How did you find out about Celebrity Cruises?

Greenymac

1 hour ago, villauk said:

And she’s now winning awards for her cruise programme on Channel 5 - great series, very informative on many different cruise lines and worldwide offerings. 

Yes, thoroughly enjoyable...I love the fact you never see her aboard any ship without a glass in her hand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I booked our first cruise via a Sunday Newspaper advert mwhich was a NYC stay and 7 day NCL cruise. On the cruise a lot of people we spoke to recommended Celebrity as suiting us as did people, including my brother when we got home. Booked Celebrity for next cruise and now on number 7 and we love it 

Our 1st cruise was on the NCL Pearl to Alaska. No future cruise was on my radar until dear friends, who'd had a not pleasant experience on a short cruise out of FL, mentioned that the one cruise they'd consider was to the Baltic.

In researching itineraries that included Warnemunde, I found that Celebrity was launching a new ship, the Eclipse. NCL offered a similar itinerary and when I proposed the two options, our friends were in favor of Celebrity and so we booked it. 

Since that cruise, we've not deviated from Celebrity until last December when we tried the Nieuw Statendam after the EDGE. (The edge went to the EDGE.)

3 hours ago, villauk said:

And she’s now winning awards for her cruise programme on Channel 5 - great series, very informative on many different cruise lines and worldwide offerings. 

Yes-we also love her programmes, although we prefer the ocean cruises vs river cruises. 

On 5/18/2019 at 11:48 AM, Straughn said:

My brother was a RCCL employee when they purchased Celebrity. He told us to give it a try as we would find it a more upscale cruise line. He was oh, so, right. While the product has changed (not for the better), Celebrity is still my cruise line of choice.

Definitely correct...esp at that time.  Dh and I tried a  short cruise on  a Royal ship...Sovereign of the Seas... to see if he  would enjoy cruising.  He did, but  after X  recs , we decided Celeb sounded like a better fit for us,  We went on both lines for awhile but X won out for being more upscale and nicer ships at the time.....

Edited by hcat

My husband was awarded our first cruise on Celebrity through the Royal Bank of Canada’s reward and recognition program in 2004. Back then the banks would have very large numbers of its employees from all across Canada, as well as it US and Caribbean branches on a week long Caribbean cruise (and probably annoying the other passengers by theirs large numbers and taking over of certain areas of the ship at times). The event has grown so large that RBC now charters a whole ship, so no more interfering with other guests experiences. There are many Royal bankers who have become avid cruisers after being awarded their first one, a very expensive new way to enjoy travel and getting away from the stresses of work!

Our first cruise, through a TA, way before the internet, was the Celebrity Century.  We were hooked and followed with the Galaxy and Horizon, all through the TA.   Once the internet was born,  I did my shopping online with more competitive prices.  We've been on all the ships except the Edge!!

We live in the U.K. and in the 1990’s I watched a TV show featuring the singerJane MacDonald on Galaxy. We had already started cruising when we took early retirement in 1995, so in 2003 I booked us on Infinity to Alaska.i liked Celebrity better than other lines we had cruised, so have mainly stayed with them since. I just wished we had switched earlier, as we would be Elite + by now.

I would only take the newest ships regardless of line. When I saw that Celebrity was launching a new ship "Millennium" for the Millennium we decided to take it for the New Years cruise. We enjoyed the experience and the following New Year took the new Summit.

I really don't remember when we first heard about Celebrity, but had been cruising since 1977 and were familiar with the various lines.

Edited by Orator

Around 10 years ago, my wife and I spotted a cruise ship in Greenock, Scotland. I`m not sure which ship is was . It had smoked glass and was quite dark coloured. Noticing the large "X" on the funnel...woohoo!, I thought ...adult party ship !! 

Next day, we went to our travel agent and got a brochure. It suited, we booked  a flight to Miami and sailed out from Lauderdale. We've been hooked ever since cruising with Celebrity 3 times a year. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, govanguy said:

Around 10 years ago, my wife and I spotted a cruise ship in Greenock, Scotland. I`m not sure which ship is was . It had smoked glass and was quite dark coloured. Noticing the large "X" on the funnel...woohoo!, I thought ...adult party ship !! 

Next day, we went to our travel agent and got a brochure. It suited, we booked  a flight to Miami and sailed out from Lauderdale. We've been hooked ever since cruising with Celebrity 3 times a year. 

It only takes one time to get hooked. 

• Like 1

We started sailing with Sitmar back in 1984, they were a fantastic Italian owned company. Princess bought Sitmar in 1989 so we wanted to still sail with an Italian line so we started sailing with Costa, they also were very good until Carnival bought them. Around that time Celebrity made its debut and being of Greek ancestry we sailed on the Century in 1996, wonderful cruise with great food and a gorgeous ship. We then took about 8 cruises with Holland America but went back to Celebrity for an Alaska cruise in 2000 and a Bermuda cruise in 2001, that cruise 3 was right before 9.11 and we docked back in NYC 11 days before that tragic day. We then booked another cruise on the Horizon for 2002 but Celebrity canceled the cruise and they way it was handled made us a little upset so we haven't been on a Celebrity ship since 2001. We finally decided to give the line another go so after an 18 year gap and are sailing on the Equinox on June 15. Looking forward to the cruise.

Edited by MISTER 67

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:20 AM, Greenymac said:

The reason I'm curious is that here in the US, I have never in my life seen an advertisement or commercial for Celebrity. Carnival, Norwegian, and RCCL advertise regularly though. I decided we were going to take our first cruise, so I started researching what line would suit us best.

I was really only looking at the previous 3 I mentioned, but as I was reading and watching videos I saw another line called Celebrity, so I started digging into who they were since I had never heard of it. Before long, after reading and researching I felt Celebrity clicked the most boxes for us so I booked our first cruise last fall and we cruised in December. I ended up loving it and never even saw any commercial or advertisement, Although I've spoken to friends in the UK who says Celebrity advertises heavily there. 

Two ways. One as seeing "Ellen" promoting the line several years ago. Being a gay couple we paid attention to that. Unfortunately we've found Celebrity does little to reach out to the LGBT community. Cunard/Princess posted it daily in their in house paper. Celebrity puts a little blurb on the daily bulletin board near Guest services. They never have it conveniently timed or in my opinion in a good spot. Martini Bar was the local & it's always jammed with people. The other is our T/A handles mostly Celebrity/Princess. That being said, Celebrity offers a generally decent product, with a good itinerary. There has been a lot of cutbacks the last few years in entertainment/food quality. We now prefer Oceania hands down, but still will do a 14 night cruise next Jan. on the Silhouette.

Edited by keithm
additions

My mom has sailed X many times.  We have enjoyed sailing together on other lines and she raves about the Summit to Bermuda.  She went again last week and just returned on Sunday.  So I took advantage of the kids sail free (gasp!) and 3 free perks and we are sailing to Bermuda in August.  cannot wait!  

On 5/18/2019 at 9:39 AM, davekathy said:

Read about them in a travel magazine at the dentist office when Chandris created Celebrity Cruises in the late '80s. 

Our first Celebrity cruise (and first cruise ever) was in 1994 on the ancient 1950's Amerikanis, which had originally been used to ferry folks between the UK and South Africa.  We were part of a group put together by our state bar assn.  Boarded in San Juan PR, having flown down there same day.  Two years later we cruised on the Horizon and have now done 11 cruises on X for 96 days, the latest being a Can/NE cruise on the Summit in 2015.  Along the way we tried Princess and that then became our go-to line.  One reason I was attracted to the line was its Greek roots and hence it serving roast lamb, something I grew up on even with no Greek blood in our family <g>.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:25 PM, Greenymac said:

God I wish they would put a ship cruising out of Jacksonville!!! So much closer for me than south FLA. My driveway to jaxport 2 hours flat, less if I'm really pushing.

We sailed on the Zenith out of there back in 1999.  We flew in same day (never do that any more).  Living in Michigan we have a longish flight to any port <g>.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:09 AM, Swann5 said:

My husband was awarded our first cruise on Celebrity through the Royal Bank of Canada’s reward and recognition program in 2004. Back then the banks would have very large numbers of its employees from all across Canada, as well as it US and Caribbean branches on a week long Caribbean cruise (and probably annoying the other passengers by theirs large numbers and taking over of certain areas of the ship at times). The event has grown so large that RBC now charters a whole ship, so no more interfering with other guests experiences. There are many Royal bankers who have become avid cruisers after being awarded their first one, a very expensive new way to enjoy travel and getting away from the stresses of work!

I also was awarded the employee convention cruise in 2001, on the Century.  As you said back then it wasn't a full charter and we met several passengers who sailed specifically on that cruise each year due to the continuous party for 7 days. Dancing until 3 am was the norm...and the original beverage package...all you had to do was find an executive to buy you a drink.  Been hooked ever since.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:20 AM, Greenymac said:

The reason I'm curious is that here in the US, I have never in my life seen an advertisement or commercial for Celebrity. Carnival, Norwegian, and RCCL advertise regularly though. I decided we were going to take our first cruise, so I started researching what line would suit us best.

I was really only looking at the previous 3 I mentioned, but as I was reading and watching videos I saw another line called Celebrity, so I started digging into who they were since I had never heard of it. Before long, after reading and researching I felt Celebrity clicked the most boxes for us so I booked our first cruise last fall and we cruised in December. I ended up loving it and never even saw any commercial or advertisement, Although I've spoken to friends in the UK who says Celebrity advertises heavily there. 

TV commercials.  Include Viking cruises as well.    On my PBS stations.   I have digital cable TV.   Also, You Tube is your friend.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, Mojogurued said:

Future Cruise counter on Adventure of the Seas. My gal wants something more upscale for your honeymoon cruise. Why not give it a try?

Why not sail on a luxury cruise line like Oceania (my favorite), Regent, Crystal, Viking, or Silverseas cruise lines?

Edited by Kingofcool1947