can i leave toiletries at home

gillyg

Hi apologies if this has been answered previously, but hoping someone who has been on QV recently can answer my question. 

What is provided in a Britannia category cabin in terms of shampoo conditioner etc? 

Any cotton buds?

Also, would appreciate a ladies view of the hairdryer. I always take my own as my experience on other lines is not a good one. Hairdryers are usually slow and cumbersome to use.

41 minutes ago, gillyg said:

Hi apologies if this has been answered previously, but hoping someone who has been on QV recently can answer my question. 

What is provided in a Britannia category cabin in terms of shampoo conditioner etc? 

Any cotton buds?

Also, would appreciate a ladies view of the hairdryer. I always take my own as my experience on other lines is not a good one. Hairdryers are usually slow and cumbersome to use.

Not a Ladies view, but that of a Husband with a Wife who is particular

Whatever grade of Britannia Stateroom, the room is supplied with:

Dressing Gowns

Slippers

Shower gel

Shampoo (not for coloured hair)

Conditioner

Showercap

Hand-soaps

A jar with Cotton Buds/Cotton wool

Hairdryer (light and powerful with heat settings)

Tea/coffee/kettle/creamer/biscuits tray

Ice bucket and ice - Daily - you select the time required for repleshment.

Drinks and nibble selection in refrigerator (payable)

Sewing kits are with GS or ask your stateroom attendant 

If you require anything else just ask your stateroom attendant

Welcome to Cunard, there may be no "going back".

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Not a Ladies view, but that of a Husband with a Wife who is particular

Whatever grade of stateroom, the room is supplied with:

Dressing Gowns

Slippers

Shower gel

Shampoo (not for coloured hair)

Conditioner

Showercap

Hand-soaps

A jar with Cotton Buds/Cotton wool

Hairdryer (light and powerful with heat settings)

Tea/coffee/kettle/creamer/biscuits tray

Drinks and nibble selection in refrigerator (payable)

Sewing kits are with GS or ask your stateroom attendant 

If you require anything else just ask your stateroom attendant

Welcome to Cunard, there may be will "going back".

thanks for that really useful list. As your lovely wife is 'particular' - your words ha ha, does she like/use the toiletries provided?

6 minutes ago, gillyg said:

thanks for that really useful list. As your lovely wife is 'particular' - your words ha ha, does she like/use the toiletries provided?

Yes, but not the shampoo or conditioner as they are not specifically for the care of multi-coloured hair.

Toiletries Brand

https://www.penhaligons.com/quercus/

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Brand click on

5 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

We've had no problem with requesting twice daily ice replenishment.

Don't forget the French sparkling wine! 🙂

(Do they still give half bottles? Ever since our fist Cunard voyage we've been given a full bottle.)

6 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

We've had no problem with requesting twice daily ice replenishment.

Don't forget the French sparkling wine! 🙂

(Do they still give half bottles? Ever since our fist Cunard voyage we've been given a full bottle.)

Wine - Complete with Ice Bucket and ice

No knowledge of half bottles, like you only full bottles of Pol Acker

However if you are very particular about toiletries, special products or labels, I recommend that you bring your own.  For instance, we bring our own shampoos and conditioners.

• Like 2

Like the other two guys above, I too take along my own preferred products ( and a hairdryer )

For anything longer than an overnight stop , I wouldn't dream of using any of these products we find in hotels or onboard ships.

Whilst some of these products  do have premium labels, this is misleading, they are made for the hospitality industry and product is less superior than their original brand.   

7 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Like the other two guys above, I too take along my own preferred products ( and a hairdryer )

For anything longer than an overnight stop , I wouldn't dream of using any of these products we find in hotels or onboard ships.

Whilst some of these products  do have premium labels, this is misleading, they are made for the hospitality industry and product is less superior than their original brand.   

I am not doubting you, but am mystified as to why a brand such as Penhaligon's with a longstanding reputation would risk losing it by producing a lesser product.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I am not doubting you, but am mystified as to why a brand such as Penhaligon's with a longstanding reputation would risk losing it by producing a lesser product.

They do the job for a couple of days, (  I agree they are a Penhaligon product)   but you  really wouldn't want to rely on the hospitality brand, I'd prefer to buy/use the proper product. 

30 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

They do the job for a couple of days, (  I agree they are a Penhaligon product)   but you  really wouldn't want to rely on the hospitality brand, I'd prefer to buy/use the proper product. 

What's the difference between the hospitality brand and the proper product (apart from bottle size) ?

15 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

What's the difference between the hospitality brand and the proper product (apart from bottle size) ?

Shampoo's fine. It's shampoo and it cleans hair although on a sunny cruise, I do take some toner with me, decanted into a smaller container. Conditioner is ''thin'' and so is the body lotion. 

Hair dryer is fine and I have below shoulder length hair.

51 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Answer  can be found in post 9 .  Less superior , in other words not the full strength.

12 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Can you provide a source for this iformation?  

I have heard that manufacturers of those “premium products” provide them at lower cost to the hospitality industry in the expectation that  exposure to the product would encourage retail sales.   This would hardly be the case if what was provided was sub-standard.   And, in fact, I hardly think any quality provider would want to put out substandard samples for ANY reason.

I think your contention might simply be urban myth. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I've never had a problem with any of the toiletries on cruise ships (or 4* + hotels).  I'd never dream of taking my own when reasonable ones are freely available : )

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

I take my own hairdryer as have long hair, and the one supplied in the cabin is neither powerful nor hot enough.  Nothing wrong with the toiletries supplied, but am fussy about shampoo, conditioner, product etc, so take my own.

+1

I think it all depends on tolerance for hair products. I have found most hotels and ship products don't work for me but my husband is happy to use them. 

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Can you provide a source for this iformation?  

I have heard that manufacturers of those “premium products” provide them at lower cost to the hospitality industry in the expectation that  exposure to the product would encourage retail sales.   This would hardly be the case if what was provided was sub-standard.   And, in fact, I hardly think any quality provider would want to put out substandard samples for ANY reason.

I think your contention might simply be urban myth. 

I'm not here to extend this thread or to get into any disagreements with other the posters on this board,  I've already made my comment  (incidentally I'm from a family of hoteliers) 

I love the Penhaligons toiletries provided, plus they come in very cute shaped bottles (sad, I know).  I have very fine hair and find that the shampoo and conditioner work well for me.  The body lotion is a bit thin, so it’s worth taking your own favourite brand to supplement the ones in the cabin, or buy some on board to save luggage space - all the top brands of product are sold in the beauty shop and the spa. The fragrance is Penhaligons unisex Quercus, and I love the smell so much that, after our first Cunard cruise, I treated myself to their shampoo (£19 for 300ml) and body wash (£32 for 300ml); they aren’t cheap products.  I couldn’t detect any difference in the smell of the Cunard products and the products I bought from the Penhaligons shop.  We’re on QM2 in a couple of weeks and I’m looking forward to that lovely smell again!

• Like 1