Have you seen Rick Steves Med cruise show

dolittle

We just saw Rick Steves  Med cruise show last night (not sure if it is new).It is by far the best cruise show ever, great advice on Med cruises and cruising in general .Great tips on out of the way excursions and a lot of great views from the X eclipse .

I saw this and had to laugh. He trashed cruising for many years, dismissing it as a poor way to be a traveler. It was pretty good and he was quite positive about his experience.

Anything to make a buck I guess.......😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

I saw this and had to laugh. He trashed cruising for many years, dismissing it as a poor way to be a traveler. It was pretty good and he was quite positive about his experience.

Anything to make a buck I guess.......😄

Seriously? Rick has made no secret that he considers cruising to be a poor substitute for land based travel, and it's perfectly understandable if you have read his philosophy of travelling. And he points this out on the video. However he also understands that cruising is popular and there is a market for guidebooks and reliable DIY information for people who prefer to cruise. I see nothing wrong with seeing a niche market and identifying and filling a need within it.

• Like 5

On 5/26/2019 at 12:36 PM, mom says said:

Seriously? Rick has made no secret that he considers cruising to be a poor substitute for land based travel, and it's perfectly understandable if you have read his philosophy of travelling. And he points this out on the video. However he also understands that cruising is popular and there is a market for guidebooks and reliable DIY information for people who prefer to cruise. I see nothing wrong with seeing a niche market and identifying and filling a need within it.

Very serious.

Semantics really, the cruise video seems hypocritical to me, IMHO.

His philosophy of travel is narrow but glad to see he has broadened his perspective, even though it does give him financial gain. He is a businessman afterall.

Why would anyone take advice on a topic from someone who has historically said point blank that he does not like that topic (cruising)?

Safe cruising all!!

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Why would anyone take advice on a topic from someone who has historically said point blank that he does not like that topic (cruising)?

Gee, let me think.  Um, how about the information he provides is helpful for anyone who wants to avoid the overpriced, crowded, and rushed ship excursions and instead want to DIY their port visits 

And he doesn't say he does not like cruising. He simply feels that cruising does not afford the opportunity to really experience a place compared to a land visit, which allows for more time. A view that I agree with. But if you prefer to stick with ship excursions, then go for it. After all the ship isn't in it for financial gain.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mom says said:

Gee, let me think.  Um, how about the information he provides is helpful for anyone who wants to avoid the overpriced, crowded, and rushed ship excursions and instead want to DIY their port visits 

And he doesn't say he does not like cruising. He simply feels that cruising does not afford the opportunity to really experience a place compared to a land visit, which allows for more time. A view that I agree with. But if you prefer to stick with ship excursions, then go for it. After all the ship isn't in it for financial gain.

Agree to disagree.

He had previously point blank said he did not like cruising, just not on this video.

Your single point of saving money on shore excursions is not really a significant piece of advice especially if someone is a new cruiser. Much more information would be needed for the cruiser to know all of the things that go with doing that which he does not go into.

Secondly, the ship is absolutely in it for financial gain, it is a big business.

He is not an experienced cruiser so his advice is weak and based on no experience.

Seems like a superficial attempt at being a cruise travel advisor, or a money grab.

JMHO.

On 5/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, Cruisercl said:

Agree to disagree.

He had previously point blank said he did not like cruising, just not on this video.

Your single point of saving money on shore excursions is not really a significant piece of advice especially if someone is a new cruiser. Much more information would be needed for the cruiser to know all of the things that go with doing that which he does not go into.

Secondly, the ship is absolutely in it for financial gain, it is a big business.

He is not an experienced cruiser so his advice is weak and based on no experience.

Seems like a superficial attempt at being a cruise travel advisor, or a money grab.

JMHO.

He gives much helpful advice that makes it possible for folks to do things on their own without need for ship tours. Even for novices. 

Also, he took several cruises (was reported here in CC at the time) in preparation for each of his books targeting cruise travelers in Europe. (Plus, as he will freely admit, he works with local experts in each destination...)

• Like 1

I have not seen his Med Cruise show but I agree with Cruisemom42 in that Rick provides a lot of useful information - especially for the novice.

I have utilized his Europe app for his audio tours on several occasions as well as his books. I also utilize the DK Eyewitness Travel guides for my extended land tours.

I like Rick Steves, and have learned a lot from his program on public TV.  His episode featuring a Med cruise was balanced and realistic, in my opinion. I used a lot of the information from his episode on Amsterdam when I was there pre river cruise.  Don't understand the comment that his books and advice aren't useful or applicable to cruisers. 

Roz 

11 hours ago, Roz said:

I like Rick Steves, and have learned a lot from his program on public TV.  His episode featuring a Med cruise was balanced and realistic, in my opinion. I used a lot of the information from his episode on Amsterdam when I was there pre river cruise.  Don't understand the comment that his books and advice aren't useful or applicable to cruisers. 

Roz 

Agree. I know for instance we used his Scandanavia book to do a walking tour in Talinn, Estonia. It was so detailed that it told you how many steps to take. And we noticed others from our roll call walking there with the same book in hand.