Price decrease

Wonder18

I think CruisinGran’s TA is not being forthright.  I saw no mention of ‘new bookings only’ on the sale fine print and her sailing is 300 days away.  This should be able to be done as a refare, not a cancel and rebook.  Time for the TA to explain where that supposed limit is printed.

59 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Well, then, why would Princess state that CruisingGran may lose her cabin when it is a stroke of a computer key to re-fare? Is it because the category is now 'guarantee'? (Whereas my category and area of ship are still wide open)

I don't understand why she states that she was "canceling" then "rebooking" the same ship/sailing.?

Should just be a "re-fare" . No need to cancel ? Something wrong with the details here .

On 5/1/2019 at 12:12 PM, MixerDave said:

I booked a 15 day Hawaii for December. We booked in august 2018.  As of today, the price has dropped $1260.00.  The catch is, I will loose the premier beverage package.  I will have to look closely and make a decision.

I think the real question is: Will you drink enough to make it worthwhile? The average price of wine is around $10. IMHO the package is not worth it unless you forget where you put your glasses or drink a lot. So if you just have 2 glasses with dinner & 1 later, take the price drop! 👍

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Well, then, why would Princess state that CruisingGran may lose her cabin when it is a stroke of a computer key to re-fare? Is it because the category is now 'guarantee'? (Whereas my category and area of ship are still wide open)

My guess is she is inexperienced working with Princess. Some TAs are general TAs and book Disney vacations and Sandals resorts and may book 1 Princess cruise a year and probably no one has asked her to re-fare before. Most people think you are locked into that price when you book.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

My guess is she is inexperienced working with Princess. Some TAs are general TAs and book Disney vacations and Sandals resorts and may book 1 Princess cruise a year and probably no one has asked her to re-fare before. Most people think you are locked into that price when you book.

I work only with PVP and I've NEVER been told refaring involved cancelling and rebooking. It's just changing from 1 promo / pricing to another.  Did you mean inexperienced TA?

• Thanks 1

Yes she said TA... OP is working with a TA who says Princess told her new bookings only, but I brought up PVP because mine re-fared my 2020 Alaska with no huhu. 

I've thought of one element that would apply to new bookings only: the reduced deposit ($25 on Mother's Day! 10% the rest of the month). I didn't ask for nor get any of my original deposit back, think of it as a prepayment of the new total. 

OP Gran - you need to call your TA again and insist she call Princess for a refare with the gratuities and OBC, not to worry about the deposit. Your base fare may or may not have gone up; mine had, but not as much as the new OBC! 

Yeah, I'll lose a whooping $1 unless I just refare. BUT I'll need to increase my deposit to my FCD or 10% at that point. 

To OP: price it out inc the possibility that it'll be 200 OBC / free gratuities / free upgrade when 3-for-free returns (your TA's income drops by a % of what you save but if they want you to return they'll happily do it)

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I work only with PVP and I've NEVER been told refaring involved cancelling and rebooking. It's just changing from 1 promo / pricing to another.  Did you mean inexperienced TA?

I meant that she is probably an independent travel agent who doesn't work much with Princess.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

I meant that she is probably an independent travel agent who doesn't work much with Princess.

Or one trying to protect the commission by not refaring

Anyone had success doing a refare, but into a lower class cabin without having to cancel/rebook? I’m currently booked into a full suite on a Vancouver to Los Angeles cruise later this year. I booked the suite as I needed 2 further cruise credits to get to elite. 

I just completed the same cruise but in reverse reverse over the weekend and prior to taking the cruise, I took an upsell to a full suite, so I now only need 1 more credit to make elite. All cabins except suites came down in price last week, so by opting for my usual Caribe deck balcony cabin, I’ll save about $1400 for 2 when compared to the suite price on what is just a 3 day cruise.

I’d like to avoid going the cancel/rebook route as I have an EZAir flight associated with the booking and current fares are about 50% higher than when I booked the flexible fare flights.

This is the same as re pricing hotels...some agents are experienced and know exactly how to 're rate' without any fuss. For others it is the end of the world! 

Just wanted to mention how unfair it is that in UK , we are only allowed to make changes to our cruise booking once and that it costs us £100!  Don't keep 'perks' either. We have to be sure if we make changes..if price drops again...tough !!

5 hours ago, polmcs said:

Anyone had success doing a refare, but into a lower class cabin without having to cancel/rebook? I’m currently booked into a full suite on a Vancouver to Los Angeles cruise later this year. I booked the suite as I needed 2 further cruise credits to get to elite. 

I just completed the same cruise but in reverse reverse over the weekend and prior to taking the cruise, I took an upsell to a full suite, so I now only need 1 more credit to make elite. All cabins except suites came down in price last week, so by opting for my usual Caribe deck balcony cabin, I’ll save about $1400 for 2 when compared to the suite price on what is just a 3 day cruise.

I’d like to avoid going the cancel/rebook route as I have an EZAir flight associated with the booking and current fares are about 50% higher than when I booked the flexible fare flights.

That would not be a refare. You are cancelling the cabin class you are booked into. To book into a different type of cabin will be a different booking with a new booking number.

I refared my clients with the May sale. It increased their cabin price by $100 pp. They still came out $400 ahead and a cabin change wasn't even a part of the mix. They keep the same reservation, just got additional OBC & prepaid gratuities for a small cabin increase.

• Like 1

I refared my clients with the May sale. It increased their cabin price by $100 pp. They still came out $400 ahead and a cabin change wasn't even a part of the mix. They keep the same reservation, just got additional OBC & prepaid gratuities for a small cabin increase.

I just saw the price of my July cruise drop by over $300 per cabin (we have 2 cabins) and called my big box travel agent who called Princess and they said it was a "flash promotion" and they would not refare me or give me anything.  (We are well past final payment date) Does that sound typical? 

42 minutes ago, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

I just saw the price of my July cruise drop by over $300 per cabin (we have 2 cabins) and called my big box travel agent who called Princess and they said it was a "flash promotion" and they would not refare me or give me anything.  (We are well past final payment date) Does that sound typical? 

Yes.  Flash sales are for new bookings only.

• Thanks 1

On May 15, 2019 at 12:09 PM, MCC retired said:

I don't understand why she states that she was "canceling" then "rebooking" the same ship/sailing.?

Should just be a "re-fare" . No need to cancel ? Something wrong with the details here .

I am apparently booked in a Group booking. I am going with other people but I made my own booking with the t/a they were using. There are 32 of us. So that seems to be the problem. 

i now have two bookings one with the t/a and the cabin I want

one with Princess in a guarantee cabin with the perks. No cabins left in the category.

i have asked Princess if I could transfer the one from the t/a to them but that cant

happen.v

its not until August next year so I am waiting it out 

48 minutes ago, cruisinggran said:

I am apparently booked in a Group booking. I am going with other people but I made my own booking with the t/a they were using. There are 32 of us. So that seems to be the problem. 

i now have two bookings one with the t/a and the cabin I want

one with Princess in a guarantee cabin with the perks. No cabins left in the category.

i have asked Princess if I could transfer the one from the t/a to them but that cant

happen.v

its not until August next year so I am waiting it out 

This still doesn't make sense to me. My clients are part of a group booking also. Maybe because the group they are in was a group my agency formed? But it didn't effect Re-faring them.

Well it makes no sense to me either. The T/A did mention when I asked about transfering my booking that the group could loose some of the amenities but

would not alaborate on what the amenities were.  Maybe she didn't want to refare everyone.

Edited by cruisinggran

It's a group of neighbours that travel together.  This is the first time I've joined them.

so should I cancel and go with the cruise line?  Seems to be

something I am missing.

Edited by cruisinggran