Change for large bills?

You may find that you will be limited in how they will break down your change.

They often limit the number of ones you can get, for instance.  Of course, you can always go back with a ten and get ten more ones, etc.

I find some ships to be very stingy at GS to break down 20 dollar bills for one dollar bills...even though those bills are going into crew member's hands as tips.   Years ago, I make now sure to hit my local bank for a pack of ones (or two depending on length of cruise).  Much easier than begging.  😉 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

I find some ships to be very stingy at GS to break down 20 dollar bills for one dollar bills...even though those bills are going into crew member's hands as tips.   Years ago, I make now sure to hit my local bank for a pack of ones (or two depending on length of cruise).  Much easier than begging.  😉 

Have frequently had issues at GS breaking a 20 for 4 $5.  They keep telling me they do not have $5 and I tell them to buy them back from the crew.  Crew members have lots of $5 and $1 and probably would rather have the $20.

Whenever GS tells me they can't break down a bill I ask the person for 10 of their business cards - tell them I'm going to hand them out to the crew and let them know "you" wouldn't give me change to have tip money for them.

Works EVERY time.

4 hours ago, island lady said:

I would agree.  There have been times over the years where the allotted tip money that we have brought onboard started running thin.  As a rule...we have been able to break "larger" bills...20s, 50s, 100s at Guest Services.  However, on more than one occasion we have been turned away saying x-number of smaller denominations are simply not available.  That being said, we too now bring $50 (or more) 1s...(to your point) so we don't have to beg.  And if we come home with leftovers?  We somehow find a way to spend them.  😉

17 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Have frequently had issues at GS breaking a 20 for 4 $5.  They keep telling me they do not have $5 and I tell them to buy them back from the crew.  Crew members have lots of $5 and $1 and probably would rather have the $20.

Agree totally.  Makes total sense to me as well.  

13 hours ago, SuzD123 said:

I would agree.  There have been times over the years where the allotted tip money that we have brought onboard started running thin.  As a rule...we have been able to break "larger" bills...20s, 50s, 100s at Guest Services.  However, on more than one occasion we have been turned away saying x-number of smaller denominations are simply not available.  That being said, we too now bring $50 (or more) 1s...(to your point) so we don't have to beg.  And if we come home with leftovers?  We somehow find a way to spend them.  😉

LOL...that's for sure.   No expiration date on those leftover small bills.  😄   I just put the extra (assuming there actually ARE extras 😉 )....back into my cruise pack.