solution to laundry

Fixit2010

Another travel tip I hear years ago was to save up old underwear and wear it and then dispose of it.  Was discussing with fellow travelers one time and they said in Russia their hotel maid would pull it out of the bin every day.  Finally they told her if she would like to have it she was welcome to it.

Buying T-shirts to throw away is not efficient.  Far better to hand wash.   When I go to the fitness center and sweat, I have two wash those T-shirts and don't care if they are wrinkled.

I have thrown away old underwear while on cruise.  However, if you are on say a 3 week trip, you wait to throw them away after you have had them washed once.  Wait until you don't need more clean.

11 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

I never understood this concept. How much space & weight does underwear take?

Long Johns are pretty big!! 

We had friends who also threw away old clothes as they traveled and gave them room in their luggage for goodies. When I suggested this to my wife, she said “So you are suggesting I wear, In Public!, old underwear and clothes I’d throw away. Yeah, right!”. So much for that one. 

We use the sink for socks and undies, and buy travel underwear that dry quickly when we don’t have ship laundry available. Going to spend 4+ days in Amsterdam then do a 7N Rhine cruise to Basel; 2N there and train to Munich for 6N’s. So you can see we will be picking places to do laundry......my guess is we’ll break out the wallet and do it on the river boat. I realize ship laundry serve costs, but I don’t see paying all this money to fly to Europe, spend time in such fantastic places I may not go back to, and spend time sitting in some laundromat. I’d rather spend it seeing fantastic places....or some neat bar!!

Den

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Long Johns are pretty big!! 

We had friends who also threw away old clothes as they traveled and gave them room in their luggage for goodies. When I suggested this to my wife, she said “So you are suggesting I wear, In Public!, old underwear and clothes I’d throw away. Yeah, right!”. So much for that one. 

We use the sink for socks and undies, and buy travel underwear that dry quickly when we don’t have ship laundry available. Going to spend 4+ days in Amsterdam then do a 7N Rhine cruise to Basel; 2N there and train to Munich for 6N’s. So you can see we will be picking places to do laundry......my guess is we’ll break out the wallet and do it on the river boat. I realize ship laundry serve costs, but I don’t see paying all this money to fly to Europe, spend time in such fantastic places I may not go back to, and spend time sitting in some laundromat. I’d rather spend it seeing fantastic places....or some neat bar!!

Den

Haha; I hadn’t considered long John’s! We mostly travel to warm climates to get away from the cold. 

On a more serious note, we do a bit of hand-washing: Quick-dry Gym clothes and exOfficio underwear. 

Edited by JaneStarr

I brought an old pair of boots on an Alaskan cruise to use on an excursion and planned to just throw out. The cabin steward kept taking them out of the trash can and leaving them on the side. He must have thought I accidentally threw them out. After the 3rd day of this, I finally told him I didn't want them anymore! 

* Travel soap SHEETS from Amazon.

* Wood clothes pins from the dollar store (bring eight)

* Optional - travel plastic folding hangers from Amazon.  (bring two)

* 5 - 7 minutes to wash in the sink and hang on clothes line.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LLWS_Uncle_Rick said:

Concerning throw away underwear,   go commando! 

We were at a party where I complemented a woman on her outfit - she responded with “I love wearing this; it fits so well that I don’t wear underwear with it”. I was a bit caught off guard and gave a quick nod. Later that night, I mentioned this ‘fact’ to my wife and a friend standing with her. The Friend’s response was: “Eeeugh, no panties at our age! That’s disgusting!”. 

Nufff Said.

Den

We have a Scrubba that works nicely especially as our kids can dirty up an outfit in 60 seconds flat.  I don't use it to wash all of our clothes but it's great for small items, rash guards that got dirty/sweaty, gym clothes.  I don't want to pay $$$ for ship laundry on X (if the ship has a launderette I will do my own).

I also do bring some items to go "on vacation".  Not things with big holes or huge stains but maybe things that just "didn't fit quite right" or maybe are just a bit tired but could have one more wear.  Definitely my old gym shoes that aren't as cushy any more but could go for another week.

I don't really have a problem with the cost of ships' laundry, but I do not like the way the clothes come back; not the whitest white, or shrunken to the limit. So we send out only "invincible" clothes.The rest we hand wash in the cabin. We find the standard cabin shampoo works fine. Snag a couple of pool towels, roll wet clothing tightly, then hang. We have a travel clothesline that we can hang almost anywhere and plastic clips to secure when needed.

• Like 3

I'm not bringing ratty old clothes that are due to be thrown out. If I wouldn't wear them out at home, why would I wear them on a cruise? Many times I'm buying new clothes, not hunting the darkest regions of my closet for the oldest! And I'm certainly not buying new clothes only to throw them out after wearing once or twice.

Doing laundry in the sink isn't that big a chore. We do exactly as Sippican does. Ten minutes once a week on a sea day is all it takes. We followed this procedure on our 29 day cruise last winter and it worked like a charm.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Fixit2010 said:

Ok so another wacky idea.

For my next cruise, I am going to buy a load of t-shirts that I can wear a couple of times and then bin.

Saves on laundry costs and frees up some baggage space

I guess I don't understand.  If you have baggage space to take it on the cruise, don't you have space to bring it home?  Are you trying to free up space to make room for purchases that you made during the cruise?

• Like 1

I did a bunch of laundry last summer on our Scandinavia/Russia cruise on Eclipse -- it was a 12 night cruise with 2 nights pre-cruise and 3 nights after -- so, a long trip.  

My number-one takeaway is that I will not waste time washing underwear or socks again -- I will always pack enough for the entire trip.  They are so small, they really can be very easily squeezed into luggage.  But especially with socks, even though you can fit a lot of them in the sink, it is hard work to wring out the water when you are hand washing.   After a couple loads of socks and undies, my hands were killing me!

2 hours ago, VA_Traveler said:

My number-one takeaway is that I will not waste time washing underwear or socks again -- I will always pack enough for the entire trip.  They are so small, they really can be very easily squeezed into luggage.

Absolutely .... 

Also we have never had a problem with things sent out to be cleaned on Celebrity ships.  

We mark everything "cleaned" except his undies which we mark  "laundry".  :classic_wink:

• Like 1

I don’t have a laundry problem. Bring decent clothes and send them to Celebrity laundry. Happy to let them do laundry for me. Use your ONC or pay. It isn’t real expensive and improves your cruise experience.  The old underwear is ok. I don’t want to see those old tees or the cheap throw always. They do not belong on a cruise. Those tees work well at gym, beach, gardening, or painting.  Or take a cruise that includes laundry service.

• Like 1