I know I'm overthinking, but need advice

Tntt

2 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Welcome to CC btw...There are a lot of offensive posts here...but there's a lot of great information too and helpful people. 

Sent

There are not a "lot of offensive" posts. I assume you are referring to the posts about the gun-a very contoversial subject.The OP asked for advice and people have offered their advice and opinions, I don't find that offensive.

1. I thought about packing food & drinks to minimize spending tons of money at gas stations, would that be wise or it that too much?

Take your teenagers to the store with you a few days before and have them pick out a few car snacks. Gas stations are great to get a cold beverage and restroom break.

2. I thought that we should leave at least 2 days prior to cruise so we can stopover and rest and not try to drive 12 hrs straight. Would that be a waste of money getting hotels?

If you're leaving Port on a Saturday, I'd suggest leave home on Friday morning and drive 9-10 hours. Stop and stay in a hotel with a pool. Then Saturday morning, you've only got 2-3 hours to drive to arrive at the Port. You can sleep in and arrive on the ship with plenty of time before sail away.

3. So my spouse is licensed to carry guns and even though we know we cant take it on the ship, my spouse is in law enforcement and thinks we need to bring a gun to keep In  the car for safety reasons, but that means we would have to leave it in the car at the port for a week and risk someone breaking in our car and possibly stealing it, should we even bring it?

Suggestion from my husband: bring a lock box with you and hide it in the car. If you're parking at the Port, make sure you park at a lot of security and park near a street lamp. You shouldn't have to worry about the car getting broken into.

4. Packing ..... I think I'm packing too much ..... Our cruise is in May is it extremely hot in the Bahamas like it is in July or August?

You are likely packing too much. You can wear your "dinner attire" 2 or 3 times during the week, as you'll likely only have it on for a few hours when you have dinner and see a show. Pack a cardigan in case the A/C is chilly but otherwise, you can expect warm weather in May. Worst case scenario - you send a bag of laundry out to be cleaned for $20.

39 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Sent

There are not a "lot of offensive" posts. I assume you are referring to the posts about the gun-a very contoversial subject.The OP asked for advice and people have offered their advice and opinions, I don't find that offensive.

Actually I was referring to CC in general by my "here"...not this particular thread. It is JMHO that there are "a lot" of offensive posts here on this forum as I find that there a quite a few posters that definitely take an offensive position in attacking all sorts of topics AND other posters here. I agree that offering advice and opinions is not necessarily offensive...tone and intent in sharing information usually determines whether or not I find a post offensive. I'm not sure what is controversial about the gun topic? My EDC is a Sig P938 and I am a proud US Lawshield Member...I generally enjoy talking about carry methods, kits, and other concerns for personal protection. Not sure how my advice regarding the carry laws in personal vehicles in Florida shows that I am offended by the gun conversation?

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, Tntt said:

Our cruise leaves out of port Miami and we decided we are driving to the port, it will take about 12 hours and I am trying to organize this trip to be as fun as possible especially with 2 teens. I just have a few questions....

1. I thought about packing food & drinks to minimize spending tons of money at gas stations, would that be wise or it that too much?

2. I thought that we should leave at least 2 days prior to cruise so we can stopover and rest and not try to drive 12 hrs straight. Would that be a waste of money getting hotels?

3. So my spouse is licensed to carry guns and even though we know we cant take it on the ship, my spouse is in law enforcement and thinks we need to bring a gun to keep In  the car for safety reasons, but that means we would have to leave it in the car at the port for a week and risk someone breaking in our car and possibly stealing it, should we even bring it? 

4. Packing ..... I think Im packing too much ..... Our cruise is in may is it extremely hot in the bahamas like it is in July or august? 

1.  Snacks are always a good idea and don't take up too much room.

2.  We live about 12 hours from Miami and wouldn't attempt that long of a drive in one day.  Traffic congestion/construction or an accident could add hours to your drive.  The Orlando area has tons of hotels at every price point and is our go to stop over area. I grew up in Miami and I suggest you do your homework on locations for a hotel pre-cruise.  Staying close to the port is expensive, but traffic problems getting to the port will be lessened.  We have even stayed a bit north of Miami and driven a bit further to cut down on the costs, but don't even think of trying that if your cruise leaves on a workday or there is an event in town that weekend.  With 2 teens, you might want to have an extra day for exploring.  In my experience, if there is a pool on site, they will be entertained.       

3.  We have concealed carry permits and always bring a weapon in the vehicle.  We are both retired military and that is just how we roll.  Please make sure that you bring any required permits with you and make sure that your state's permit is recognized in Florida.  There is a reciprocal agreement between many states in the south.  If it isn't recognized, then your license may not be valid. I have no idea about law enforcement guidelines, seems that would be a valid license.  We were pulled over in Tampa at the port once for a random homeland security screening.  There was absolutely no problem with having a weapon at the port with the required permit.  I would only park at the port in Miami.  I know any vehicle could be broken in to, but if any valuables are out of site then how would someone know you had a weapon in the vehicle?  Just our opinion and experience.  

4.  The Bahamas will be hot in May, but not as wilting as in July or August.  The ship may be cold.  We always bring a light jacket for on the ship.  You are driving, so a little overpacking won't hurt. Enjoy your cruise!    

I would take snacks/drinks.  We take snacks on the ship all the time so whatever you have left over take on the ship with you

I would not take the gun

Drive is up to you, some people can do a 12 hour drive no issues, other cannot.

I always over pack and don't care.  I like choices.  I take a dinner outfit for each night, but on a week cruise I probably take 15 swim suits as I don't know what I will want to wear.  I also take at least 10 pairs of flip flops and/or dressy sandals and also my tennis shoes as I work out every day.  Again I don't care, I am not flying or we fly SW, so I can take whatever I want.  If I don't use it, who cares??? I just bring it back home. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

You are WAY overthinking.  Leave the weapons at home.  Bring a few snacks (teens eat all the time), but plan on stopping for meals at a real restaurant.

I can't drive 12 hours straight without stopping, so an overnight is a must for me.  Your mileage may vary.  No sense getting to the ship exhausted!  When my daughter was 19, she could do 14 hours...no problem.  I can't.

6 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I always over pack and don't care.  I like choices.  I take a dinner outfit for each night, but on a week cruise I probably take 15 swim suits as I don't know what I will want to wear.  I also take at least 10 pairs of flip flops and/or dressy sandals and also my tennis shoes as I work out every day.  Again I don't care, I am not flying or we fly SW, so I can take whatever I want.  If I don't use it, who cares??? I just bring it back home. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

I like your packing philosophy!  

• Like 1

I read everyone's feedback on here. All sound advice. Particularly in leaving the firearm behind.

I'd personally just do a park and ride at a nearby hotel to the port, leave my car there for the duration of the trip and take a shuttle to the port and ensure there's a way back to the hotel. We always do this because, dollar for dollar and being on vacation, it's better to do this than pay that parking fee. That way you also get to relax in a nice hotel the night before and chill!

• Like 1

Leave the gun.   Take the cannoli's.

• .Yes snacks.   Find a place about halfway that might be fun for the kids.   Or plan a movie theater night.
  • You're on vacation.   Making the trip down a relaxing one is an important part of that.   Get a decent hotel 1/2 way.
  • I'm not pro gun or anti gun for responsible owners, but unless you think you're going to be in some unsavory territory, I'd leave it at home.    I am not a gun owner so I can't give an answer from your perspective.
  • You will likely pack 40% more than you need.   If worse comes to worse, use the "bag o laundry" option on the ship.   Sure it costs a few bucks but its a good service and it means you don't have to lug 50lb suit cases all over.

Plan to relax.   Look for the joy and you'll find it !!!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I read everyone's feedback on here. All sound advice. Particularly in leaving the firearm behind.

I'd personally just do a park and ride at a nearby hotel to the port, leave my car there for the duration of the trip and take a shuttle to the port and ensure there's a way back to the hotel. We always do this because, dollar for dollar and being on vacation, it's better to do this than pay that parking fee. That way you also get to relax in a nice hotel the night before and chill!

Well, doing a park and cruise/fly from a nearby hotel in any city would make me reconsider leaving a weapon (or any valuables) in a vehicle.  We only park at the port nowadays.  We consider the extra cost a part of our cruise budget.  The port security is worth it for us.  Don't get me wrong, we used to park at hotels all the time.  Convenient and budget friendly.  When we flew to our cruises in Hawaii and Alaska we used carefully selected fly and stay hotels and I have to admit that I spent a fair amount of time worried about our car.  All was okay though.  I remember the good old days when parking and shuttles were FREE. Now that was a bargain!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, Tntt said:

Our cruise leaves out of port Miami and we decided we are driving to the port, it will take about 12 hours and I am trying to organize this trip to be as fun as possible especially with 2 teens. I just have a few questions....

3. So my spouse is licensed to carry guns and even though we know we cant take it on the ship, my spouse is in law enforcement and thinks we need to bring a gun to keep In  the car for safety reasons, but that means we would have to leave it in the car at the port for a week and risk someone breaking in our car and possibly stealing it, should we even bring it?

4. Packing ..... I think Im packing too much ..... Our cruise is in may is it extremely hot in the bahamas like it is in July or august? 

1. yes take snacks and drinks, that way you only have to stop for lunch, bathroom breaks and gas, and not a bunch more for food and drinks because regardless of the money its a waste of time.

2. 12 hours is fine for a single day drive, anything more than that i would stop half way.

3. take the gun, just lock it up in the glove box before you go to the ship. Having a gun on you at all times when possible is the best option.

• Like 1

Bring the snacks and drinks, but be sure to take periodic breaks while driving. 

I would do the 12 hour drive straight and be done with it, then spend a night in a hotel before the cruise.

Bring the handgun(s) if he feels better about it, but I would also suggest a cable lock box secured in the vehicle.

Pack less and use the laundry service onboard.  Bring half the clothes and twice the cash.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, Tntt said:

1.  Your choice about food and drinks.  And depends on about what you consider as food. Do you mean snacks or meals?  In regards to drinks to partake while someone is driving.  I would pack the drinks

2.  For the 12 hour drive down.  If a cost is a concern,  I would "punch" it to the 8-9 hour point and have a hotel booked about 3 hours out from the port.  Not sure where you are coming from i.e. the I-95 or I-75/turnpike corridor but there are multiple reasonably price hotels on either route.

3.  I have traveled all over Florida and the Southeast and have never felt the need to have a gun present for safety reasons.  These are not a one trip a year, these are multiple trips in multiple months over many years.

4.  Packing.  Since I am no sure what you are thinking of packing can't give you my thoughts

Edited by gatour

On 4/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, SAN415 said:

If your husband doesn't know about needing a metal lock box that cables to the seat base, he should leave the gun home. And check the gun reciprocity laws in each state, if no agreement then you will need to have the gun unloaded and locked up and the bullets in a different area of the car...not with the gun, and neither the gun nor the ammo should be with in reach of the driver. Two metal lock boxes cabled to the front seat bases and resting on  the back floor area would work.  Also with 3 other people in the car, if it was my gun it would be on me 100% of the time. Belly bands are somewhat comfortable.

Florida has reciprocity with most other states for concealed carry whether a cop or not,  so no problem there. The OP's spouse is in law enforcement.  He knows the risk of traveling and leaving a gun in a car and will likely take appropriate measures.   I personally wouldn't travel the highways and byways of the country without being armed.

My advice on packing....take what you want keeping 2 things in mind.

1) Can you wheel your bags yourself?  If not it's too much. We have good spinners and can handle 2 bags and spinner carry on each although that's too much for 7 nights.

2) what kind of space do you have in your room. Check videos for ideas.  Suites or inside cabins.  4 people in an inside better stick with carry ons only.

I need my stuff.  I like to dress for dinner every night and take shoes.  Others like to travel light and that makes them happy. As long as you don't burden yourself with bags you're good.

1) make sure to only pack non-perishable food and drinks   

2) 12 hour drive is easily doable in 2 days.  Stretching it to 3 would make it more tiring than it needs to be

3) no knowledge about guns or carrying laws so can't help you there 

4) May is hot but isn't super hot in Bahamas  

We'Ve done many long drives to cruise ports over the years.  What we have found, for our family, is that to medium days in the car (5-7 hours) feels like the send day is dragging on forever and ends up feeling like to days of never ending cartrip.  One long day (10-14 hours) is easier for us.  Either was you are losing a day to driving/riding, but splitting it means losing a second day as well.

we take water bottles and a few snacks (we do not eat in our car, so any snacks are eaten at bathroom/gas breaks).  Otherwise, especially in warmer months, we want COLD drinks, so having them in the car is not worth the hassle of an ice chest.  Is McDs still doing $1 any size drink in the USA?  If so, those are right off the highway often enough and not costly---quick stop to use the restroom and get everyone a beverage.

As others said, stop for a decent lunch and/or dinner.  Getting to sit somewhere else and relay a bit is a good way to break things up.  OR, pick up take out for one meal and find a nearby park, pack a frisbee, soccer ball, etc and play for 20 minutes or so.

Personally, I think the gun is not needed for the drive and it is not smart to leave it in the vehicle and it worries me that LEO are so paranoid as to feel they cannot drive well traveled highways without one.  But, I am sure my opinion on the matter doesn't really matter at all.

Most everyone always overpacks.  

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, Tntt said:

1.  We always have a cooler for drinks and light snacks.

2.  What's wrong with driving 12 hours with 2 drivers?  I drive 16 hours every year in one day.  If you only drove 6 hours, what would you do for the rest of the day?  Only thing worse than being stuck in a car, is being stuck in a roadside hotel room with nothing to do.  I would rather get to my destination on one day.

3. Why do the teens need fun?  Tell them to bring a book and read.  Teens sleep 20 hours a day anyway, so they will just sleep.

4.  Your gun issue.  I'm not against guns, but really don't think having a gun in the car will be much help not to mention, different states have different laws for concealed weapons.  It seems just too much of a problem.  I would just leave it home.

5. I don't know what you think is extremely hot, but the low 90's are the normal in the South. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cb at sea said:

It's about the same temperature in the Caribbean ALL YEAR ROUND....summer weather all the time!  It was 90 in Nassau last week.

Not that you will ever read this but Nassau is not in the Caribbean and it is definitely not the same temperature ALL YEAR ROUND.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 10:28 AM, reallyitsmema said:

If your spouse is in law enforcement, they should know what to do with their weapon.

As far as driving vs flying in, price it out and see what makes sense.  We enjoy driving and would probably stay one night overnight and would definitely pack some snacks and drinks.  Price out the whole trip driving including gas, money for meals, hotel room, parking car for cruise duration vs flying in, shuttle to port etc.  

Luggage is a personal choice.  I bring what I want and pay luggage fees if I am flying.  I do not subscribe to the carryon only club.  I over pack and I have no issue with it.

And that is why you always look so cute!!

• Haha 1