Amsterdam

richwmn

45 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

What is the cost of the HoHo bus?

Here's the link to the Homer Trolley (HoHo) - it's $15 pp.  http://www.homertrolley.com/

The two times we've been previously, the shuttle from the ship drops off and picks up passengers out on The Spit.  https://www.homeralaska.org/the-homer-spit.html

33 minutes ago, zelker said:

Here's the link to the Homer Trolley (HoHo) - it's $15 pp.  http://www.homertrolley.com/

The two times we've been previously, the shuttle from the ship drops off and picks up passengers out on The Spit.  https://www.homeralaska.org/the-homer-spit.html

Great information - THANKS!!

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

What is the cost of the HoHo bus?

The HOHO bus was a HAL excursion and was $19.95. I didn't book it in advance, and they took my Cabin number and name on shore and it was posted to my account later that day.

The HAL HOHO bus picks you up right at the "Visitor Center" and drops you back there, rather than after the other shuttle.

Edited by richwmn

Good Morning,
Today is Kodiak, Alaska. We arrive at 7:00am and all aboard is 1:30pm
Entertainment tonight:
Ocean Bar:
Returns Tomorrow
Piano Bar:
Wally B entertains from 7:45 until closing
Explorers's Lounge:
Performs at 3:00, 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30
Main Stage:
Nick Diffatte, another comedian
Movie:
Bears
Today's movies on the TV
Ch35: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
Ch36: Hes Just Not That Into You
Ch37: On the Basis of Sex
Happy Hour:
4:00 - 5:00 in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest,
9:45 - 10:45 in the Ocean Bar, 10:00 - 11:00 in the Crow's Nest
over the course of the day - Scattagories, Pickleball, Ping Pong, Party
Bridge, Mahjong and more

• Like 1

Speaking of Kodiak (a great place, by the way), some of you may be interested in checking out the arts and crafts market that is held any day the ship is in port.  It's called the Kodiak Bear Town Market and is a great way to support some of the local artisans as well as pick up true "Made in Alaska" souvenirs.  

Although there isn't a dedicated website, here's info from their Facebook page and also from AFAR -

https://www.facebook.com/Kodiak-BearTown-Art-Crafts-Market-208983385873075/

https://www.afar.com/places/kodiak-beartown-market-kodiak

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Maybe it's the crew.

That I TOTALLY get as it's a great opportunity for them to get essential supplies, but I have been on numerous cruises where the passengers are chomping at the bit to take the free shuttle to WalMart  ...... I have just never understood that.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

19 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Why would anyone take a cruise anywhere just to go to WalMart???????  This I have NEVER understood!

Doubt anyone takes a cruise "just to go to Walmart" … probably mainly crew but have you ever considered that it's possible someone needs to get something that's not available on the ship?  I know we have (as an example, when we ran out of a specific cough syrup that we knew was available at Walmart but not onboard).

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

Doubt anyone takes a cruise "just to go to Walmart" … probably mainly crew but have you ever considered that it's possible someone needs to get something that's not available on the ship?  I know we have (as an example, when we ran out of a specific cough syrup that we knew was available at Walmart but not onboard).

While that may hold true, and certainly there are cases where a run to a Big Box or Pharmacy may be essential, I have been on several cruises where I have overheard MULTIPLE groups passengers talking about taking the shuttle to WalMart.  My assumption was they wanted to buy destination specific souvenirs and felt that they could save a few pennies by supporting a corporate Megalith like WalMart vs. buying from and supporting, a local vendor/merchant (even though the stuff all comes from the same factories).  Just my observation .....

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Speaking of Kodiak (a great place, by the way), some of you may be interested in checking out the arts and crafts market that is held any day the ship is in port.  It's called the Kodiak Bear Town Market and is a great way to support some of the local artisans as well as pick up true "Made in Alaska" souvenirs.  

Although there isn't a dedicated website, here's info from their Facebook page and also from AFAR -

https://www.facebook.com/Kodiak-BearTown-Art-Crafts-Market-208983385873075/

https://www.afar.com/places/kodiak-beartown-market-kodiak

Thank you for the Kodiak Bear Town craft market info.  I messaged them on facebook and asked if they were still open on Sept. 18 when we will be there.  They answered quickly that yes they were.  We enjoy local markets and visiting with the locals there.  Looking forward to this stop.

We have also booked a tour with memorymakers that is 3 hours starting at 8 am rain or shine.  We take a quick overview of town, go to Pillar mountain, Fort Abercrombie state historical park, and if we are lucky see some wildlife.  Will leave us time to visit the craft market.

Should be a great stop.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

Thank you for the Kodiak Bear Town craft market info.  I messaged them on facebook and asked if they were still open on Sept. 18 when we will be there.  They answered quickly that yes they were.  We enjoy local markets and visiting with the locals there.  Looking forward to this stop.

We have also booked a tour with memorymakers that is 3 hours starting at 8 am rain or shine.  We take a quick overview of town, go to Pillar mountain, Fort Abercrombie state historical park, and if we are lucky see some wildlife.  Will leave us time to visit the craft market.

Should be a great stop.

You're welcome.  I'm looking forward to the Bear Town Market myself.  Also, on our first visit to Kodiak in 2010,  four of us spent most of the day fishing and sightseeing with Dake (Memory Makers) … he is great and I'm sure you'll enjoy your tour!

We were sick over our Christmas cruise.. went to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta!! Shopped for crew and other people that needed "emergency" things.. was just across from the dock.. was no big deal.. took a total of 30 minutes.. walked back and met everyone on the dock and the party began! Would I do it again?? You bet,  if I needed something that I could not get on the ship!! Don't judge!

1 hour ago, zelker said:

You're welcome.  I'm looking forward to the Bear Town Market myself.  Also, on our first visit to Kodiak in 2010,  four of us spent most of the day fishing and sightseeing with Dake (Memory Makers) … he is great and I'm sure you'll enjoy your tour!

Dake comes with great reviews.  We were the last 2 to join his tour of 6 people.  Was glad I found it.  Thanks for your reply.  

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

The HOHO bus was a HAL excursion and was $19.95. I didn't book it in advance, and they took my Cabin number and name on shore and it was posted to my account later that day.

The HAL HOHO bus picks you up right at the "Visitor Center" and drops you back there, rather than after the other shuttle.

A bit confused - where is the visitor center?

4 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

A bit confused - where is the visitor center?

For lack of a better term, I used Visitor Center as a reference to the place where the pier ends That is where the HAL excursions start, and also the shuttle to the area with shopping, restaurants, and bars. This is also where people from town were to advise what was available. Got a better term?

21 minutes ago, richwmn said:

For lack of a better term, I used Visitor Center as a reference to the place where the pier ends That is where the HAL excursions start, and also the shuttle to the area with shopping, restaurants, and bars. This is also where people from town were to advise what was available. Got a better term?

Thanks, Now I understand.  So basically, you can pay $5 more for the HAL HoHo bus and get to pick it up at the end of the pier rather than taking the shuttle to pick it up at the Spit.

57 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Thanks, Now I understand.  So basically, you can pay $5 more for the HAL HoHo bus and get to pick it up at the end of the pier rather than taking the shuttle to pick it up at the Spit.

Correct. In addition, the trolley might be more comfortable than the school bus which seemed to be for K-7 students (at least the one I was on). At a glance, the routes look similar.

Edited by richwmn