Regent/NCLH implements new tipping program

Thanks for all the feedback, positive and not so positive, and I have already asked the team to kill this initiative.  I will say that it is amazing how some people can rush to quick judgement on what our intentions are without having an inkling of an idea on what was the thinking behind our decision.  In this case I thought an idea that was good from a guest perspective as well as our crew was worth pursing but obviously it was good in theory but not in reality.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It may have taken a few days, and lots of posts, but I truly appreciate that Jason M/Regent is so responsive to our concerns.  Hopefully, if another major concern arises, they can be equally responsive.  While I am on the subject of changes that Regent could make, I would like to suggest that in certain ports there be an option to "give back to the community".  This could be teaching a class in a school, helping to clean up after a disaster, or any other activity that would benefit the local population.  Many of us have been to some of these ports repeatedly, and getting a chance to meet and help the locals would be a great experience.  This may have been suggested before, but I wanted to put my vote in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Lady's Mom said:

It may have taken a few days, and lots of posts, but I truly appreciate that Jason M/Regent is so responsive to our concerns.  Hopefully, if another major concern arises, they can be equally responsive.  While I am on the subject of changes that Regent could make, I would like to suggest that in certain ports there be an option to "give back to the community".  This could be teaching a class in a school, helping to clean up after a disaster, or any other activity that would benefit the local population.  Many of us have been to some of these ports repeatedly, and getting a chance to meet and help the locals would be a great experience.  This may have been suggested before, but I wanted to put my vote in.

I love this idea!  

• Thanks 1

I have no idea what Regent’s motivation for such a program was, but at Regent’s fare level I demand that tips be included, or I will look for cruise alternatives. Indeed, Regent’s fares have become significantly “off-putting” to us, even with fully included tips and no pressure to tip further.

3 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I have no idea what Regent’s motivation for such a program was, but at Regent’s fare level I demand that tips be included, or I will look for cruise alternatives. Indeed, Regent’s fares have become significantly “off-putting” to us, even with fully included tips and no pressure to tip further.

I "sort of" understand what their motivation might have been.  Despite how many of us feel, there are passengers that insist on tipping (this happens on all luxury cruise lines .... I've reading tipping threads on other luxury boards).  I think that Regent may have felt that doing a gift certificate might have been easier for the passenger but 99.9% of us did not think that this was a good idea.  If someone wants to tip, they are going to do it and cash is better than a gift certificate.

The bottom line is that I have no reason to believe that Regent will stop including tips.  What really puzzles me is that many(?) of us are "Seven Seas Society Council" members and they have yet to ask our opinions prior to implementing a new policy (not that they would have to listen to us -- just give us the courtesy of checking).

• Like 1

TC2, 

Asking members of the SS Society first would have been the way to go on a potentially controversial proposal like this one. We all know what would have happened had it not been cancelled. Visible crew members would be doting the last night, just like on the mass market lines before “auto tipping”. And many of us who are sensitive (never been accused of that) would feel “pressure”  to do the “expected thing” and tip (again) with these worthless certificates of little if any benefit to the crew member.

If what Regent’s fares for a cruise can’t allow for decent wages for the crew without tipping, I think I will find a better managed alternative, or just stay home in my mountain resort town. I tip service personnel very here in the US, because their employers aren’t required to pay them well, and they don’t. But, those places don’t subject me to a five figure “cover charge” like Regent does. With Regent’s fares, there should be no tipping, expressed, implied, or pressured. 

Guest ccpm
On 5/18/2019 at 2:02 AM, MontyRSSC said:

Thanks for all the feedback, positive and not so positive, and I have already asked the team to kill this initiative.  I will say that it is amazing how some people can rush to quick judgement on what our intentions are without having an inkling of an idea on what was the thinking behind our decision.  In this case I thought an idea that was good from a guest perspective as well as our crew was worth pursing but obviously it was good in theory but not in reality.

I am just a little surprised that an initiative was begun after minimal guest feedback on customer surveys with little or no information to regular Regent cruisers with the rationale and explanation of what the scheme aimed to achieve. Then after relatively few customer expressions of dissatisfaction on CC there is a response from 'Jason' followed very quickly by the above post where the initiative has already been "killed". So how do we explain why so many other items of feedback or items that garner strong opposition on CC are not similarly dealt with at lightening speed. Sorry may be it is a 'verified' email but seems very odd and out of sync to me.

11 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

If what Regent’s fares for a cruise can’t allow for decent wages for the crew without tipping, I think I will find a better managed alternative, or just stay home in my mountain resort town. 

I agree wholeheartedly about your feelings around extra tips.  However I love cruising.  Unfortunately there is no cruiseline to my knowledge that forbids tipping.  In fact, other luxury cruiselines do say that "gratuities are neither required or expected,"  but offer no alternative to further reward the crew.  Regent goes one step further and says  "If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office."   If everyone simply honored Regent's suggestion, this would not be an issue.  

Edited by papaflamingo

I’ve been following this conversation and have to add my 2 cents.   We just got off our first Seabourn cruise about a month ago and they, too,  have no tipping but they mean it!   We never heard any reference to a “crews fund,” been provided extra envelopes - nothing.   Not a word was said about it.  

One thing we noticed the first day we were on the ship is that the crew seems happy.   Like I said, we noticed this the first day.   Talking to one of the managers in the dining room, he said the staff is very well paid and it does show.   ALL of their dining room staff were very highly educated and they were from everywhere.

It was a good cruise and we definitely will sail Seabourn again.

• Like 1

Just now, alidor said:

I’ve been following this conversation and have to add my 2 cents.   We just got off our first Seabourn cruise about a month ago and they, too,  have no tipping but they mean it!   We never heard any reference to a “crews fund,” been provided extra envelopes - nothing.   Not a word was said about it.  

One thing we noticed the first day we were on the ship is that the crew seems happy.   Like I said, we noticed this the first day.   Talking to one of the managers in the dining room, he said the staff is very well paid and it does show.   ALL of their dining room staff were very highly educated and they were from everywhere.

It was a good cruise and we definitely will sail Seabourn again.

I agree with you. We have sailed on Seabourn for years, starting with the 3 little girls. Love, love the line and especially the three big sisters...they are the prefect in size and design, 450 passengers, comfortable standard suites and great public areas. The service and food is excellent as is Regent's, but you are not paying for tours you don't want to take and we think the itineraries are more varied. 

Seabourn does have a crew fund that benefits all the crew. We have given to it, but it is not advertised....just to go to Seabourn Square and tell them if you want to donate. In the past you could charge it to your shipbroad account.

Just now, cwn said:

I agree with you. We have sailed on Seabourn for years, starting with the 3 little girls. Love, love the line and especially the three big sisters...they are the prefect in size and design, 450 passengers, comfortable standard suites and great public areas. The service and food is excellent as is Regent's, but you are not paying for tours you don't want to take and we think the itineraries are more varied. 

Seabourn does have a crew fund that benefits all the crew. We have given to it, but it is not advertised....just to go to Seabourn Square and tell them if you want to donate. In the past you could charge it to your shipboard account.

What an odd program, seems like a bizarre way to come up with a new revenue generator and somewhat glad to see it was killed. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes on the ships, but I truly hope that the crew and staff have ready access to internet connections at no cost (or minimal at worst) to keep in contact with their family and friends. 

2 hours ago, slidebite said:

What an odd program, seems like a bizarre way to come up with a new revenue generator and somewhat glad to see it was killed. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes on the ships, but I truly hope that the crew and staff have ready access to internet connections at no cost (or minimal at worst) to keep in contact with their family and friends. 

Unless things have changed recently, the crew does not receive free internet.  Of course, in case of an emergency, I have no doubt that they would be able to use the internet at no cost.

Note:  Hope that it is okay to link a thread on another board.  This is very much on point - a tipping thread (current) on the Crystal board 

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Unless things have changed recently, the crew does not receive free internet.  Of course, in case of an emergency, I have no doubt that they would be able to use the internet at no cost.

Note:  Hope that it is okay to link a thread on another board.  This is very much on point - a tipping thread (current) on the Crystal boar

How in the world would you know this?  If you are speculating, please indicate this!

2 minutes ago, forgap said:

How in the world would you know this?  If you are speculating, please indicate this!

Not speculating so no need to indicate anything.   Regent has done it before and would do it again.  Regent did the same thing for passengers when internet was not included and there was an emergency.  Surprised that you are not aware of this as it is certainly not a secret.

• Like 2

Respectfully, how would you know this?  I understand that you could comment if YOU experienced an emergency and Regent accommodated YOU.  How would you know that this is the case for crew?   AND, even if the crew is accommodated in an emergency, why can’t the crew connect with family as part of their employment benefits?  

Once again, you speak for Regent as if they employ you!  Let either Jason O’Keefe of Jason Montegue speak for Regent! 

8 minutes ago, forgap said:

why can’t the crew connect with family as part of their employment benefits?

It's also my understanding that this is just not the way it works--they have to pay for internet. I can't remember how or when I heard about this, but it was onboard ship.  I guess with limited bandwidth they don't want the staff or crew to hog it.  That's why you see those folks heading for internet cafes when the ship is docked.

• Like 1

I have been away from CC for months - that sometimes annoying time consuming activity referred to as "work" has taken precedence over everything else. However, two different people sent me emails about this new program which I am happy to see that Regent put the kibosh on sooner than later. The only thing I can say is "What were they thinking"? Having worked in the corporate world, I find it almost impossible that the suggestion of one passenger could make such a significant change without the approval of more than one individual in the C suite.

I do not want to turn this thread into an argument on "tipping", I am only providing a suggestion as to what I do with my extra non-refundable OBC. At this point, there is very little that I find worth purchasing from the boutiques (this is for another thread, but who are the buyers for the boutiques - whenever I first enter the shoppes I am amazed at the items for sale and wondering if the buyers are aware of the demographics of the average passenger), but do not want the funds to go to waste. The only time I have ever seen crew members in the boutiques is to purchase one of two items, either snack foods or a bag to pack the extra items they accumulated during their time on the ship. I bring small gift bags with me (and use the tissue paper that the laundry fairy graciously brings to my suite) and over the course of the cruise, buy various snack items and make gifts bags for the crew. I hand the gift bags to various crew members, not just the ones I interact with on a regular basis. I know that the crew share the items with their friends and/or roommates and is greatly appreciated.

I also seem to accumulate folding luggage (i.e., LeSportsac knock offs) either from travel focus groups, trade shows, various travels, etc. I bring them with me on cruises and make sure that they get to crew members who may need an extra bag when getting ready to end a contract.

While "Cash is King", and I know some of the crew members use their tips to send the money home to their family, there are other simple ways to show appreciation to the crew. I know that if we are in port and see crew members eating at a restaurant, we will anonymously pick up the tab.

gnomie 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Some here should take a chill pill

Could not agree more.  That is what I get for answering a simple question for a poster.  These off topic posts (internet) reminds me of what Jason Montague posted earlier in this thread about not understanding Regent’s culture.  And, this culture is also onboard their sister company Oceania.  

To put this “off topic” subject to bed once and for all, yes, unfortunately I did have death in the family and was offered (without asking) use of the telephone at no cost (not the internet but close enough).  And, during some tragedies that occurred in the Philippines, crew members were able to contact their families to insure they were okay.  Of course, if someone did not believe what I posted earlier on this page, there is no reason to believe what I am posting now.

Lastly, saying that Regent would “no doubt” do something for a crew member or passenger isn’t a fact but rather it speaks to our experience and belief that Regent goes above and beyond for both their passengers and crew.   If someone doubts this, why are you sailing on Regent?

P.S.  Nowadays, since we have a lot of phone time, if I hear that any passenger needs to call home for a good reason, we offer the use of our phone.   It is just the right thing to do!

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

I can't seem to recall... on the website it says "free prepaid gratuities"  Was that wording always in place? For some reason I thought it was more of an "included" type phrase that has a different feel to it. Perhaps I'm thinking of another cruise line?

Are there a lot of people that give cash tips on top of the included gratuities?  Not looking for a show of hands, just approximations.  5%?  50%?  Someone would have to go above and beyond for me to give an additional tip, personally.  It hadn't occured to me that others might give additional tips.  I do think the crew welfare fund sounds like a great idea.