First time cruise for my parents, should I send them on Celebrity of Princess?

Doc2725

My parents and their friends are interested in their first ever cruise. They all live in Fort Lauderdale, so it is fairly easy for them to get to the port, etc. They would like to go in June of this year. Everyone is in their early 60's, and still enjoy partying. They like to hang out at the bars, drink, listen to live music, etc. They also prioritize good food and quality cocktails.

I have narrowed it down to either the Caribbean Princess or Celebrity Equinox. Which do you think would be best to get them hooked on cruising, and why? 

Tough choice.  Equinox is a newer larger ship, but both have similar amenities.  There are more perks to Equinox as its a newer ship.  Its hard because they're both good and it will be a new experience.

However, since they prioritize good food, I think Celebrity may edge out a little there.  I've always thought Celebrity was better with food overall of all the cruises i've taken.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Tough choice.  Equinox is a newer larger ship, but both have similar amenities.  There are more perks to Equinox as its a newer ship.  Its hard because they're both good and it will be a new experience.

However, since they prioritize good food, I think Celebrity may edge out a little there.  I've always thought Celebrity was better with food overall of all the cruises i've taken.  

Welcome to the Princess board!

Just now, bemis12 said:

Welcome to the Princess board!

Thanks

I'm usually on the Royal Caribbean one as that's my primary cruise line however, I'm doing one on Ruby Princess  in a week and a half, so just brushing up on Princess stuff.  I haven't done a Princess cruise since 2010. 

I will probably do a live thread, as I've done several Royal Caribbean ones.  They're fun.

I would offer this observation. If they take a June cruise they are more likely to find a ship that has extra youth on board as school is out in many locations. Unless they have some kind of other timing restrictions would suggest a time when children are not in school.

On the Caribbean Princess in the evening they will find lots of live music in all the lounges with a nice selection of different lounges which are active all evening. The Caribbean Princess also has two adult only pools, Terrace Pool and Lap Pool, (not really a lap pool, but that is what it is called). The main Lido Deck pools will most likely be filled with youth on sea days. 

• Like 1

We cruise both Princess and Celebrity. If they like to have interesting cocktails the Equinox has the Martini Bar and another fun bar which used to be called the World Class Bar but is called something else now. If they are concerned about being around kids, the indoor pool on the Equinox is adult only. I think the food is about equal between both lines, however if they are willing to spring for Aqua class on Celebrity, I think it's a little more upscale. The dining room for Aqua class is Blu and there will be virtually no children in the dining room since Aqua class limits you to 2 persons per cabin. I'm a retired teacher in my 60's so I avoid children when I travel :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Caribbean Princess is currently in dry dock (or is it wet dock?, either way she is undergoing some level of refurbishment right now), to have some lingering engineering issues dealt with.  No big deal as she should be in excellent condition when your parents may end up sailing on her.  Not only will the limited maximum sailing speed be fixed, but they will probably also use this dry dock to refresh cabins and public spaces.

Since your parents are first time cruisers they don't have a benchmark to look at when comparing lines.  This is good.  They could sail with either Princess or Celebrity and have a great time.  I think what is more important is the itinerary.  Are the ports they are visiting going to be fun for them?  What are they interested in doing while in port?  Do they want an active cruise, a relaxing cruise, or a passive cruise?  Are they easily impressed with cruise line gee-gaws or do they just want decent food and beverage and clean, comfortable accommodations?

Food is very subjective and presentation matters.  I think Princess serves fine food.  The era of filet mignon and lobster every night on a cruise has long since passed, but for a week or so on board, there is sufficient variety in the MDR, and plenty of other dining options that nobody will get too board or encounter too many repeats.  We never left a breakfast, lunch, or dinner hungry because we couldn't find anything to eat or it wasn't edible.  

Celebrity gets a lot of its DNA from Royal Caribbean, so there is quite a bit more flash and bang in their presentation.  Celebrity may not have wave riders or water follies on board, but there are some over-the-top things they have which Princess doesn't even come close to; like real grass lawns. 

Princess does have Medallion on the Caribbean Princess, which was one of the launch vessels for this technology.  It replaces the cruise card, provides "keyless entry" into cabins, integrates with your smartphone to help find members of your cruise group on board, allows you to order food and beverage to wherever you are located on board, and a number of other features.  I'm not aware of any other cruise lines having this feature; even Princess is having some difficulty fully integrating it into older ships due to the technical demands of such a complex system.  Reports I've read from the Caribbean Princess indicate that the system works well most of the time for most passengers.

I'm a bit of a Princess cheerleader, so I tend to lean their direction and would recommend them over other lines most of the time.  However, I think you should be looking at the itineraries and working to ensure that the ports visited are places your parents would want to go.

Having cruised both, I would say Celebrity has a bit better nightlife.

I can't say I agree about the food being better on Celebrity. I actually have the food marginally better on Princess, but it varies so much from cruise to cruise. Either way the food is fine on either line.

You will hear this throughout these boards, the similarities between the two lines are quite striking. The differences are really in the end rather minimal.

If children are a concern (never been a problem for us on either line) the Aqua class suggestion is a good one.

You really won't go wrong with either line. Pick the best itinerary at the best price you can find.

I have also sailed both lines and I would go with Celebrity.  Celebrity Equinox is a newer ship too.  Also on Princess, the balcony, outsides and inside cabin only have one chair to sit on.  So, one of your parents would have to sit on the bed or stand.  This might not be to their liking or their friends liking.

The one thing I can tell you, there is nothing like a person first cruise.  I am sure they will get the cruise bug.

30 years ago, I would have said "Celebrity, it is no brainer."  But Celebrity has lost some of its former elegance, and Princess has moved up a little in the world, so now I say "either one."   Decide based on the itinerary or other factors.  Either cruise line will give your folks a wonderful first cruise!

4 hours ago, skynight said:

I would offer this observation. If they take a June cruise they are more likely to find a ship that has extra youth on board as school is out in many locations. Unless they have some kind of other timing restrictions would suggest a time when children are not in school.

I'll bet you meant "when children ARE in school".

• Like 1

I agree with skynight that the timeframe will lend itself to more kids.

However, Celebrity and Princess will probably have fewer than lets say RCCL that likes to add things that tend to attract children.

Haven't sailed Celebrity however of the lines I've sailed the Princess cruise I was on had the WORST cocktails I have had at sea.

Not sure how it will turn out however FYI, there is a court hearing regarding Carnival. 

7 hours ago, Doc2725 said:

My parents and their friends are interested in their first ever cruise. They all live in Fort Lauderdale, so it is fairly easy for them to get to the port, etc. They would like to go in June of this year. Everyone is in their early 60's, and still enjoy partying. They like to hang out at the bars, drink, listen to live music, etc. They also prioritize good food and quality cocktails.

I have narrowed it down to either the Caribbean Princess or Celebrity Equinox. Which do you think would be best to get them hooked on cruising, and why? 

Either would be a good choice, but I would highly recommend the Equinox.  The ship Is  due for a major overhaul for June when they “revolutionize “ her, so it might be out of commission for part of June, however.   The layout of the Equinox is way better than the Caribbean.  We’ve been on Caribbean’s sister ship the Crown.  Much more crowded.   Showrooms wayyyy more crowded.  Cabins better on Equinox because ALL cabins have sofas. Bathrooms nicer because all showers have doors vs smelly curtains.  

Food better one Equinox, especially in Blu, the Private restaurant for Aqua Class. .   Make sure to book a promo on X , which has  all inclusive alcohol.  Yes, I definitely vote for Equinox. 

Martini bar is excellent.   

We've been on over 20 Princess, and on 4 Celebrity, but I definitely vote for the Equinox.  

Edited by 4cats4me

6 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Either would be a good choice, but I would highly recommend the Equinox.  The ship I sent due for a major overhaul for June when they “revolutionize “ her, so it might be out of commission for part of June, however.   The layout of the Equinox is way better than the Caribbean.  We’ve been on Caribbean’s sister ship the Crown.  Much more crowded.   Showrooms wayyyy more crowded.  Food better one Equinox.   Make sure to book a promo on X which had all inclusive alcohol.  Yes, I definitely vote for Equinox. 

Interesting, so it would be one of the last cruises before she went into dry dock. 

From my experience Princess tends to have more parallel entertainment at night.   Celebrity tends to have everybody march to the same beat.  As a result the Celebrity theater is larger whereas on princess there maybe a comedy show going on while the theater show is going on.

2 minutes ago, Doc2725 said:

Interesting, so it would be one of the last cruises before she went into dry dock. 

Then it won’t be the new and improved revolutionized decor.   We were last on 1.5 years ago,  and she was still in excellent condition.   

1 minute ago, 4cats4me said:

Then it won’t be the new and improved revolutionized decor.   We were last on 1.5 years ago,  and she was still in excellent condition.   

You said in your original reply that the Equinox is due to be revolutionized in June. I do not think this is correct, as she is cruising all of June. 

7 minutes ago, zalusky said:

From my experience Princess tends to have more parallel entertainment at night.   Celebrity tends to have everybody march to the same beat.  As a result the Celebrity theater is larger whereas on princess there maybe a comedy show going on while the theater show is going on.

So it sounds like Princess has a greater variety of entertainment?

12 minutes ago, Doc2725 said:

You said in your original reply that the Equinox is due to be revolutionized in June. I do not think this is correct, as she is cruising all of June. 

I need to check the refurbishment schedule. Maybe it is Being refurbished in  May.   We are booked on her for October. 

Update:  I stand corrected, May 25, 2019 it will be Revolutionized, according to the web site.  

Even better.  

http://www.celebritycorporatekit.com/the-celebrity-revolution/

Edited by 4cats4me

12 minutes ago, Doc2725 said:

So it sounds like Princess has a greater variety of entertainment?

That’s been my experience but It’s been 3 years since Celebrity and 5 years since Princess.  Let’s hear what the recent cruisers have to say!

i have a couple of Princess cruises this year so I will be able to comment later.

4 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

I need to check the refurbishment schedule. Maybe it is Being refurbished in  May.   We are booked on her for October. 

Just checked, it's May. Definitely going to advise Equinox now as it will essentially be brand new.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc2725 said:

Just checked, it's May. Definitely going to advise Equinox now as it will essentially be brand new.

The solstice class ships are definitely nice but it really depends on what kind of people your parents are:  crowds vs quiet, entertainment vs socialize in a bar, excursions vs on your own.  As I mentioned the biggest difference I have seen is entertainment.