unwrapped flatware in Windjammer!

Believe me, there was "pawing" going on! I wonder if Liberty is still doing this. It appears only ships in Asia typically do this, which is understandable about choice options.   Who believes that "everyone"" uses sanitizer before entering the WJ?!

4 minutes ago, 39august said:

Believe me, there was "pawing" going on! I wonder if Liberty is still doing this. It appears only ships in Asia typically do this, which is understandable about choice options.   Who believes that "everyone"" uses sanitizer before entering the WJ?!

I don't and it only takes one person to cause illness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 39august said:

On LB 2 weeks ago the flatware in the WJ was not wrapped in a rolled up napkin but left open in "buckets" for folks to paw over trying to find the correct utensil. So unsanitary! I spoke to the hotel director and the WJ manager. Manager said  they would go back to wrapping it next day. Didn't happen. Spoke to hotel director and she agreed with me that this was very unsanitary but said ship was ordered by Miami to stop wrapping flatware. Obviously a move to save money by eliminating a labor intensive task.  Made the WJ look like an elementary school cafeteria. Are other ships doing the same? Many of us on that cruise vowed we would note in our reviews how unsanitary this is. 

Near dessert area this is common, and most of time I Cruised on Royal none of the Silverware was ever wrapped. It's resent change, last 10yrs maybe. They even use to use Cafeteria Trays in WJ, actually miss that carrying my stuff to table

Edited by ONECRUISER

10 minutes ago, 39august said:

Ovation first trip to Alaska had signs all over the WJ informing guests not to grab food with bare hands, to use tongs.  I’d never seen that in WJ. Every food station had at least one sign.  Must be a regional thing. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

The dude lied to you.... That's what RCI management is best at! 🙄

WOW. How would anyone who was not there claim to know the legitimacy of what was actually said. Furthermore, how would anyone who doesn't work in the Miami facility know what specific instructions they gave to a specific ship's staff. 

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Ovation first trip to Alaska had signs all over the WJ informing guests not to grab food with bare hands, to use tongs.  I’d never seen that in WJ. Every food station had at least one sign.  Must be a regional thing. 

You think? I see people sticking their contaminated water bottles up the drink dispenser spout despite the No Fill sign staring right in front of them. Happened on every cruise.

26 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

You think? I see people sticking their contaminated water bottles up the drink dispenser spout despite the No Fill sign staring right in front of them. Happened on every cruise.

Unfortunately you are correct. 

The passenger contamination sins seen on a cruise ship are regular and not isolated to any specific ship or location.  We've seen people do all sorts of "sloppy & slobby" food  self-serving in Windjammer in Alaska, the Caribbean, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand. It's obvious some people think everything is set up exclusively just for them, and could care less about anyone else's well-being as far as cleanliness. UGH - the stuff we've seen (not even counting people sneezing and coughing right over the found counters. It's both disgusting and disturbing.

The ship's staff works hard to sustain people eating in a clean environment. But the added precautions including keeping an eye on food service counters, make sure you follow regular hand cleanings, inspect plates, glasses, and eating utensils...and then hope for the best.

I see it both ways, and both have been aptly described already by others.

Sometimes I JUST want a napkin or JUST want a fork, but have to grab the whole package.

But as also pointed out, soup spoons, deSSert forks and deSSert spoons have always been in bins for the plucking.

Yes, I see people touching flatware that they are  not then taking.  I have to remind myself each time to look carefully (which is usually difficult for me because of the height of the particular counter and my low vantage point) when I want something out of the dessert area - it's hard to see whether they are forks or spoons without lifting one out of the bin.  And then if it's the wrong one?   I don't want it, but I don't  want to put it back.  But I see many others just putting it back.

There is no one easy answer.

Well, actually there is.

EVERY ship needs to have washing stations at the entrance to the Windjammer, and they need to MONITOR them to be sure that EVERY person washes his/her hands before entering.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

EVERY ship needs to have washing stations at the entrance to the Windjammer, and they need to MONITOR them to be sure that EVERY person washes his/her hands before entering.

Yes indeed - that's indeed a great start. Unfortunately it is enforced maybe 80% of the time...with some people just plowing through without washing. But every bit helps reduce the risks.

Is the unwrapped silverware at the tables?  Where children can touch all 6 forks before choosing one?

Because that will lead to 500% more virus outbreaks.

Guess I will bring extra antibacterial wipes to the buffet and wipe my silverware down.

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I see it both ways, and both have been aptly described already by others.

Sometimes I JUST want a napkin or JUST want a fork, but have to grab the whole package.

But as also pointed out, soup spoons, deSSert forks and deSSert spoons have always been in bins for the plucking.

Yes, I see people touching flatware that they are  not then taking.  I have to remind myself each time to look carefully (which is usually difficult for me because of the height of the particular counter and my low vantage point) when I want something out of the dessert area - it's hard to see whether they are forks or spoons without lifting one out of the bin.  And then if it's the wrong one?   I don't want it, but I don't  want to put it back.  But I see many others just putting it back.

There is no one easy answer.

Well, actually there is.

We got off Independence on 5-28.

There was a band continually singing the wishy washy song to encourage people to wash their hands.

Personally I always give my cutlery a good wipe on my napkin before I use them.

Graham.

25 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Is the unwrapped silverware at the tables?  Where children can touch all 6 forks before choosing one?

Because that will lead to 500% more virus outbreaks.

Guess I will bring extra antibacterial wipes to the buffet and wipe my silverware down.

No.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We got off Independence on 5-28.

There was a band continually singing the wishy washy song to encourage people to wash their hands.

Personally I always give my cutlery a good wipe on my napkin before I use them.

Graham.

I love that song. It's also oddly tied in my mind to fun vacations.

Edited by Chadr135
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Flatware was not wrapped in Park Cafe on Harmony. This was a few weeks ago. 

M

I don't think that I ever see it wrapped outside of the Windjammer.  That means  every Park Cafe and every Solarium Cafe and every Cafe Promenade and every Sorrentos on every ship.

So this is an interesting conversation, isn't it?  😉

15 minutes ago, Artemus said:

What is “LB”

LIBERTY.  Liberty of the Seas

AD - Adventure

AL - Allure

AN - Anthem

BR - Brilliance

EN - Enchantment

EX - Explorer

FR - Freedom

GR - Grandeur

ID - Independence

HM - Harmony

JW - Jewel

LB - Liberty

MA - Mariner

MJ - Majesty

NE - Empress

NV - Navigator

OA - Oasis

OV - Ovation

RH - Rhapsody

RD - Radiance

SR - Serenade

SC - Spectrum

SY - Symphony

VI - Vision

VY - Voyager

1 minute ago, twangster said:

My bigger pet peeve in the WJ are people who use the tongs then drop the entire tong, handle and all, into the food.  

I can copy with that but I dislike when people use the same tongs for everything. I don't want to find onions in the tomatoes etc. 

22 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

LIBERTY.  Liberty of the Seas

AD - Adventure

AL - Allure

AN - Anthem

BR - Brilliance

EN - Enchantment

EX - Explorer

FR - Freedom

GR - Grandeur

ID - Independence

HM - Harmony

JW - Jewel

LB - Liberty

MA - Mariner

MJ - Majesty

NE - Empress

NV - Navigator

OA - Oasis

OV - Ovation

RH - Rhapsody

RD - Radiance

SR - Serenade

SC - Spectrum

SY - Symphony

VI - Vision

VY - Voyager

Thank you ‼️

26 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't think that I ever see it wrapped outside of the Windjammer.  That means  every Park Cafe and every Solarium Cafe and every Cafe Promenade and every Sorrentos on every ship.

So this is an interesting conversation, isn't it?  😉

You are correct and it is unhygienic too.It is only WJ that has the napkins wrapped around the cutlery.