Do you speak up when you see rulebreaking?

CTOM

On 5/18/2019 at 12:22 PM, CTOM said:

Just got off a HAL cruise, and wife and I were astonished by how many people filled their water bottles directly from the water/coffee spouts in Lido.  With signs everywhere telling them not to do it, and staff everywhere watching them do it and ignoring the people.   Do any of you ever speak up when people don't obey the posted rules and when the staff refuses to enforce the same rules??  It was especially bad, because we saw several people drink from their bottles then immediately put it right up (touching) the spout.

Related:  What about when see you see a woman move the tongs out of the way so she can reach her hand into the chip bowl and grab a handful by hand.  Eat a few, then go reach in for more.

I know I'm not the HAL police, but it was sooo tempting to go ask her, "Is there a reason you didn't just use the tongs?"

How should we handle these disgusting habits??  We're not even germiphobes; we just believe in following common courtesy.

Curious on your experiences.

On my last cruise (Galapagos with Celebrity) each passenger was given a reusable water bottle and I believe the dispenser/fountain was spoutless (something like the one in this photo) so it would be difficult to share germs. My gym and some airports I’ve been to now have something similar too and people seem happy with that. 

Our next cruise will be on the Koningsdam this summer and I’m guessing they’ll have the typical spouts that people touch/contaminate with their reusable bottles. Any tips on how to work around that other than never drinking anything in the Lido? Do you buy bottles of water to keep in your room? Does HAL allow you to bring water bottles back from port?

6B7748AE-5B8E-4DBC-8892-3435EB98ACD9.png

1 minute ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

On my last cruise (Galapagos with Celebrity) each passenger was given a reusable water bottle and I believe the dispenser/fountain was spoutless (something like the one in this photo) so it would be difficult to share germs. My gym and some airports I’ve been to now have something similar too and people seem happy with that. 

Our next cruise will be on the Koningsdam this summer and I’m guessing they’ll have the typical spouts that people touch/contaminate with their reusable bottles. Any tips on how to work around that other than never drinking anything in the Lido? Do you buy bottles of water to keep in your room? Does HAL allow you to bring water bottles back from port?

I was wondering if there was a way to avoid the spout contamination issue.

If I'm taking a bottle of water somewhere on board, I'll fill it in my room. I drink the tapwater, no problem. 

Yes, you may bring on water and soft drinks.

30 minutes ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

On my last cruise (Galapagos with Celebrity) each passenger was given a reusable water bottle and I believe the dispenser/fountain was spoutless (something like the one in this photo) so it would be difficult to share germs.

IIRC, the Koningsdam has these in the Lido, but not adjacent to the other drink dispensers. If you didn't know what it was, you might not realize what it was for. Many of the athletic facilities here have them, and as this issue seems to be a perpetual problem on HAL, I don't know why they don't add them to all of the ships as it's an easy retrofit.

23 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

IIRC, the Koningsdam has these in the Lido, but not adjacent to the other drink dispensers. If you didn't know what it was, you might not realize what it was for. Many of the athletic facilities here have them, and as this issue seems to be a perpetual problem on HAL, I don't know why they don't add them to all of the ships as it's an easy retrofit.

Thank you for the tip! I’ll look for them on Koningsdam. I agree with you that this seems like an easy and inexpensive fix and hope they become more common. 

18 minutes ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

Thank you for the tip! I’ll look for them on Koningsdam.

Check in the area near the hand washing station. I'll be on the Nieuw Statendam three weeks from today (!) and I hope that she has them too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

This is being implemented on Oceania already with banning plastic bottles and straws. Sorry forgot the name Vero?

usually sammiedawg will chime in on this subject . Will see this on our b2b cruises on Riviera which will give us bottles to keep and to use on board! Will see. Like the idea.

Denise😊

10 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I seriously doubt that if you tell a person to stop grabbing for the dinner rolls with his bare hands, he will pull out his Glock 9mm and shoot you. 

However, if someone is so ill-mannered that they grab dinner rolls with their bare hands, it is possible they are ill-mannered enough to punch someone in the nose.....

Edited by VennDiagram
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

How do you know they’re not a psycho hit man on family vacation.

Nor push comes to shove I used to be able to take care of myself hand to hand, but who knows it’ll stay hand to hand.

What are the odds that two of us psycho hit men would be on the same cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

We have one of those in the lobby of the hotel, attached above the regular water fountain.  It keeps a tally of how many refills were done, so it's kind of cool to see that people are really using it. 

Perhaps some of those cruisers on HAL have never seen one of these before and don't know what it's for.  I mean, some are still getting used to push button phones from rotary dial... 😉

Edited by slidergirl

Usualy I mind my own business- as many said- it is not my job to supervise if the all regulations are obied!

However if a dangerous situation is to except I sure would speak to a nearby staff member.

I have to admit i do not obey all rules always- if it is not dangerous to others anyway!

On 5/19/2019 at 2:28 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

I draw the line at politics. If I start hearing it at our diner table or on an excursion, the “pit bull” in me comes out very quickly and loudly and the discussion ends shortly thereafter. 

wait, what?? If you hear someone unaffiliated with you talk politics you interrupt or interject to the point of ending THEIR conversation? weird. 

• Like 3

On 5/18/2019 at 11:22 AM, CTOM said:

Just got off a HAL cruise, and wife and I were astonished by how many people filled their water bottles directly from the water/coffee spouts in Lido.  With signs everywhere telling them not to do it, and staff everywhere watching them do it and ignoring the people.   Do any of you ever speak up when people don't obey the posted rules and when the staff refuses to enforce the same rules??  It was especially bad, because we saw several people drink from their bottles then immediately put it right up (touching) the spout.

Related:  What about when see you see a woman move the tongs out of the way so she can reach her hand into the chip bowl and grab a handful by hand.  Eat a few, then go reach in for more.

I know I'm not the HAL police, but it was sooo tempting to go ask her, "Is there a reason you didn't just use the tongs?"

How should we handle these disgusting habits??  We're not even germiphobes; we just believe in following common courtesy.

Curious on your experiences.

I, for one, have never seen this but then I am oblivious to many things.  I just am not very observant.

On 5/18/2019 at 7:31 PM, Copper10-8 said:

When it comes to someone grabbing for food on the buffet line in an inappropriate manner, I basically turn to my wife and say something derogatory, but loud enough so the person can hear. This way I get my point across, as they know they’re not supposed to be doing it, without confronting them directly.

I wish I had thought of that once. I saw an elderly man pawing through a bin of rolls with his fingers, rejecting many before he finally took one.  I didn't have the nerve to say anything, and just moved on by.  A little while later when we sitting at a table I saw him pass by, facing me. He was wearing a Holland America tag that said CHAPLAIN !!!  😵

Edited by catl331
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hubbard53 said:

wait, what?? If you hear someone unaffiliated with you talk politics you interrupt or interject to the point of ending THEIR conversation? weird. 

When I’m eating at the same sharing table. Yup. I basically say, please, no politics. 

• Like 2

I draw the line at politics. If I start hearing it at our diner table or on an excursion, the “pit bull” in me comes out very quickly and loudly and the discussion ends shortly thereafter. 

24 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

When I’m eating at the same sharing table. Yup. I basically say, please, no politics. 

"Pit bull" doesn't conjure up images of someone saying "please."