Regent/NCLH implements new tipping program

I don't like the idea at all.  It sounds like Regent/NCL created another way to collect revenue.  Only this time it is on the backs of the crew who really don't frequent the boutiques and typically call their friends and family when they are off the ship where the internet rates are cheaper.  I wonder if we can still surreptitiously give cash to a crew members without they or us getting in trouble.  I sure hope so.

Regent:  you need to pay attention to the paying clientele and suck it up because we collectively agree that you’ve pulled the mother of all bonehead moves. Profiting from your crews’ rewards and limiting recognition to those that interface with us is really low, greedy, tacky, and very poorly thought out. Someone in corporate needs to acknowledge our concerns and rescind this policy. Real shame. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 3

I'm trying to think of a positive reason why Regent would do this. Perhaps people tend to give little gifts to staff members, useless little tchotchkes, and they want to channel that positive intent into something that would be more useful to the staff member?

That's the only positive spin I can think of.

(Example would be giving someone a teddy bear, or other cheap trinket, when really they want a phone card, or internet time.  Or cash, of course.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

The Crew Welfare Fund does still exist. However it is not being pushed. There is no onboard publication that I can find to suggest it, and zero mention in the daily program to acknowledge it as the better alternative to the new Gift Certificate program. 

This new sales push is baffling in my opinion. 

Edited by Anchorbuoy

This is just a new revenue making scheme. Forcing passengers to use "new money" to buy certificates that can only be used to buy heavily marked up merchandise or services just adds to their bottom line profits.

My daddy always said, and I still follow, the adage that if you feel the need to show your  employee or service worker your extra appreciation, Cash is King.

We will not be participating in the new scheme. Bad Idea!!!

J

This is an astonishingly dreadful program, providing very little benefit to the hard-working crew but possibly some incremental benefit to the already overpriced shops on the ships.  As we discussed on the WC thread regarding this whacky notion, it remains very much more to the advantage of the crew for us passengers to stick with donations to the Crew Welfare Fund or to individual members of the crew in cash than to use this preposterous method of bogus "reward" to crew members.
As much as we love Regent, this is not the line's finest hour by any means.

Edited by freddie
  • Like 1

I have been thinking about this issue since it was raised yesterday -

- could it be that this is a way for Regent to "assure" the shops of an increase in sales?  Since there is nothing worth buying in the shops (aside from Advil!) one has to assume that their turnover isn't great.?

More logical thing to do on a line where service is NOT included - NCL and Oceania in this case I think.  Regent is shooting themselves in the foot by adopting this policy IMO.

• Like 1

You know, at one time one of the benefits of higher SSS membership was to be on some sort of advisory panel.  Not sure if that ever actually happened, but in this case it could have prevented offering a program that clearly none of the Regent faithful here on CC thinks is worthwhile.

The ONLY semi-rational explanation I can think of is that this was adopted by NCL for all brands regardless of whether or not gratuities are included.  Regent should have pushed back.  It'll be interesting to see if Jason comments on this though he's been scarce recently.

• Like 3

Regent is giving two contradictory messages regarding tipping.  Tips are included, but tips are welcome or maybe expected too.  Stupid decision.

But then the marketing department does some stupid things.  The hype on Regent's web pages says "OUR 2-FOR-1 ALL-INCLUSIVE FARES INCLUDE...FREE PRE-PAID GRATUITIES."

If the fare includes gratuities, then the gratuities are  not free.  And what does "pre-paid" mean in this context and what is the relevance of when the gratuities are paid?  The wording makes no sense.  The logical wording would be something simple such as "our fares include gratuities."

So now Regent can add another non-sensical sentence, "Guests are encouraged to give post-paid gratuities to staff by purchasing certificates that staff can use to support Regent's onboard merchandising efforts."

Management needs to follow z and tb's advice:

21 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Regent:  you need to pay attention to the paying clientele and suck it up because we collectively agree that you’ve pulled the mother of all bonehead moves. Profiting from your crews’ rewards and limiting recognition to those that interface with us is really low, greedy, tacky, and very poorly thought out. Someone in corporate needs to acknowledge our concerns and rescind this policy. Real shame. 

Z and TB

• Like 2

23 hours ago, baz48 said:

I'm confused.  Is the option to donate to the Crew Fund gone?  Or is this an additional way to recognize the crew, albeit an individual crew member only.  And I agree the gift certificates is a dumb idea.

Regent makes nothing if you donate to the Crew Welfare fund. But they will make money if you buy these gift certificates. Case closed!

Just so you are all clear this originated as a guest requested to utilize unused Shipboard Credits to give to crew members.  Nothing has changed other than we were trying to support a suggestion from one of our guests.  For those of you really thinking we were trying to make money off our crew really have no understanding what Regent is all about!

Jason Montague

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MontyRSSC said:

Just so you are all clear this originated as a guest requested to utilize unused Shipboard Credits to give to crew members.  Nothing has changed other than we were trying to support a suggestion from one of our guests.  For those of you really thinking we were trying to make money off our crew really have no understanding what Regent is all about!

Jason Montague

Geeze.  That would have been a good response...until the last sentence which really is an uncalled-for and insulting bash of Regent loyalists. The point could have been expressed in  less antagonistic way.

• Like 3

Perhaps the original introduction of the concept is unclear. It’s actually a pretty good idea of giving away to the crew unwanted SBCs.

i agree with Jason that to impute greed on the part of Regent over this issue is silly.

34 minutes ago, bissel said:

Perhaps the original introduction of the concept is unclear. It’s actually a pretty good idea of giving away to the crew unwanted SBCs.

If you have refundable SBC (OBC), just ask Reception for the cash. Then give it as a gift anonymously.

If you have non-refundable SBC (OBC), this poorly released program does not apply to you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Geeze.  That would have been a good response...until the last sentence which really is an uncalled-for and insulting bash of Regent loyalists. The point could have been expressed in  less antagonistic way.

Seems pretty clear the comment is aimed at the cynics who were saying things like “follow the money” and implying RSSC was just trying to direct custom to onboard boutiques. The implication was insulting and unwarranted. I think the response is appropriate

Thank you Mr. Montague for taking the time post.  It is always appreciated when we can hear from Corporate.

In my opinion, this confuses the “gratuities are included” policy which was fairly confusing to begin with.  I feel that customers want to read a clear policy to follow (like other policies on the Regent website), 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you Mr. Montague for taking the time post.  It is always appreciated when we can hear from Corporate.

In my opinion, this confuses the “gratuities are included” policy which was fairly confusing to begin with.  I feel that customers want to read a clear policy to follow (like other policies on the Regent website), 

That's right Jackie - it does certainly make the "tips included" policy and marketing very confusing.    However I see what Jason Montague means by his explanation - someone wanted to use up SBCs which were refundable and Regent came up with a plan to benefit the crew.   That is nice BUT at the same time the message we get from Regent is that there is "no tipping".  So it is confusing.  IMO it would be lovely if one could simply just donate the unused credits to the Crew Fund.  Why get the boutiques involved?

• Like 2

Does anyone else not think the post from Jason Montague is a fake/troll post?  This is his first post ever?  And it is poorly worded for a President/CEO.  I'm suspicious....

Edited by morneau

• Administrators
6 hours ago, morneau said:

Does anyone else not think the post from Jason Montague is a fake/troll post?  This is his first post ever?  And it is poorly worded for a President/CEO.  I'm suspicious....

The account has been verified by Cruise Critic.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yeah I'm confused too-- it was the first post for that account.  But Jason Montagu has posted before, hasn't he?

He may have, there is an official account called Regent Seven Seas Cruises. And other employees have accounts as well. 

Just off the Mariner. I disagree with the new "gift card program". My "Heros" are the Laundry workers. Futher, I reject Regent's, attempt to duck responsibilty by basing their acceptance on "a suggestion from ONE of the guests".

After I read this thread, I went down to Reception Desk; asked about the program and requested a card. I was told that "everything" (more following) had to be done though the Reception Desk. After I played dumb (not difficult) and asked for a card several times, I was shown one. The size of a tan postcard same info on top and bottom - Name of crew member, work area, name of guest, cabin number, amount, and a dotted line for a message. Reception types the info in and the bottom half of the completede card is to be given from the guest to crew member in a plain white envelope.

21 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

As has been stated previously, the only way this make any sense at all is if you can use your non-refundable OBC's for these crew gift certificates. Otherwise, simply cash-out your refundable OBC and do with it what you wish.

I certainly agree with wcsdkqh that this new program seems to be addressing a problem that does not exist (i.e. how to give cash or cash equivalent to a crew member as a special gratuity).  It also seems rather odd that such a new program would be introduced at the request of "one" passenger, unless that particular passenger has a lot of clout on Regent.

The final sentence of Jason M's post was indeed a bit (well, more than a bit) intemperate.   Perhaps his account is being hacked and the post was indeed a spoof, with "MontyRSSC" being more a reference to "Monty Python" than a nickname for a gent with the last name of Montague.  :classic_tongue:

Edited by freddie
  • Like 3