Confiscation of Electric Gadgets

tv24

I'm sure you more frequent HAL guests are aware of this, but we were surprised when HAL staff tried to confiscate electric appliances when we boarded the Noordam in Sydney.  They took my electric outlet strip that i always bring on a cruise ship and tried to take my hair dryer. They also took appliances from many other guests, and claimed that this is a long-standing HAL policy regarding fire safety.  My electric strip was returned when we disembarked, but the confiscation process filled up a lot of staff time and created a lot of unhappiness among passengers.  Next time I travel HAL I will either leave stuff at home (if possible) or expect to have to hand things over.

And those items are listed on the HAL website - it's an important read for first time cruisers. The ship can provide extension cords for necessary items like c-pap machines or other medical devices. 

And right they are to confiscate.

In general, we treat the dangers of electric charging and use of electricity by appliances far too lightly.

especially now in the age of  Lithium Ion batteries, domestic fires are on the rise, as are  fire related incidents onboard ship and aircraft. 

• Like 4

Was this in the terminal or were you called to the "naughty room"?  I find it's best to put anything electrical (NOT electronics) in the checked baggage, near the front so that security can plainly see it when they scan it. Only trouble I've ever had was on RCCI when they thought a laptop cord was an extension cord.

Obviously I agree with everyone about the need to be mindful of fire safety.

10 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

According to this link multi plug boxes are allowed if they do not have a surge protector so unless the OP's confiscated device had a surge protector, I wonder why it was taken. We use a multi USB charger box with a 6 ft cord when we travel since most older ships like the Noordam do not have enough electrical outlets to charge smart phones, tablets, laptops, and even smart watches for 2 or more people in a cabin each night. 

This excerpt is from your link on the HAL web page, I will take a copy with me on the Noordam in case they try to confiscate my device above.

Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

4 hours ago, Despegue said:

And right they are to confiscate.

In general, we treat the dangers of electric charging and use of electricity by appliances far too lightly.

especially now in the age of  Lithium Ion batteries, domestic fires are on the rise, as are  fire related incidents onboard ship and aircraft. 

Cunard now asks you  not to leave devices on their charges when you aren't in the room.

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

This excerpt is from your link on the HAL web page, I will take a copy with me on the Noordam in case they try to confiscate my device above.

Unfortunately, that's a battle you'll never win. If security decides that an item isn't safe, you either give it up or don't don't sail.

However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

The above list is not exhaustive. The SSO/Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgment as to the legality of any item declared, detected or discovered on board.

5 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Was this in the terminal or were you called to the "naughty room"?  I find it's best to put anything electrical (NOT electronics) in the checked baggage, near the front so that security can plainly see it when they scan it. Only trouble I've ever had was on RCCI when they thought a laptop cord was an extension cord.

Obviously I agree with everyone about the need to be mindful of fire safety.

I was called to the naughty room, as well as dozens of other passengers.

What's crazy about that list is that someone tried to bring something aboard that made them have to add it to the list. Hmmm. Better bring my circular saw just in case I need to do some wood working on that sea day.

• Haha 1

Power strips can be an issue with any cruise line.  Although they are technically OK if they DO NOT have a surge protector, the security folks that do the carry-on stuff are often not techies and simply want to confiscate any power strip.  We have never had a problem with a basic power strip (no surge protection) when put in our checked luggage.  Have no clue why they would try to take a hair dryer.  DW always has her hair dryer and has never had an issue on lots of cruises.

Hank

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

For those who don't speak "Brit," I want to point out that a catapult is a slingshot.

LOL. I knew what HAL meant and assumed that @jkrislc and @terrydtx were just joking. Of course, I did spend some of my early childhood in Great Britain, and the dual meanings of the word, based on context, still come to me without thinking. 

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. I knew what HAL meant and assumed that @jkrislc and @terrydtx were just joking. Of course, I did spend some of my early childhood in Great Britain, and the dual meanings of the word, based on context, still come to me without thinking. 

Do Canadian kids say catapult or slingshot?

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Cunard now asks you  not to leave devices on their charges when you aren't in the room.

That is an excellent suggestion.  The heat generated during charging can be dangerously high.

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Do Canadian kids say catapult or slingshot?

I imagine that most would probably say slingshot, not that I can recall hearing our kids or grandkids or their friends use either term. Sports stores selling them call them slingshots. A quick look at the Amazon UK website shows that they sometimes use the term "slingshot catapult", presumably to differentiate them from other types of catapults.

Edited by Fouremco