Does Celebrity allow you to go directly to your cabin after embarkation?

clueless2

I have a different opinion.  I do respect the fact that the room stewards work hard to get all the rooms cleaned for the next cruise but I really don’t feel like I’m on vacation until I drop the bags in the room (need to be free of luggage to relax me).

And I look at trying to maximize the first day as I only get 7 days on the ship.

So I say the dinner the better.

2 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Let‘s keep in mind, that leaving passengers often stay until 8:00 - 9:00 and Stewards need to clean and prepare all cabins for the new passengers from that point.

We are trying very hard not to show up as soon as 13:00 because it puts additional stress on them. We usually take our carryons to the buffet and other places and show up at the stateroom at 15:00 or later.

As I understand it, the “getting into your cabin” is to drop the carry-ons (hopefully somewhere out of the way like the closet) before exploring the ship. Not to take full possession of the cabin at that time. (And in the case of at least the Edge you have to in order to have your card!)

2 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Let‘s keep in mind, that leaving passengers often stay until 8:00 - 9:00 and Stewards need to clean and prepare all cabins for the new passengers from that point.

We are trying very hard not to show up as soon as 13:00 because it puts additional stress on them. We usually take our carryons to the buffet and other places and show up at the stateroom at 15:00 or later.

One of the problems created was people going to the buffet and parking themselves  there with their carry ons until the cabins opened up. People coming later could not find seats to actually eat. We saw numerous families sitting in the buffet with the playing cards out just being rude.

• Like 3

I‘d rather skip the buffet because it‘s overcrowded by people with carryons then putting additional stress on the Stewards by showing up at 13:00 or earlier at the stateroom.

It may be our vacation, but it‘s their weekly work stress 

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 1

We are on the Millie in August (leaving from Vancouver) and this is our first cruise where the planner and other documentation says we can drop our bags in the room right when we board. I am bringing 2 carry on's this trip so not having to carry them will be great! We did our best to upload pictures for our sail passes but they were AWFUL even with my best attempts. 

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

So if your bag you dropped in the cabin were to disappear would you be upset?  Who would you blame?  They do leave the doors open at times when they are cleaning.

They do that every day. Do you worry about your stuff being stolen every day of the cruise?

We were able to drop off our carry-ons before lunch on our recent Millie cruise. It was well before 1:00 and our room was ready (but then we had a great cabin steward!)

8 minutes ago, late2cruisin said:

Ha! I'd give anything to look like my passport picture- it was a flattering photo and I was 8 years younger!

I am red in my picture. I got it done mid-summer and was burnt. I was also just about to finish college and much skinnier....

11 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

They do that every day. Do you worry about your stuff being stolen every day of the cruise?

We were able to drop off our carry-ons before lunch on our recent Millie cruise. It was well before 1:00 and our room was ready (but then we had a great cabin steward!)

In my experience, the first day the staff does not expect passengers walking through the halls or valuables to be in the rooms therefore more rooms are left open unattended on the first day before the all clear.   Turnaround time is busy and they really can't monitor the hallway. Other days they do watch more closely.  Additionally someone rolling out your bag is easier and quicker that coming in and searching for your stuff. 

But really it is a low risk to have your stuff taken, it's just that if were stolen, I'm not sure I would complain since I had taken the responciblity of putting it there.  Very much like if you leave a bag unattended anywhere.

Just something to consider.

On 6/2/2019 at 6:20 AM, Alakegirl said:

You should be able to go directly to your room because that ship (Summit) has been renovated.

Just curious, why would it make any difference if ship has or hasn't been renovated as to the cabins being accessible to drop of bags?? 

On 6/2/2019 at 7:39 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I wonder what will happen with the Equinox since it was only partly Revolutionized.

Then I guess you can only drop off part of your luggage!

With Edge you get your SeaPass card at your door.  Then you can enter your room, drop off your carry on and leave again.  The door is not propped open and you have the key.  

as the ships undergo their revolutions they are transitioning to that procedure on the other ships

5 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

In my experience, the first day the staff does not expect passengers walking through the halls or valuables to be in the rooms therefore more rooms are left open unattended on the first day before the all clear.   Turnaround time is busy and they really can't monitor the hallway. Other days they do watch more closely.  Additionally someone rolling out your bag is easier and quicker that coming in and searching for your stuff. 

But really it is a low risk to have your stuff taken, it's just that if were stolen, I'm not sure I would complain since I had taken the responciblity of putting it there.  Very much like if you leave a bag unattended anywhere.

Just something to consider.

A majority of people place their bags out in the hallway on the last night for collection.  How is that different?  Sometimes you just have to trust that things are going to be ok.  With the number of cameras on each ship, it would take a determined thief to pilfer luggage from staterooms and get away with it for long.

HAL usually lets people stay in their rooms on the morning of disembarkation and still manage to have rooms ready for arriving passengers to get in when they start boarding at 11:30am.  X should move to that type of system.  They already force you out of the room by 8am (versus as late as 9:30 on HAL).  There's really no reason why they couldn't turn things over much more quickly other than the will to do it.  It would just take a system and some coordination to get it done consistently.  

11 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

A majority of people place their bags out in the hallway on the last night for collection.  How is that different?  Sometimes you just have to trust that things are going to be ok.  With the number of cameras on each ship, it would take a determined thief to pilfer luggage from staterooms and get away with it for long.

I am referring to carry ons which may have valuables in the them which people should not leave outside the door.  Carryon bag vs. a checked bag content is usually different.

11 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

I am referring to carry ons which may have valuables in the them which people should not leave outside the door.  Carryon bag vs. a checked bag content is usually different.

If you have access to the closet, you have access to the safe, too.