in Feb- looks like you have already decided, but I was going to suggest that you stay with our sailing, of course!

I don't have an interest in sailing Edge.  I have done the Western itineraries as well and while I have decided that there is almost always something new to see or do in a port, I generally like the Eastern itineraries better.  Also, as a single female traveling solo I would have to tell you that in certain Western ports I felt somewhat less safe.  (Yes, crime happens anywhere, to anyone, at any time.  But if you have one of those "sixth sense" things, you know what I mean.)  Honduras especially has made me feel a little uneasy every time I have gone.

Thanks!

I am from NYC, so I'm accustomed to watching my surroundings. I tend to do ship-based excursions as well, so that helps.

As it turns out, looking at our school calendar (I'm a teacher) that has JUST come out for 19-20, I might be able to do Edge Western over Spring Break! Can't commit to anything yet, but the possibility is there date-wise.