Price decrease

Wonder18

If you cancel the TA is correct that the group could lose some of its perks. With a group like that you need to fill a certain # of cabins. If you cancel they will need to find someone to take that cabin or lose whatever benefits were promised. Maybe you should talk to whoever arranged the cruise in your neighborhood.

4 hours ago, cruisinggran said:

I am apparently booked in a Group booking. I am going with other people but I made my own booking with the t/a they were using. There are 32 of us. So that seems to be the problem. 

i now have two bookings one with the t/a and the cabin I want

one with Princess in a guarantee cabin with the perks. No cabins left in the category.

i have asked Princess if I could transfer the one from the t/a to them but that cant

happen.v

its not until August next year so I am waiting it out 

The TA certainly does not  wish to lose your booking from the group of 16 cabins .  The group will lose 1 Free Cruise Fare If it drops to 15 cabins that sail.

( Generally , 1 Free cruise fare for every 8 cabins in the group)

Edited by MCC retired

10 hours ago, cruisinggran said:

So does that máke us ineligible for any other promotions because of this private

group?

Generally yes  as the group may have its own Amenities and the 1 for 16 TC .

However , far out ,Princess has been known to make exceptions . Contact the Group Leader .

It would also be nice to know , who is getting the Freebee or is its Cash Value being split among the Group ?

11 hours ago, cruisinggran said:

So does that máke us ineligible for any other promotions because of this private

group?

Possibly yes, possibly no.

Some promotions state that they are for new bookings only. In this case, the current booking has to be cancelled and then rebooked as a new booking. You can lose your cabin space on occasion as at any given moment there are hundreds to thousands of TA's and Princess reps in the onesource system (Princess booking system), the moment that a booking is cancelled that cabin becomes available to the world. If someone happens to be booking that same class on that same sailing at that moment they could possibly grab it. Yes, it is rare, but it does happen. I have been looking for cabins online for clients and refreshed and had a new option cabin appear and grabbed it, it could have been someones cancel and rebook cabin. 

Other promotions are not for new bookings only, and only need to be refared. This is simpler and requires no cancellation and rebooking, just a repricing of the cabin. 

If you need to cancel a cabin from the group, and Princess has recalled space and closed the group, and you cancel this cabin, your rebooked cabin may not be able to be added back into the group. I have not encountered this, as I can usually book and fare at the current promotional rate and then move the booking into the group space, but I understand that it can occur. 

• Thanks 1

Are there going to be special events onboard that this Neighborhood group will participate in?  Do you want to be part of those activities?  It sounds like this TA has created an affinity group, where there may be some special events, or T-shirt/prizes/freebies that they give away to the group only.  Sort of like a music theme cruise. Only yours is a neighborhood theme group.  These theme cruises are often packaged at a flat rate for both cruise and “extras”, but it does not sound like you are getting any of the extras, like cocktail receptions, private concerts onboard, etc.

But if there are no special events, no special group goodies, and nothing special offered to you other than the cruise itself, it’s a poor package deal. Then you may want to consider leaving the official group and making your own booking and take advantage of the price drops.  First check to see if your theme/group booking TA has a penalty they charge for canceling.  They may, as your cabin loss could result in reduction of the perks as noted earlier. Although it is not clear if your group is getting much in the way of perks/price reduction or if that is going to the group leader(s).

Edited by cherylandtk

I am beginning to understand this booking. I knew it was a group booking but

not a private booking. I am a seasoned cruiser 100+ and have travelled on many cruises with a bunch of people.

the t/a and now the group leader says we will have amenities but they

wont devulge what they are.  Of course I don't want to upset the apple cart

and we add excited to go but I also don't want to lay top but with no perks.

52 minutes ago, cruisinggran said:

I am beginning to understand this booking. I knew it was a group booking but

not a private booking. I am a seasoned cruiser 100+ and have travelled on many cruises with a bunch of people.

the t/a and now the group leader says we will have amenities but they

wont devulge what they are.  Of course I don't want to upset the apple cart

and we add excited to go but I also don't want to lay top but with no perks.

They won’t devulge the Amenities ?

Sounds sneaky . Those

amenities are what a Good TA shouts about to get you to book into their group .

Advise , get out now and book the current Sale on your own .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

It is very strange that they are not telling you which amenities you will have.  Kind of like booking in the dark

That part is a bit strange to me as well. Anytime I am selling into group space, or promoting a group, part of the marketing is the amenities and perks. 

This happened about 10 years ago when we were booked for a 15-day Hawaii cruise on Island Princess:  Less than a week before sailing -- so WAY after final payment -- our agent called and the price had dropped by about $750/pax.  The final cost was so low it was almost obscene.  It was cheaper than staying home, basically.  We didn't have to change cabins -- our cabin's balcony was two-sided -- and the trip was amazing.

Reading through these posts I'm surprised about how much I don't know about the ins and outs of finding cruise deals.  We've cruised a lot, and get the best price we see at the outset.  If the agent calls advising us of offerings we decide "yes" or "no".  By reading the CC forums and such I can see the advantage of being more pro-active to find and get the best price.  Now I just have to figure out how to do that!  🙂 

On 5/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, Pacificlander said:

It makes me uncomfortable that the TA & group leader won't be open about this whole thing.  

I am the group leader for the cruise that cruisinggran is on. It is true I have not divulged what perks we are getting and I have a very good reason for not doing so. My group is a loose collection of friends/acquaintances/neighbors, many who have traveled together with me before. All amenities will be shared but the number of amenities is dependent on the total number of cabins which is fluid until final payment.

On previous cruises we have had people who had to cancel for one reason or another prior to final payment and this can and often does affect the amenities. I don't want anyone who has to cancel to feel they are now responsible for the remaining people losing something, or on the flip side some of the remaining people feeling animosity for the person who had to cancel. I also don't want to be the one who promised something and then couldn't deliver and have to say it was because so and so cancelled. Once final payments are in the amenities are known and I can give out the good news that we all get something extra.

With regards to the refaring for promotions this one is due to the cabin category being basically sold out. Many of us are in Deluxe Balconies and we have a few who are wait listed for them. No one wants to lose their cabin so the risk of cancelling and rebooking is a concern. There are DB Guarantees available but these are obstructed views.

I am working closely with the TA and she knows the S&S promotion is extremely important to us and we are hopeful we can find a way to make it happen. But we may not. 

20 minutes ago, skurvish said:

I am the group leader for the cruise that cruisinggran is on. It is true I have not divulged what perks we are getting and I have a very good reason for not doing so. My group is a loose collection of friends/acquaintances/neighbors, many who have traveled together with me before. All amenities will be shared but the number of amenities is dependent on the total number of cabins which is fluid until final payment.

I think it would be appropriate to say we need 8 cabins to get a free berth and if we don't have those 16 people, then we don't get it. I will divide the savings amongst everyone if we do. Also, if we have x amount, we get a cocktail party.

I think transparency is best and that is how my group cruises have operated.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, Pacificlander said:

It makes me uncomfortable that the TA & group leader won't be open about this whole thing.  

I agree! Be transparent - put it out there.

Obviously if one cabin cancels, they are looking at a free berth or cabin depending on how many are involved and that is the pressure for the person who wants to leave the group.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:01 PM, polmcs said:

Anyone had success doing a refare, but into a lower class cabin without having to cancel/rebook? I’m currently booked into a full suite on a Vancouver to Los Angeles cruise later this year. I booked the suite as I needed 2 further cruise credits to get to elite. 

I just completed the same cruise but in reverse reverse over the weekend and prior to taking the cruise, I took an upsell to a full suite, so I now only need 1 more credit to make elite. All cabins except suites came down in price last week, so by opting for my usual Caribe deck balcony cabin, I’ll save about $1400 for 2 when compared to the suite price on what is just a 3 day cruise.

I’d like to avoid going the cancel/rebook route as I have an EZAir flight associated with the booking and current fares are about 50% higher than when I booked the flexible fare flights.

I've done a refare to a lower class cabin, but EZAir wasn't involved. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. I didn't need to cancel and rebook.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I think it would be appropriate to say we need 8 cabins to get a free berth and if we don't have those 16 people, then we don't get it. I will divide the savings amongst everyone if we do. Also, if we have x amount, we get a cocktail party.

I think transparency is best and that is how my group cruises have operated.

Well we will have to disagree I guess. My group my rules. No one is forced to come with me and no one has ever complained about it. This particular cruise is problematic due to the desire to take advantage of the promotions and the lack of availability of cabins. Neither of these has anything to do with the amenities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skurvish said:

Well we will have to disagree I guess. My group my rules. No one is forced to come with me and no one has ever complained about it. This particular cruise is problematic due to the desire to take advantage of the promotions and the lack of availability of cabins. Neither of these has anything to do with the amenities.

Ok. Got it. S&S is important to some but maybe not OP. Here's my take: without knowing what the perks are I'm gone. No offense meant but S&S to someone who maybe has a glass of wine with dinner is irrelevant.  My cruise / my dollar. Although I do understand you wanting to know final numbers (PEOPLE CANCEL ALL THE TIME) before releasing all #s there's no way you can stop her from affiliating with other passengers 

OP if you call Princess they might refare you as an individual..... nothing ventured nothing gained. Cruise is a year out, there's available staterooms

• Like 1

Princess protects group amenities down to one cabin, so your amenities that were established with your points when your formed the group with Princess do not change no matter the amount of guests. What changes is the TC credit, which is based on berths. If you plan on crediting back to the group the TC credit, most people just do this after the sailing once they receive the check from Princess, and divvy it up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Princess protects group amenities down to one cabin, so your amenities that were established with your points when your formed the group with Princess do not change no matter the amount of guests. What changes is the TC credit, which is based on berths. If you plan on crediting back to the group the TC credit, most people just do this after the sailing once they receive the check from Princess, and divvy it up. 

I did not know that about the Amenity points, good to know. Thanks.

8 hours ago, skurvish said:

My Group , My Rules ? 

What an attitude 😠

If I was interested in your group I would say “My Money” and be gone . 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 3:22 PM, cruisinggran said:

I am apparently booked in a Group booking. I am going with other people but I made my own booking with the t/a they were using. There are 32 of us. So that seems to be the problem. 

i now have two bookings one with the t/a and the cabin I want

one with Princess in a guarantee cabin with the perks. No cabins left in the category.

i have asked Princess if I could transfer the one from the t/a to them but that cant

happen.v

its not until August next year so I am waiting it out 

Leave now! I am guessing the group leader wants a free cabin for herself. If you drop out, they lose 1 berth.