The Edge Invinate Veranada warning

tapemann

1 minute ago, Big_G said:

So suites aren't the only cabins with a regular verandas?

There are 94 other cabins with regular verandas including sunset verandas and deluxe oceanview with veranda (1A &1B).

1 minute ago, bkbarrym said:

There are 94 other cabins with regular verandas including sunset verandas and deluxe oceanview with veranda (1A &1B).

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I wonder if they're in high demand after all the hubbub about the IV's.

37 minutes ago, villauk said:

This was stated by a few of us on CC before the Edge was even built and it was also pointed out that surely Viking, being one of the market leaders in river cruises and so more of ‘experts’ in this field, would have considered this option for their new builds if they thought it would have been a viable option for ocean cruise ships? River cruising is at a totally different level in the water to that of ocean cruising. 

As someone else pointed out, each to their own of what they prefer: a true balcony cabin on another ship or a cabin with a window that opens on the Edge design.

Yes, I was involved in those discussions here 2 years ago. There are new people on here now wondering why X would change their traditional balconies to IVs, so I thought it would be interesting to bring out those pictures again of the river cruise ship balconies that are quite similar in concept to the IV. It is a different way to ocean cruise, but X said over and over and over:  the Edge would be a different take on cruising and it surely is different.  We will just have to see if it will catch on, especially with the pitfalls with their first edition of the IV. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I wonder if they're in high demand after all the hubbub about the IV's.

I thought I would have trouble booking Sunset Verandas, but have found quite a few to choose from on cruises next year on the Edge and Apex.  Probably just Cruise Critic people are in the know have booked them! 😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Big_G said:

This thread lays out the various types of Edge cabins, with pictures. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Probably. There are only 36 SVs.  The  IA & 1B cabins are located either far forward or aft and the balcony, though open, appears somewhat enclosed.

Edited by bkbarrym

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

This thread lays out the various types of Edge cabins, with pictures. 🙂

2 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

Probably. There are only 36 SVs.  The  IA & 1B cabins are located either far forward or aft and the balcony, though open, appears somewhat enclosed.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Globehoppers said:

No.  The IV balcony is much better then a regular balcony, especially in the hot Caribbean.  Adds another 40-50 sq ft of A/C interior space with and is well designed.  The powered black-out curtain works very well.  There are other challenges with the ship and even the cabin, but the IV balcony isn't one of them.  Enjoy!

nb: Suggest those who don't like the IV cabins select something else, even a different ship.

I couldn't disagree more. In the Caribbean, we enjoy having the outside space a regular verandah offers rather than sitting by an open window. We often go out to spray sunscreen/insect repellant without having the fumes in our room. We like sitting outside in the evening with wine and breathing in the sea air and in the morning enjoying our coffee and croissants doing the same. We like being able to quietly go outside while the other is sleeping to read at night and early morning. Leaving the curtains closed, in the morning offers the sleeper darkness and air conditioning. Opening the doors to the IV and the operation of the blinds and window makes enough noise to wake the sleeper, floods the cabin with light and makes the cabin hot. As far as the cabin being well designed, there is no functional table for room service, either on the IV or in the cabin unless one person at a time eats at the desk!  This is a cabin with an operational window, not a verandah. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. 

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 3

Also, as far as these cabins being well designed, the lack of functional tables either in the cabin or in the IV space is poor design. The lack of table makes it impossible for two people to enjoy room service and eat together. The only usable table is the desk, and only 1 person at a time can use it.

15 minutes ago, citronella said:

How true ! And these cabins are slightly smaller - checked them against the dimensions of the Silhouette.

The Edge IV cabins are 202 SF, and the S -class Veranda cabins are 194 SF. How are the Edge IV cabins smaller? The Edge IV veranda is 42 SF, while the S-class veranda is 54 SF, so it's true that the S-class veranda is larger, but not the cabin. If you're considering total SF, the Edge IV wins, with 244 total SF of cabin space, while the S-class cabin remains at 194 SF (as you can't consider an exterior veranda part of the interior cabin space).

Edited by Silkroad

Be careful about concluding the Edge IV cabins are bigger than S-class balcony cabins.  A lot of the complaints arise from the functionality of the IV cabins.  The numbers indicate the cabin is larger and feature bigger bathrooms.  The larger bathrooms are nice but do most cruisers think that is a good trade-off?  Perhaps that's where the extra 8-squre feet was used in the IV cabins.  Second is the introduction of king-size beds.  This is advertised as an industry first.  That's nice but in all of the CC threads I've read, I don't remember anyone complaining that the beds were too small.  I think they were trying to solve a problem that didn't exist.  The result of larger bed is to take away useable space from the cabin.  There is also the issue of the inner doors to the IV balcony.  Those doors need a lot of space to swing open, again taking usable space from the cabin.  The most significant casualty from losing usable space were the tables inside and on the balcony.  Many of us miss those tables, the larger balcony and the curtains in the area of the swing doors.  The cabins are just not functional for many of us.  It's simple to say, "just don't sail on these ships" and for now we won't.  But there will come a day in the next few years where they will start using the Edge Class ships on our favorite itineraries then we will be stuck with these problems unless Celebrity makes some significant changes soon.  Someone really missed the boat on the IV balcony design, they sided with style over function.

• Like 2

Maybe our resident expert can chime in, but imo the IV concept was decided long before the detail work with designing the cabin took part.

If you are starting from scratch, you layout the structure of the ship and the question, how the hull is designed ( with traditional balconies vs IVs) will be determined right at the beginning.

Structural strength, aerodynamics, public spaces/passenger space/staff space - everything depends on the measurement of the cabins and how the balcony looks like.

I can‘t imagine that they are starting with designing a ship with traditional balconies and all of the sudden the designer comes up with the idea of an IV and they suddenly go that route.

Edited by Yoshikitty

1 hour ago, bigbeergut said:

Be careful about concluding the Edge IV cabins are bigger than S-class balcony cabins.  A lot of the complaints arise from the functionality of the IV cabins.  

First, I was responding to someone's statement about the dimensions of the cabins, and I found those dimensions in a Celebrity source. Second, since I've just spent 15 nights in an IV, I know all about the functionality of that cabin, and I'm certainly qualified to draw my own conclusions. Regardless of the number of complaints (including my own) about some the design and furniture decisions Celebrity made during the Edge build, I would expect only the least costly errors to be remedied. As I have posted on my review (and other threads), and others have posted on various threads, Celebrity has made some changes, and more are planned. Will they cast out hundreds of king size beds, along with mountains of linens? I think not. Might they continue to make less extreme, but still useful changes? Yes.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, citronella said:

I was looking at total square footage. I’d rather have 194 in room and 54 on the balcony than a faux balcony look in the room.  Just my preference.

Will you feel the same if Celebrity puts king beds in all the Veranda cabins during the "Revolution"?

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:14 PM, cruisestitch said:

I doubt if AIROS has been on edge otherwise he/she would know that the “infinite verandah” isn’t a real verandah and is, in actuality, a room with a window, so tgere’s No balcony to go out onto.

Not sure I agree with this.  Close the doors between the room and the window and WOW.....it's a balcony!

• Like 3

I have a feeling I am WAY in the minority here but I absolutely love that they added king size beds - I would trade a coffee table any day for a king bed.  We typically move the coffee table to a corner of the room anyway to get it out of our way, I hate having a clunky table in the middle of the room taking up such valuable space. 

And are we the only ones who eat in bed when we order room service?  We think of it as breakfast in bed!  But then again we've only ordered breakfast for room service.

As far as the IV, I am so excited to have the extra space in the room and even more importantly some privacy!  A big pet peeve of mine is when neighbors peek around into my balcony - SO looking forward to not having to worry about this and enjoy my view in peace!

My concern though is the lack of curtain/shade on the balcony doors.  Impossible for one person to wake up and enjoy the balcony without waking the other (noise and light).  It seems that this could be remedied easily though. Not sure why X thinks frosted doors will do the trick as that does not fix the light issue.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Will you feel the same if Celebrity puts king beds in all the Veranda cabins during the "Revolution"?

Yes, I’ll feel the same - I still won’t like the faux balcony.

I’d still take a regular verandah even though I would lose 16 inches due to the width of the king bed.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 2:29 AM, scorpio123456 said:

Just back from cruise on Edge had IV cabin. Enjoyed it.

But would not pay the extra cost as it is a ocean view with a widow that opens.

You don’t get the balcony experience, sound of waves wind in you hair sun on your face.

I found that with the window down that indeed the ocean sounds are in fact heard.   In general its not the same as a balcony experience but something different.  If I was buying the cabin I might think hard if I like the IV enough but a 7 day experience worked ok.  

2 hours ago, cricketgirl said:

And are we the only ones who eat in bed when we order room service?  We think of it as breakfast in bed!  But then again we've only ordered breakfast for room service.

Sorry but other meals in bed just don't work for us.  We use the small table in the room or the balcony table if it's nice enough to eat outside.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I couldn't disagree more. In the Caribbean, we enjoy having the outside space a regular verandah offers rather than sitting by an open window. We often go out to spray sunscreen/insect repellant without having the fumes in our room. We like sitting outside in the evening with wine and breathing in the sea air and in the morning enjoying our coffee and croissants doing the same. We like being able to quietly go outside while the other is sleeping to read at night and early morning. Leaving the curtains closed, in the morning offers the sleeper darkness and air conditioning. Opening the doors to the IV and the operation of the blinds and window makes enough noise to wake the sleeper, floods the cabin with light and makes the cabin hot. As far as the cabin being well designed, there is no functional table for room service, either on the IV or in the cabin unless one person at a time eats at the desk!  This is a cabin with an operational window, not a verandah. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. 

Definitely not a good fit for you.  You can try a Sunset Veranda or a suite.

We enjoyed our AQ IV but are trying a SV on EDGE..1st time for us. It is a more spacious  cabin and has a large balcony.

Prices were lower than AQ class.

4 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Regardless of the number of complaints (including my own) about some the design and furniture decisions Celebrity made during the Edge build, I would expect only the least costly errors to be remedied. As I have posted on my review (and other threads), and others have posted on various threads, Celebrity has made some changes, and more are planned. Will they cast out hundreds of king size beds, along with mountains of linens? I think not. Might they continue to make less extreme, but still useful changes? Yes.

I think you've missed the point.  First, I've given up on the Edge.  I'm hoping some more significant changes could be made for the Apex and later Edge class ships.    I agree they are not going to make any significant change that can save the IV's on the Edge.  Just throwing the king size mattresses overboard wouldn't solve anything.  They need to redesign the rest of the furniture to use the extra space.  The inside doors take up too much space, too much space needs to be kept clear for the door swing.  Perhaps the can replace the current swinging doors with some kind of sliding door arrangement.  Maybe they abandon the king size beds on the Apex.    Future Edge class ships need to start with a clean sheet of paper and redesign the interior of the IV cabins.

On 5/29/2019 at 12:02 PM, bigbeergut said:

Be careful about concluding the Edge IV cabins are bigger than S-class balcony cabins.  A lot of the complaints arise from the functionality of the IV cabins.  The numbers indicate the cabin is larger and feature bigger bathrooms.  The larger bathrooms are nice but do most cruisers think that is a good trade-off?  Perhaps that's where the extra 8-squre feet was used in the IV cabins.  Second is the introduction of king-size beds.  This is advertised as an industry first.  That's nice but in all of the CC threads I've read, I don't remember anyone complaining that the beds were too small.  I think they were trying to solve a problem that didn't exist.  The result of larger bed is to take away useable space from the cabin.  There is also the issue of the inner doors to the IV balcony.  Those doors need a lot of space to swing open, again taking usable space from the cabin.  The most significant casualty from losing usable space were the tables inside and on the balcony.  Many of us miss those tables, the larger balcony and the curtains in the area of the swing doors.  The cabins are just not functional for many of us.  It's simple to say, "just don't sail on these ships" and for now we won't.  But there will come a day in the next few years where they will start using the Edge Class ships on our favorite itineraries then we will be stuck with these problems unless Celebrity makes some significant changes soon.  Someone really missed the boat on the IV balcony design, they sided with style over function.

True enough if you stick with Celebrity and they feature E-Class ships where you want to sail exclusively with no other Celebrity options.  In that case you always have the option of sailing another cruise line if you really dislike E-Class.  It is your money and your choice.

• Like 2

So according to the newsletter I just received, the IV's are our fault, the passengers.  They stated in a survey that passengers only use their balcony 20% of the time (that seems like a decent amount of time to me) so they decided to maximize space somewhere else. Funny, I don't remember being asked.

• Like 1