Amsterdam

richwmn

What great photos! They are making me so excited for doing this same cruise soon!  So glad you had such clear weather for the glacier.  That's always my favorite day on an Alaska cruise. I get sad as we sail out of the bay! :(. But there is so much more to come on your wonderful cruise. Thanks SO much for this thread!

On 6/13/2019 at 6:43 AM, terrydtx said:

When we visited Maui for a week, the locals recommended Walmart for buying things like Hawaiian shirts, T Shirts, beach towels and other souvenirs. We found the same products sold at local tourist traps for half the price at Walmart. Walmart had a complete department for just Hawaiian theme products and it was packed.

On one of our Hawaii cruises several years back we were advised of the same thing,  The person was a very large man.

Good Morning,
Today we are in Sitka, Alaska from 8:00am to 3:30pm
Entertainment tonight:
Ocean Bar:
The Ocean Trio plays at 4:30, 6:00, 7:45, and 9:45
Piano Bar:
Returns Tomorrow
Explorers's Lounge:
Adagio will perform at 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30
Main Stage:
Jesse Kazemek - A Tribute to the Beatles
Movie:
The Upside
Today's movies on the TV
Ch35: Justice League
Ch36: The Old Man and the Gun
Ch37: Artic
Happy Hour:
4:00 - 5:00 in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest,
9:45 - 10:45 in the Ocean Bar, 10:00 - 11:00 in the Crow's Nest
over the course of the day - Scattagories, Pickleball, Ping Pong, Party
Bridge, Mahjong and more

TowelAnimal20190613.jpg

W&W20190614A.jpg

W&W20190614B.jpg

Edited by richwmn

13 hours ago, richwmn said:

I talked to the bartender in the Crows Nest, which right now is still a real bar, and was told that only alcoholic beverages count toward the 15 beverage limits. Please remember that the bar manager might change between now and your cruise, so that might change.

Thanks for that bit of detective work 😁  It's sad that we even have to ask about such things (there should be one standard way of doing things fleetwide), and yes I am all too well aware that it seems to be at the whim of the bar manager currently onboard as to how the program is administered.

Enjoying all the great photos of Hubbard Glacier - looks like y'all got some amazing weather!!!!!

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Every time I hear of Sitka I think about “The Proposal”.  Such a great movie.

I just found it for free on Xfinity OnDemand.  Haven't watched it in a few years so thanks for mentioning it (even though we all know it was filmed in Massachusetts 🙃).  

Also want to re-watch North to Alaska before we head up.  A classic!

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, richwmn said:

As of now I have not received a tote. Earlier in the cruise I asked my Cabin Steward and he said he didn't know why.

Thanks, others have said that they didn't get them, so it looks like they may have stopped.

Would someone currently onboard do me a favor and check to see if Canaletto is now $19 pp (was $15 pp) and Pinnacle Grill is now $39 pp (was $35), please?  I was just on our reservation for the 7-29 cruise and much to my surprise, those higher prices are what I now see vs probably less than a month ago when I last looked and they were still $15 and $35, respectively.  Thanks. 

Good Morning,
Today we are at sea, heading for Victoria, BC, Canada
Entertainment tonight:
Ocean Bar:
The Ocean Trio plays at 4:30, 6:00, 7:45, and 9:45
Piano Bar:
Wally B plays from 7:45 till close
Explorers's Lounge:
Adagio will perform at 3:00, 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30
Main Stage:
Rockin Roadhouse - Amsterdam Singers and Dancers
Movie:
Bohemian Rhapsody
Today's movies on the TV
Ch35: Mission Impossible: Fallout
Ch36: The Upside
Ch37: First Man
Happy Hour:
4:00 - 5:00 in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest,
9:45 - 10:45 in the Ocean Bar, 10:00 - 11:00 in the Crow's Nest
Orange Party
Starting at 10:00 in the Crow's Nest (along with Happy Hour)
over the course of the day - Scattagories, Pickleball, Ping Pong, Party
Bridge, Mahjong and more

TowelAnimal20190614.jpg

W&W20190615A.jpg

W&W20190615B.jpg

4 minutes ago, zelker said:

Would someone currently onboard do me a favor and check to see if Canaletto is now $19 pp (was $15 pp) and Pinnacle Grill is now $39 pp (was $35), please?  I was just on our reservation for the 7-29 cruise and much to my surprise, those higher prices are what I now see vs probably less than a month ago when I last looked and they were still $15 and $35, respectively.  Thanks. 

I just checked my cruise Planner, as I too am on the 7/29 cruise - it indeed shows Canaletto $19, Pinnacle $39 and Rudi's Sel de Mer at $49 - looks like Canaletto and Pinnacle have undergone an unannounced price increase in the last few days.  

14 minutes ago, zelker said:

8 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I just checked my cruise Planner, as I too am on the 7/29 cruise - it indeed shows Canaletto $19, Pinnacle $39 and Rudi's Sel de Mer at $49 - looks like Canaletto and Pinnacle have undergone an unannounced price increase in the last few days.  

I just checked our next cruises in the fall (Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam) and they have the same increased prices.  Strangely (but good) the Tamarind is still $25. 

21 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I just checked our next cruises in the fall (Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam) and they have the same increased prices.  Strangely (but good) the Tamarind is still $25. 

Just checked Noordam in October and it now shows the higher prices too.  Too far out to check a March 2020 cruise but suspect it will be the same.  😞 

A Note on last night's entertainment.

In the What & Where, it lists Jesse Kazemek, A tribute to the Beatles.

What you get is a very good, high energy show that begins before he takes the stage. For at least 20 minutes before showtime, the screens are showing trivia tidbits about the Beatles. When Jesse takes the stage, the show is pretty much non stop for the next 45 minutes or so. Mostly he is playing 3 or 4 song medleys, but he does perform several full songs. At three times during the show his wife Colleen joins him on stage to sing a song. Both are very good vocalists had show a passion for the Beatles. They also work very well with each other.

If you see this act on your program, go by and see them. They will be on Amsterdam for the first week of the next cruise, then will transfer to Maasdam until July 5th, then back on Amsterdam until July 22nd. It is a very fun show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Brought to us by The nickels and dimes Cruise line.

I for one am fine with this one, increasing prices on optional upgrades will help keep base fares as low as possible. As most people on this board, we have been cruising for many years, and the base price for most cabin categories are about the same as they were almost 30 years or so ago. I appreciate the fact, the we can chose to upgrade our experiences onboard or not depending on our wants or budgets.  I believe small increases are the fairest way to increase revenue from those that use that amenity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

What you get is a very good, high energy show that begins before he takes the stage. For at least 20 minutes before showtime, the screens are showing trivia tidbits about the Beatles. When Jesse takes the stage, the show is pretty much non stop for the next 45 minutes or so. Mostly he is playing 3 or 4 song medleys, but he does perform several full songs. At three times during the show his wife Colleen joins him on stage to sing a song. Both are very good vocalists had show a passion for the Beatles. They also work very well with each other.

If you see this act on your program, go by and see them. They will be on Amsterdam for the first week of the next cruise, then will transfer to Maasdam until July 5th, then back on Amsterdam until July 22nd. It is a very fun show.

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate you posting about the various acts on stage, by name, and giving some info about the show, in case we run into them. Which, as a matter of fact, it seems I will! Based on what you posted, they will be entertaining on my Maasdam cruise!

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

This is a show I would want to see.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I don't know about the Amsterdam, but we definitely had totes the first week of June on the Westerdam...

Still haven't received one on Amsterdam, I haven't asked again.

Tonight is again Gala Night.

Here is the menu for the MDR.

15JuneDinner.pdf

Edited by richwmn