Wedding Cruise Troubles

I have signed up for a wedding cruise this September on the Equinox.  I paid for the wedding portion already and the final payment for the cruise is due next month.  We were notified a couple days ago that the wedding prices for various pieces of the wedding have gone up and we would need to pay.  One example is the arch that you stand under to get married went from about &100 dollars to rent to over $500 dollars.  This is just one item of many.  I feel like the company is taking advantage of us.  We have left voicemails, but have not received any return calls.  I contacted Celebrity and was told that the wedding company is a separate company.  I advised that they may be,  but operate under the cruise line.  I spoke to another celebrity employee who was more sympathetic,  but not sure they will pass on my problem to anyone above them.  Now a wedding on the beach is turning into a mess.  Not sure if I should cancel the whole thing or continue and feel ripped off.  Just thought I would give a heads up to anyone else who may be thinking of a cruise wedding. Not what we expected.

7 minutes ago, Cruising Time 523 said:

Now a wedding on the beach is turning into a mess.  Not sure if I should cancel the whole thing or continue and feel ripped off.

What beach?  Maybe contact someone on island?  Need more details.

Something here doesn't sound right, maybe just because I'm a man.

If you "already paid for the wedding portion" how could an increase in prices be pasted on to you now?

I'd be making many more calls to Celebrity, working my way up the pecking order until I got some explicit answers and I wouldn't be paying more for what has already been purchased.  Good luck.

• Like 4

Did you have a contract of some kind with confirmation of the arrangements and pricing?  Have you paid a deposit? if so I don’t think they can change the pricing.  

If you have a contract and paid a deposit then I would suggest you email CelebrityOneTouch@ Celebrity.com

This had me intrigued so I did some digging in the dreaded terms and conditions.  It is surprisingly hard to find - hopefully it is easier if you actually book the cruise! I won't bore anyone by typing the whole thing out but basically where arrangements are made on shore, even if made by or through Celebrity, and even if Celebrity makes a profit from it, they hold no liability for or control over the third party element.  (Its s5 of the main contract if you want to look)

So assuming this general exemption arises Celebrity may take your experience to refuse to deal with that supplier again, or they may even use the weight of their custom to try to bring he supplier back in line.  But they are not (legally at least) responsible.

But do look at the small print on your own contract as there area so many different versions applicable in different jurisdictions etc.

OP: you may also want to post in the Honeymoon and Wedding Cruises forum here on CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/18-honeymoon-amp-wedding-cruises/ 

I share the concerns expressed above: if you have already paid, what contract gives the company the right to change the price?  And please do write to the email address that jelayne posted above.

Good luck, and congratulations on your marriage.

• Like 2

Contract has some interesting clauses:

"All prices are in U.S. Dollars and are subject to change without notice."

"CANCELLATION POLICY: For a full refund of your wedding package, a written notice of cancellation must be forwarded by the Client to the Company no later than sixty (60) days prior to the sail date. A refund, less $500.00 USD ($250.00 USD for vow renewals) administration fee, less any fees associated with the marriage license, and less holiday and/ or weekend fees, will be issued. No refunds will be made for cancellations made less than sixty (60) days prior to the sailing date. Once the wedding is confirmed with full payment, a wedding reservation can only be rescheduled outside of sixty (60) days prior to the sail date. If rescheduling of the wedding date is required, for any reason, it is subject to availability and a rescheduling fee of $250.00. Special note: The following services must be ordered no later than forty-five (45) days prior to the sail date, paid in full at the time of booking, and are not subject to a refund once confirmed with payment: special Officiants (denomination/language/sex), custom floral orders, ice sculptures, entertainment/live musicians, transportation, canopy/chuppah, site fees, entrance fees, chairs, favors, and any other customized enhancements."

Very expensive to cancel.

I would cancel and get married at home or if a beach wedding is that important to you do it in the Keys. Destination weddings and cruise ships can be a recipe for disaster. What if they have to skip the port? September is prime hurricane season.

• Like 2

I second that.  I would have a bad taste in my mouth already and who wants that when anticipating their wedding?!  And sounds like more unpleasantness is likely to come.  And I certainly wouldn't want to be planning something this important with a company that wouldn't return my calls/emails!!!  RUN!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Swampbabe said:

I would cancel and get married at home or if a beach wedding is that important to you do it in the Keys. Destination weddings and cruise ships can be a recipe for disaster. What if they have to skip the port? September is prime hurricane season.

Came here to say exactly this...ports are missed...a good bit in hurricane season.  I would make alternate plans..

Are you on the Sept 23 cruise?  I am booked on that one now...our wedding anniversary is Sept 23. our  30th...good luck with your wedding, whatever you choose.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

6 hours ago, oneputt18 said:

Contract has some interesting clauses:

"All prices are in U.S. Dollars and are subject to change without notice."

"CANCELLATION POLICY: For a full refund of your wedding package, a written notice of cancellation must be forwarded by the Client to the Company no later than sixty (60) days prior to the sail date. A refund, less $500.00 USD ($250.00 USD for vow renewals) administration fee, less any fees associated with the marriage license, and less holiday and/ or weekend fees, will be issued. No refunds will be made for cancellations made less than sixty (60) days prior to the sailing date. Once the wedding is confirmed with full payment, a wedding reservation can only be rescheduled outside of sixty (60) days prior to the sail date. If rescheduling of the wedding date is required, for any reason, it is subject to availability and a rescheduling fee of $250.00. Special note: The following services must be ordered no later than forty-five (45) days prior to the sail date, paid in full at the time of booking, and are not subject to a refund once confirmed with payment: special Officiants (denomination/language/sex), custom floral orders, ice sculptures, entertainment/live musicians, transportation, canopy/chuppah, site fees, entrance fees, chairs, favors, and any other customized enhancements."

Very expensive to cancel.

Bad vibes from this company as you describe things..

Even with a hefty cancellation fee..(.outrageous as they have done nothing for you  yet),    I  would cancel asap...not the cruise but the wedding package. I'd do so in writing as specified in the contract  sent  return receipt  to appropriate address.   Gives time to make sure they issue the refund or for you to file a credit card dispute.

if you do not receive  any return calls, I'd  try to file the report  now!

Not very reputable to try and raise prices already quoted  but not sure the fees were agreed to in your contract.  ...Nevertheless seems like the start of more bad stuff to come.  You can get married shortly  before your cruise and have a great Champagne Celebration on Board!  Or research  for a way to do it independently on St Thomas.

Congratulations ...it will turn out fine if you re group  now...

Unfortunately, booking a cruise can be an unpredictable adventure.  Itineraries can change from day to day, especially in hurricane season.  Even if things go exceptionally well with the wedding planner, you could still face profound disappointment if your port where the wedding is taking place is cancelled due to weather conditions.  The captain will not go to St. Thomas for any reason if it's unsafe to do so.  How awful would that be to find out the day before you won't get your wedding!   I would cancel immediately and look at other options.

ARGH!  What an awful situation.  Not surprised at Celebrity's reaction or lack thereof.  This seems to be in-line with Celebrity's recent policy (which started with their current management team) of constant "cut backs" matched with continuous price hikes. And it is typical that the mass market cruise lines will disavow any responsibility for their third party contractors including Internet folks, photographers, and the shops.  We tend to avoid purchasing anything of value on a cruise since it is unlikely that the cruise line or its vendors will stand behind their products.   And these days the savings found onboard are often miniscule....if even that!    A good example is the "Duty Free Liquor" found on Celebrity and Princess.  In both cases I can usually find the same products at home for just about the same price (or even less when it comes to Cognac).   

This sounds like an awful way to start married life!  At this point, if it is possible, I would tell them (the wedding company) to take a hike.  If the cruise line continues to be useless you might try putting the related wedding payments under "dispute" with your credit card company.  

Hank