Noumea - in the afternoon

49 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Don't tell anyone but Celebrity let me get back on Solstice at Dunedin a couple of months ago with a sealed pottle containing a dozen Bluff Oysters. We got some bread, butter and champagne from the buffet and had a lovely pre-dinner snack.

I remember when you posted that and now my mouth is watering again.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You didn't like that French white? 

But just because a wine is French doesn't mean it will automatically be good. 🤣 The are some very ordinary vin ordinaires in France. 🤣 But then again you can also get some very good wines at very cheap prices there. 

BTW be careful of one Australian wine supplier that sells imported wine by offering private tastings in your home. I was invited by a friend to one of those tastings a few years. Most of their wines were complete rubbish which they were trying to flog off at $25 a bottle. I laughed when I was offered a "French" wine made in Rudesheim in Germany. I think some of the grapes were grown in France though. No appellation of course.🤣

Oui, tres ordinaire.

We were travelling through France and stopped for lunch at the Chateau Chambord. We grabbed some Jambon and Fromage Baguettes and a bottle of wine from the local winery. Unfortunately we didn't have any glasses so we just shared the bottle around, it was very classy. 

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The main income for New Caledonia is financial support from France.

So True and the unemployment rate, particularly among the Kanaks is quite high.  With prices charged on the island we were not surprised to see so many what appeared to be unemployed and poor locals hanging around Noumea during our recent visit there.  One can only hope for a better outlook in the future but the city itself did not seem to go our of their way for tourism and enthusiasm for tourist to enjoy and spend money.

We went there 50 years ago and had a very different experience and after living in Port Moresby for the three years before our visit we were quite fond of the city with its distinctive French influence, which in the intervening years seems to have been replaced with concrete and quite plain looking homes and public building and shops.

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We were travelling through France and stopped for lunch at the Chateau Chambord. We grabbed some Jambon and Fromage Baguettes and a bottle of wine from the local winery. Unfortunately we didn't have any glasses so we just shared the bottle around, it was very classy. 

Sometimes you just need to do what you need to do 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I haven’t been to Europe for 25 years  but that’s what they like to do .Go to the park with a few bits and pieces and have lunch. Style.

I learned to ski in Innsbruck with a Austrian family.The father had a backpack full of schnitzel,cheese,bread,schnapps and beer.

We used to stop ,open it up on a nice place on the side of the mountain every couple of hours and have a break.

Better than going to KFin C

56 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I haven’t been to Europe for 25 years  but that’s what they like to do .Go to the park with a few bits and pieces and have lunch. Style.

I learned to ski in Innsbruck with a Austrian family.The father had a backpack full of schnitzel,cheese,bread,schnapps and beer.

We used to stop ,open it up on a nice place on the side of the mountain every couple of hours and have a break.

Better than going to KFin C

It was grand but now when we travel we are better prepared.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone, just thought I would report back and say a big thank you for all your suggestions.  Our visit to Noumea worked out perfectly.  We did the 'off the boat' snorkeling trip which was a bit difficult for us after 20 years of not snorkeling but we eventually, with the help of the operators, got our fins wet and managed to keep up with the much younger generation.  It was a great.

We arrived back to the port by about 11.30am-12 noon and managed a quick shower/change and a sandwich in the buffet and back on shore again.

We took the Hop On/Off bus to Lemon Bay and walked to Anse Vata Beach and then caught the bus back to the town to have a pastry at Les Petits Choux.  Very nice and very easily done all within the time limit allocated.  Cheers

1 hour ago, aussiebossyboots said:

Hi Everyone, just thought I would report back and say a big thank you for all your suggestions.  Our visit to Noumea worked out perfectly.  We did the 'off the boat' snorkeling trip which was a bit difficult for us after 20 years of not snorkeling but we eventually, with the help of the operators, got our fins wet and managed to keep up with the much younger generation.  It was a great.

We arrived back to the port by about 11.30am-12 noon and managed a quick shower/change and a sandwich in the buffet and back on shore again.

We took the Hop On/Off bus to Lemon Bay and walked to Anse Vata Beach and then caught the bus back to the town to have a pastry at Les Petits Choux.  Very nice and very easily done all within the time limit allocated.  Cheers

Happy to hear it all went well. Many cruisers seem to be ho-hum about Noumea but I've been there about four times now and always find something new or interesting to do.

We would be happy to return and do Amedee Island or Duck Island for easier snorkeling for our age group.  Looking at a Princess Cruise that goes to Fiji and also calls in at Lifou and Noumea.  We really enjoyed the snorkeling in Lifou.

Unfortunately we didn't get to the Isle of Pines due to weather/waves so that is also on the to do list.

Edited by aussiebossyboots
missing word

51 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Happy to hear it all went well. Many cruisers seem to be ho-hum about Noumea but I've been there about four times now and always find something new or interesting to do.

+1 for always finding something different each time.

We usually book with the same local guy who takes us off the beaten track to different places each time.

Much more to see than just the 'tourist traps'

On 7/22/2019 at 5:35 PM, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

+1 for always finding something different each time.

We usually book with the same local guy who takes us off the beaten track to different places each time.

Much more to see than just the 'tourist traps'

Not Fredric; from noumea turtle tours???

Hi Aussiebossyboots,

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm in the same conundrum, we are going to do the snorkelling tour in the morning and then trying to plan for the afternoon, I think we may look at doing a private tour. Anyway I wanted to ask how you how the snorkelling went? How long did you have in the water and was it worth the expense?

Hi Makawe

The morning snorkel worked very well and gave us plenty of time to change/eat and spend the afternoon on the Hop On/Off bus which was 1000 francs per person.

To be honest, this was our first snorkel in 20 years and we had a few issues getting into the water and getting started so we were at the back of the group of snorkelers so the water wasn't very clear and in comparison to the rest of the group we didn't see as much as, particularly me as I was struggling a bit to swim against the current:classic_sad: and my husband was more concerned about me that seeing the little fishes.  The current was quite strong (for me) so when I first dropped into the water I drifted away from the boat and panicked.  We did manage to see quite a few fish and a turtle.  The others on the excursion were absolutely 100% thrilled with the trip.

The organization of the trip was excellent, they provide all the gear so no need to take anything, just wear your swim suit.  In fact, if you use their gear, you can just rinse off (they have fresh water available) change into your clothes and go off the boat for your afternoon walk without returning to the ship.  Our group was broken up into two groups and because we took our own gear they thought we were all OK.  I would certainly recommend the trip if you are good snorkelers.  However, we did have a couple of younger children and some teenagers who seemed to manage quite well.

It was a professionally organized trip.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, aussiebossyboots said:

good work, glad it worked out for you and you had an enjoyable day.

5 hours ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

Cheers .... check him out via YouTube as well ....

what you see is what you get

If you can see if you can swing it that Fernando is the tour guide ....

Will investigate this as an option.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 5:41 PM, aussiebossyboots said:

Hi Makawe

The morning snorkel worked very well and gave us plenty of time to change/eat and spend the afternoon on the Hop On/Off bus which was 1000 francs per person.

To be honest, this was our first snorkel in 20 years and we had a few issues getting into the water and getting started so we were at the back of the group of snorkelers so the water wasn't very clear and in comparison to the rest of the group we didn't see as much as, particularly me as I was struggling a bit to swim against the current:classic_sad: and my husband was more concerned about me that seeing the little fishes.  The current was quite strong (for me) so when I first dropped into the water I drifted away from the boat and panicked.  We did manage to see quite a few fish and a turtle.  The others on the excursion were absolutely 100% thrilled with the trip.

The organization of the trip was excellent, they provide all the gear so no need to take anything, just wear your swim suit.  In fact, if you use their gear, you can just rinse off (they have fresh water available) change into your clothes and go off the boat for your afternoon walk without returning to the ship.  Our group was broken up into two groups and because we took our own gear they thought we were all OK.  I would certainly recommend the trip if you are good snorkelers.  However, we did have a couple of younger children and some teenagers who seemed to manage quite well.

It was a professionally organized trip.

Can you tell me about the weather? I will be headed there next July and I am wondering what air and water temps would be like. I am from Florida so temps below 70f are chilly to me but this is a once in a lifetime cruise across the world for me so I am going no matter what but I want to be prepared.

Thanks 

5 hours ago, vtoria98 said:

Can you tell me about the weather? I will be headed there next July and I am wondering what air and water temps would be like. I am from Florida so temps below 70f are chilly to me but this is a once in a lifetime cruise across the world for me so I am going no matter what but I want to be prepared.

Thanks 

Have a look at this link, it may help - 

https://www.seatemperature.org/australia-pacific/new-caledonia/noumea-july.htm

Leigh

Edited by possum52