Spectrum - double stateroom booked, single built

20 hours ago, tomatosauce said:

The rooms have a standard bed although it can't be split in two like in normal rooms and it does feel slightly shorter than normal. The room has a theoretical capacity of 1-2 people so technically they could just apologise and give you some OBC to "make up for any misunderstanding" if it is for two people. Having said that, having two people in a solo room would be a bit cramped especially if it was an interior.

Uh, the inside solo rooms on Quantum ships are in no way able to accommodate two people, at least they aren't on Anthem.  I know, I've stayed in one.  The bed is slightly larger than a twin but not quite a standard double.  The wardrobe is small and there's very little space to walk around.  I'm not sure which solo rooms you're talking about.

The OP doesn't say if the booking was for a balcony or an inside.  I can say with some certainty that there shouldn't have been a mix-up on the inside ones as they are as described in the first paragraph of @tomatosauce post.  It's kind of like an additional room for the large balcony cabin there.  Either RCI decided to make more inside cabins into studios or it was decided to add some balcony rooms.

I do feel sorry for the OP, I hope a satisfactory resolution is met, but this is one of the risks of booking on an as yet incomplete ship - plans CAN be changed...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hallux said:

Uh, the inside solo rooms on Quantum ships are in no way able to accommodate two people, at least they aren't on Anthem.  I know, I've stayed in one.  The bed is slightly larger than a twin but not quite a standard double.  The wardrobe is small and there's very little space to walk around.  I'm not sure which solo rooms you're talking about.

The OP doesn't say if the booking was for a balcony or an inside.  I can say with some certainty that there shouldn't have been a mix-up on the inside ones as they are as described in the first paragraph of @tomatosauce post.  It's kind of like an additional room for the large balcony cabin there.  Either RCI decided to make more inside cabins into studios or it was decided to add some balcony rooms.

I do feel sorry for the OP, I hope a satisfactory resolution is met, but this is one of the risks of booking on an as yet incomplete ship - plans CAN be changed...

To clarify, it was a balcony stateroom  😞

I wish you good luck, Sentinel.

Just to clarify some of the comments made about studio balcony cabins.

The bed is a standard double bed.  Not smaller than a double bed.

The bathroom is still the size of a regular bathroom, and is actually quite roomy.  

The storage is excellent.  Lots of room for all your stuff.

There is no functional seating in the balcony cabin other than the bed.  The "seat" at the vanity is what I call a "tuffet".  (think Mary had a  little lamb)

The balcony is either "normal" size or even larger.  I brought in a balcony chair to sit on inside.  😄  

I have  heard that in the Asian market (Quantum), these studio balcony cabins are often booked by a couple.

The studio  interior cabins are TINY.  You have to go out into the hall to change your mind.  😄

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the exact cabin number?  Here’s a video for 7648 from Quantum made by someone who had booked it for 2 people. This cabin number has the largest sized balcony (look at the deck plans).  

Edited by 138east
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had an interior studio balcony on Quantum....originally booked just for myself...but then added my husband as we married about 1 month before  the sailing.  The cabin was fine...a bit small but definitely manageable...and I hate to feel crowded.  I think the bed was more like a full size.

My stepson has since sailed with us on the Anthem in an  interior studio with virtual balcony...that one seems tight to me...even for 1 person. 

I must agree that the storage in the rooms is really well thought out especially once you put your luggage underneath the bed. They even have a nook next to the bed especially designed to provide somewhere for your teddy bear to sit.

IMG_6233.JPG

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 138east said:

What is the exact cabin number?  Here’s a video for 7648 from Quantum made by someone who had booked it for 2 people. This cabin number has the largest sized balcony (look at the deck plans).  

The Stateroom we booked was 7242

13 hours ago, hallux said:

I agree - plans can change. But leaving the resolution to the last minute helps no one. They have admitted the plans changed in Feb - now in May they try to resolve it? 

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

The bed is a standard double bed.  Not smaller than a double bed.

That may be the case in a balcony studio, certainly didn't seem that big in an inside studio...

Just been called by my wife - RCI have found us a stateroom on Deck 10 - I don't know the number as yet.

The question I have for you all now is - what is fair 'compensation'?

It was mentioned earlier a 100% Future cruise credit - which I don't actually think is fair on RCI.

However the $50 OBC they offered isn't either. My wife told them to go away and think about something a lot more substantial.

What do you folks think is fair for the week of worrying a week before we travel?

Thanks in Advance.

4 minutes ago, Sentinal137 said:

Just been called by my wife - RCI have found us a stateroom on Deck 10 - I don't know the number as yet.

It was mentioned earlier a 100% Future cruise credit - which I don't actually think is fair on RCI.

However the $50 OBC they offered isn't either. My wife told them to go away and think about something a lot more substantial.

What do you folks think is fair for the week of worrying a week before we travel?

Thanks in Advance.

I mean, they did resolve the situation, so it was just a bit of stress. If they offered 50 OBC, just counter with a bit more, and see where you end up.

54 minutes ago, Sentinal137 said:

Thanks in Advance.

So, they found a stateroom?  I understand you were upset, but they worked to get you a proper stateroom, give you a gift and you will be on an awesome cruise.  It might be time to put it in the past and move on.  Errors and mistakes, and cancellations happen all the time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

So, they found a stateroom?  I understand you were upset, but they worked to get you a proper stateroom, give you a gift and you will be on an awesome cruise.  It might be time to put it in the past and move on.  Errors and mistakes, and cancellations happen all the time. 

I had a 'proper stateroom' already? If you would take $50 and move on for thinking, for 6 days, that your 2 week holiday was going to be cancelled then good luck - I certainly won't ;o)

3 hours ago, Sentinal137 said:

Thanks in Advance.

I would have taken the cabin and moved on.  You say you wife told them to go away and think about something more substantial, I hope she at least accepted the cabin change or they might give it to someone else and you will be stuck with the studio cabin.  

23 minutes ago, Sentinal137 said:

I had a 'proper stateroom' already? If you would take $50 and move on for thinking, for 6 days, that your 2 week holiday was going to be cancelled then good luck - I certainly won't ;o)

Personally I would, and then after the cruise reach out and see if anything else would be forthcoming, but I'm also super non-confrontational. 

I'm with you, $50 is insulting.  Royal Caribbean doesn't think anything of charging $50+ per person more for the option to pick your own room, so their lowest bid should have been something more than that $100 OBC for the 2 of you, as the one you chose, and likely paid for the privilege of doing so, was unavailable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sentinal137 said:

To put in perspective.  The "first" cruise was running behind in building the ship.  All the passengers were sitting on the edge of their seats wondering if the ship will be ready in time.  It's a new ship, and mistakes happen.  This was a mistake.  The final resolution is that you will be on the cruise, in a stateroom that will satisfy your needs.  I'm not praising RCCL, but on the other hand, it's over, and you are relieved to know you won't have a messed up vacation. 

I have had messed up vacation, and have learned just to roll with it.  The different operators (airlines/cruise lines/hotels) always work to fix, or adapt to get the best possible solution.  Most times, you don't get an "I'm sorry gift".

However, if you dwell on this much longer, you will go on the ship, angry, and start looking for everything wrong instead of all the positives. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

To put in perspective.  The "first" cruise was running behind in building the ship.  All the passengers were sitting on the edge of their seats wondering if the ship will be ready in time.  It's a new ship, and mistakes happen.  This was a mistake.  The final resolution is that you will be on the cruise, in a stateroom that will satisfy your needs.  I'm not praising RCCL, but on the other hand, it's over, and you are relieved to know you won't have a messed up vacation. 

I have had messed up vacation, and have learned just to roll with it.  The different operators (airlines/cruise lines/hotels) always work to fix, or adapt to get the best possible solution.  Most times, you don't get an "I'm sorry gift".

However, if you dwell on this much longer, you will go on the ship, angry, and start looking for everything wrong instead of all the positives. 

I agree, particularly with the final sentence.

Sentinal, stress for a week is a real thing, but you can put the stress behind you.  (The person who was suggesting 100% FCC meant if you had to cruise in the solo cabin).  You DO now have a true double occupancy balcony cabin.  Deck 10 is a fine deck.  No obstructions, and many of the Deck 7 cabins on this ship are obstructed. Perhaps you could ask them to increase it to $100 OBC, i.e., $50 per person, but if I were in your position, I would have simply accepted their offer and started packing.

🙂 

• Like 6

Is the new cabin the same category as the original cabin?

Is there any big change (longer walk to/from elevators, connecting room, different view, etc.) that makes the new cabin less desirable than the one you originally booked?

These things would factor into whether you should ask for more compensation, IMO.  

Also, I think the OBC should be per person....