Cancelled Cuba Cruise - No Problem

Djptcp

After receiving HAL's instructions last night regarding our Veendam Authentic Cuba cruise, I called right at 8am this morning (eastern) and the agent said I was the first one to call and they were ready for the many calls to start coming. It's a special 800 number just for the Cuba cruises. The cancellation went smoothly and I told her we had a Nieuw Statendam cruise booked already for Dec. 1st so we'll get our HAL fix anyway.

I didn't even ask about substituted ports as we just wanted a full refund. We went to Cuba last year on Carnival and we only booked the Veendam Cuba cruise because it had a second stop in Cuba in addition to Havana.

I agree wyobean. That other thread was becoming too political and way off the topic. I'm obviously disappointed about Cuba but it is what it is. I'll sit tight and see what HAL comes up with as far as alternate port/s are concerned and take it from there.

Cheers

Rick

• Like 2

I hope more folks will post their experiences. Usually cruise lines are pretty good with accommodating customers when unforeseen things  happen to radically change itineraries and severely impact the value of a cruise.

That other topic left the rails long ago.

• Like 1

I was offered a future cruise credit for the amount of our fare or we could book another cruise, but I told the agent we already had a Nieuw Statendam cruise booked for Dec. 1st so I declined both of those offers. Since it was a Western Caribbean cruise on the Veendam, I suspect HAL will stop at other destinations in that area instead of the two Cuba ports.

Glad to know that things went smoothly as I assumed they would with HAL.

The four of us will wait and see what ports are added but I'm pretty such I could guess. I have no complaints if we decide to go ahead and take this cruise while maintaining our two perks plus the additional OBC per passenger.

I see HAL as handling this situation very well.

5 hours ago, Dog Drool said:

Do we know what port HAL is going to now that Cuba is out?   It would be nice to go to some different ports like Grenadines, Grenada, or St Barts.

We were told that we wouldn't know the replacement ports until the 15th of June.  Just waiting to see what they are.

• Like 2

We have this booked for December as a 10 day over Christmas.  Received notice yesterday that our excursions were cancelled and my cc will be refunded.  I logged into my account to view the booking, it is there, I can see the old itinerary and that is it.  We are planning on going with the flow with changes since flights are booked.  Already have HMC.  Just patiently, kind of, waiting to see what the new itinerary will be.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We have this booked for December as a 10 day over Christmas.  Received notice yesterday that our excursions were cancelled and my cc will be refunded.  I logged into my account to view the booking, it is there, I can see the old itinerary and that is it.  We are planning on going with the flow with changes since flights are booked.  Already have HMC.  Just patiently, kind of, waiting to see what the new itinerary will be.  

Are you on the Veendam? We're booked from Dec 18 to 28.  

We're just waiting to see if the new itinerary is something we might like to do or if we'll jump ship to something else.  I'd really like to stay put since we've already got much of the rest of our trip arranged around it.  Switching out will be a PITA.

1 hour ago, cowmilker said:

Are you on the Veendam? We're booked from Dec 18 to 28.  

We're just waiting to see if the new itinerary is something we might like to do or if we'll jump ship to something else.  I'd really like to stay put since we've already got much of the rest of our trip arranged around it.  Switching out will be a PITA.

I’m on the same itinerary as you.  Curious too what the special pricing will be.  Might allow for a cabin upgrade.  Currently in an aft corner.

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

On another thread, someone has reported they were told Half Moon Cay and Nassau...  

I sure hope it is not Nassau or HMC.   Nassau has lost it's charm years ago.   If I am on a Trans-Atlantic that stops in Nassau, that is a quiet sea day for me.  Been there-- done that, too many times to count.   HMC would be a ripoff for people who paid for cruise ports that you could take actual excursions, not just a beach break.

• Like 2

We actually like the beach, and we live inland, so. . . beach break is okay.

I am trying to be positive about this. Time is helping. I did a lot of stomping around the house and swearing a good bit at first, but I'm better now.

• Like 1

Well being a non U.S. citizen, my wife and I may be able to fly into Cuba and spend 3 or 4 days travelling around the island. I will have to check with my local Flight Centre to see what gives in this regard.....here's hoping!!

Rick

• Like 1

I am also on the Veendam Christmas Cruise which had 3 days in Cuba and already has HMC as a stop.

Just waiting to see what the new itinerary and pricing will be before making a decision. 

I hope HAL offers similar discounts to the other lines. I know we already have an additional $100pp shipboard credit but would need to see a bit of a price reduction to keep this booking. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 2:55 PM, slidergirl said:

On another thread, someone has reported they were told Half Moon Cay and Nassau...  

IMO. that would be better than  one or even two (Ocho Rios,  Montego Bay)  in Jamaica.

I had considered going with a group to Cuba next January but the cost of the 7-day cruise on the Veendam was a little steep for what was basically a 7-day Caribbean cruise. Now this group is not going to Cuba at all and I'm wondering how these passengers will feel after paying extra $ (other 7-day similar cruises are much cheaper) to go to either Nassau/Half Moon Cay instead of Havana? Even a $100 OBC wouldn't be worth it. HAL executives must be going nuts trying to figure out what to do and not lose lots of $$$ over this.

1 hour ago, wldflr said:

I had considered going with a group to Cuba next January but the cost of the 7-day cruise on the Veendam was a little steep for what was basically a 7-day Caribbean cruise. Now this group is not going to Cuba at all and I'm wondering how these passengers will feel after paying extra $ (other 7-day similar cruises are much cheaper) to go to either Nassau/Half Moon Cay instead of Havana? Even a $100 OBC wouldn't be worth it. HAL executives must be going nuts trying to figure out what to do and not lose lots of $$$ over this.

We've been told the new itineraries will be repriced, along the lines of what a current 7 night Caribbean cruise would cost.  No way will they get away with leaving the higher price on the new itinerary.  

"guests on this voyage will receive a shipboard credit of $100 USD per person applied to their onboard account in addition to receiving new pricing."

Edited by Shmoo here

As Australians coming a long way to visit Cuba, I must say we are disappointed, however what can you do. Just have to see what HAL comes up with as regards alternatives and take it from there. We all should know within the next few days I guess.

Rick