Amsterdam

richwmn

1 hour ago, JudithLynne said:

How does one get to the  Kodiak Bear Town Market from the ship?  Is it walkable to get there or do you need to take the shuttle (school) bus.  I tried a search for maps and could find nothing.

I copied this from their face book page.  Shouldn't bee too hard to find.  May have to take a shuttle from ship to end of pier??  

BearTown is back this week, welcoming Holland America Line to our lovely Kodiak, Alaska island!

🛳 Wednesday, June 12th
☀️ 8 am - 2 pm 
🛳 Kodiak Harbor Convention Center

BearTown Market, right across from our downtown harbor, has a beautiful variety of handmade and homemade goods, skillfully made & embraced in Kodiak Island culture.

Hope to see tourists and locals alike!

#kodiakbeartownmarket #supportlocal

I just realized that I haven't posted tonight's menu yet, so here it is.

Now for tonight's entertainment.

On the Main Stage was Nick Diffatte. The What & Where listed him as a comedian, and in truth his show was funny. But he also does some tricks that would be considered magic, the set up of which takes a bit of time away from his comedy. The show was fun and of course had some audience participation.

I did have a chance to talk to Nick last night for a few minutes, and he is a very nice young man. I wish him well in the future.

12JuneDinner.pdf

16 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

That I TOTALLY get as it's a great opportunity for them to get essential supplies, but I have been on numerous cruises where the passengers are chomping at the bit to take the free shuttle to WalMart  ...... I have just never understood that.

When we visited Maui for a week, the locals recommended Walmart for buying things like Hawaiian shirts, T Shirts, beach towels and other souvenirs. We found the same products sold at local tourist traps for half the price at Walmart. Walmart had a complete department for just Hawaiian theme products and it was packed.

14 hours ago, highland cruiser said:

Just a heads up... about 4 years ago we went to the "flea market" in Kodiak,, There was a woman selling really nice embroidered t-shirts. I ordered one, and paid for it. She told me it would be about 2 weeks as she had to order more t-shirts. I wanted a pink one. After 3 weeks and not receiving my t-shirt,  I emailed her. She did not answer me. I emailed her every week for 6 weeks. Finally frustrated, I called and emailed the BBB in Kodiak, explaining the situation. A miracle occurred! I got an email from the lady stating my t-shirt would be mailed out that week! I did get the t-shirt and loved it! Thanks to the BBB! Would I buy again and have something shipped later?? I am not truthfully sure!

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

When we visited Maui for a week, the locals recommended Walmart for buying things like Hawaiian shirts, T Shirts, beach towels and other souvenirs. We found the same products sold at local tourist traps for half the price at Walmart. Walmart had a complete department for just Hawaiian theme products and it was packed.

Same here but in Honolulu.  Much better t-shirts for half the price!  And a great selection (at Walmart).

Edited by DaveOKC

Good Morning,
Scenic Cruising of Hubbard Glacier is our goal today!
Entertainment tonight:
Ocean Bar:
The Ocean Trio plays at 4:30, 6:00, 7:45, and 9:45
Piano Bar:
Wally B entertains from 7:45 until closing
Explorers's Lounge:
Returns tomorrow
Main Stage:
Planet Earth II In Concert
Movie:
The Old Man and the Gun
Today's movies on the TV
Ch35: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Ch36: Holmes and Watson
Ch37: Disney Nature: Bears
Happy Hour:
4:00 - 5:00 in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest,
9:45 - 10:45 in the Ocean Bar, 10:00 - 11:00 in the Crow's Nest
over the course of the day - Scattagories, Pickleball, Ping Pong, Party
Bridge, Mahjong and more

TowelAnimal20190612.jpg

W&W20190613A.jpg

W&W20190613B.jpg

Rich.  I hope you can get close enough to Hubbard's Glacier to view some fabulous calving.

As I read your program, I see Mass is celebrated at 5PM each evening.  This surprised me because it used to be Celbrated at 8 AM when theship is at sea.  I wonder if this is a system wide change.

Edited by Himself

20 minutes ago, Himself said:

As I read your program, I see Mass is celebrated at 5PM each evening.  This surprised me because it used to be Celbrated at 8 AM when theship is at sea.  I wonder if this is a system wide change.

I just looked back at the actual programs and you are correct, Mass is scheduled for 5pm each day. Is it possible that this is a choice of the particular clergy involved?

16 minutes ago, zelker said:

Anxious to hear report(s) of anyone who either did the catamaran excursion to Hubbard or observed it from the ship and could tell if it got closer to the glacier.

I have not done this excursion but have observed it from the ship, and it definitely goes a lot closer to the glacier than the ship.  I am going again in August and thought about finally, on my 10th visit to Hubbard, taking the small boat excursion, but decided that over $250 each for just 2 hours is a little steep, especially considering the weather is never definitely gorgeous, so I'm going to love Hubbard from the bow again, as I do every year.  That said, people do love this excursion and rave about it... if the price sounds right to you, why not go ahead?

12 minutes ago, Moriah said:

I have not done this excursion but have observed it from the ship, and it definitely goes a lot closer to the glacier than the ship.  I am going again in August and thought about finally, on my 10th visit to Hubbard, taking the small boat excursion, but decided that over $250 each for just 2 hours is a little steep, especially considering the weather is never definitely gorgeous, so I'm going to love Hubbard from the bow again, as I do every year.  That said, people do love this excursion and rave about it... if the price sounds right to you, why not go ahead?

This will be our third visit to Hubbard.  We booked it and am watching a couple of threads on the Alaska board to see what others are reporting since this one is brand new this season through Allen Marine's new boat.  No telling if it will get as close as other boats you may have observed in years past.  Thanks for weighing in though.  We have until the end of July to decide if we want to cancel. 

Edited by zelker

2 hours ago, klsmickey said:

Has anyone purchased the ships internet? If so, how has it been performing?  Thank you

I have the middle package and it has been quite good for the entire cruise.

Thanks again for all the great information and photos you are providing, it is invaluable for those of us cruising later this season.

Can you please inquire and see how the ships bar staff are currently interpreting the terms of the SBP (Signature Beverage Package)?  Are they using the mindset of 15 alcoholic beverages and unlimited non-alcoholic, or are ALL beverages being counted towards the 15?

Much appreciated for any information you can supply!

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Can you please inquire and see how the ships bar staff are currently interpreting the terms of the SBP (Signature Beverage Package)?  Are they using the mindset of 15 alcoholic beverages and unlimited non-alcoholic, or are ALL beverages being counted towards the 15?

I talked to the bartender in the Crows Nest, which right now is still a real bar, and was told that only alcoholic beverages count toward the 15 beverage limits. Please remember that the bar manager might change between now and your cruise, so that might change.

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Still lots of ice but looks like a definite improvemaent in the weather since yesterday in Kodiak.  Did you see the catamaran shore excursion go out today?

Sorry, I did not see the catamaran at all, so I can't answer your question about how close they got.

2 hours ago, cruises42 said:

People have been talking about totes that have been given out in the past. Did you get one?

As of now I have not received a tote. Earlier in the cruise I asked my Cabin Steward and he said he didn't know why.

Here are pics that my husband took on August 9, 2012 of Hubbard Glacier falling . Not sure I would have liked to be any closer than we were on the ship.. this was magnificent! I kept telling him that the entire face was going to fall.... and it did!! It will not let me.. or I do not  know how to post the video on here.. so here is the link.. I had posted it to youtube for friends and family,.Enjoy!!! ( maybe the video is here????? )

• Like 2