Nieuw Amsterdam - where is your favorite place to hang out?

zentraveler

We are sailing at the end of June and we deliberately did something we have never done - booked an inside room. Ordinarily we book verandas, but at that time of the year it is light almost all night and we wanted a dark room for sleep. This means I will be spending more time outside our cabin reading or just watching the scenery. 

Where is your favorite spot to sit and quietly read? Is there a library or place to lounge that is relatively quiet. I am usually up early and go read the paper and have coffee until my spouse gets up. Have never been on this ship and it is a short cruise (7 days) and I thought I could ask this experienced crowd so I don't find some great spot on the last day :-).

If it’s nice out, I like to find a deck chair in a quiet spot on the Promenade. There are some nice places in the Crows Nest and Explorations Cafe but sometimes they get crowded. I’ve gone to the classical music venue (it isn’t usually used during the day) and find a seat by the window. Enjoy your cruise!

16 hours ago, zentraveler said:

Where is your favorite spot to sit and quietly read? Is there a library or place to lounge that is relatively quiet. I am usually up early and go read the paper and have coffee until my spouse gets up. 

I am up at 5 or 6 also.  The great struggle is find a place on the ship that does not have piped in music.  This is to me like second hand smoke.  I can tell you on the Rotterdam the library is/was music free.  

The Nieuw Amsterdam no longer has a decent library; it had been located in the Crow's Nest, but there are few (if any) books left.

If you are looking for a quiet place where you can read without noise, the promenade has loungers. You can see the sea so well from that height, too! Watch the pattern of the waves, and look for ocean creatures.

I am fond of sitting on the comfy chairs near the Lido Bar. Somehow the noise of the pool area becomes background din, and is unobtrusive. On a sunny day, especially with the dome open a bit, it can be very pleasant.
Close to food & drink, too!

2 hours ago, ew101 said:

I am up at 5 or 6 also.  The great struggle is find a place on the ship that does not have piped in music.  This is to me like second hand smoke.  I can tell you on the Rotterdam the library is/was music free.  

Good lord, is there Muzak playing everywhere??  The only ambient music I like is in Hawaii - I adore Hawaiian music (I know; peculiar) and enjoy walking through resorts where it is being played in the background. 

5 hours ago, zentraveler said:

Good lord, is there Muzak playing everywhere?? 

Almost. I've even had it assault me in a public restroom.
The best place to avoid it is out on the promenade, but only when the Walk for a Cause isn't being held. Then you could get blasted overboard from the noise.

4 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Almost. I've even had it assault me in a public restroom.
The best place to avoid it is out on the promenade, but only when the Walk for a Cause isn't being held. Then you could get blasted overboard from the noise.

I will keep an open mind but really hope I don't hate this. Probably will depend on what they are playing and at what volume. 

10 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

For us we love the silk den bar next to Tamarind!! Quiet great for relaxation and also the views! The drinks and appetizers you can purchase are good also! 

Denise😊🌺

And during the day it is mostly deserted with a great view over the mid-ships pool, comfortable seating, and a quiet venue for reflection, reading, napping😲.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

And during the day it is mostly deserted with a great view over the mid-ships pool, comfortable seating, and a quiet venue for reflection, reading, napping😲.

Exactly!! 4 Med cruises on her and that is our sanctuary 

Denise🌺😊

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 2:05 PM, Sharon in AZ said:

Crows Nest.  Also some nice areas near the Explorations Cafe nearby.  Crows Nest is my husband's favorite spot to read.  If I ever need to find him that is the first place I look. 

Gosh you may already be on your cruise.  We booked an inside cabin & HATED it.  It was the smallest inside cabin we have ever seen!!!  Luckily ship was not at capacity so we quickly went to front desk & got a cabin change to a partial obstructed Balcony for just $106 (this was an 18 day cruise).  The pictures on HAL website are NOT what the interior cabins look like.  They are much smaller.

17 minutes ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

Gosh you may already be on your cruise.  We booked an inside cabin & HATED it.  It was the smallest inside cabin we have ever seen!!!  Luckily ship was not at capacity so we quickly went to front desk & got a cabin change to a partial obstructed Balcony for just $106 (this was an 18 day cruise).  The pictures on HAL website are NOT what the interior cabins look like.  They are much smaller.

halfacts dot com is a great resource for cabin pics. Many of us have sent in pics to help others make informed choices. There is a huge difference in size between insides and you are right that pic on the HAL website is really not representative. Glad you got a nice upsell. 

Edited by fatcat04

On 5/25/2019 at 2:01 PM, zentraveler said:

We are sailing at the end of June and we deliberately did something we have never done - booked an inside room. Ordinarily we book verandas, but at that time of the year it is light almost all night and we wanted a dark room for sleep. This means I will be spending more time outside our cabin reading or just watching the scenery. 

Where is your favorite spot to sit and quietly read? Is there a library or place to lounge that is relatively quiet. I am usually up early and go read the paper and have coffee until my spouse gets up. Have never been on this ship and it is a short cruise (7 days) and I thought I could ask this experienced crowd so I don't find some great spot on the last day :-).

Favorite place to  hang out was definitely the Crow's Nest.  2nd - Poolside at main pool.  We would would go front - Starboard so that when they opened the canopy above pool we still had shade.  Starboard was opposite the Ping Pong tables & quieter.