Best room type for 4?

I’m sure this has probably been asked ad nauseum, but I’ve searched and haven’t found anything. 

I am saving up to to book an RCI cruise for my family in June 2020. It will be me, my husband, and our two adult kids, age 20 and 18. My son is 6’3”. What’s the best room type to choose for our group?  I have been considering getting adjoining rooms, but if there’s a room type where the kids can each have their own bed and my husband and I can have one and it will actually be comfortable for everyone, I would appreciate some advice. 

If it matters, I’m thinking Caribbean, so it would more than likely be Mariner of the Seas. 

Thank you!

Edited by Pixelfrog
Typos.

34 minutes ago, Pixelfrog said:

I’m sure this has probably been asked ad nauseum, but I’ve searched and haven’t found anything. 

I am saving up to to book an RCI cruise for my family in June 2020. It will be me, my husband, and our two adult kids, age 20 and 18. My son is 6’3”. What’s the best room type to choose for our group?  I have been considering getting adjoining rooms, but if there’s a room type where the kids can each have their own bed and my husband and I can have one and it will actually be comfortable for everyone, I would appreciate some advice. 

If it matters, I’m thinking Caribbean, so it would more than likely be Mariner of the Seas. 

Thank you!

Two cabins...adjoining, next to each other or across the hall is the way to go. If they have to be further apart based on what's available, book an adult in each cabin and then make the change after getting onboard at guest services.

22 minutes ago, Pixelfrog said:

Thank you! I was leaning this way anyway but the site kept saying these small rooms would accommodate 4. I was skeptical. Appreciate the help!

The small rooms will accommodate 4.  It's  a matter of how comfortable those 4 will be in a small room where bedding for 2 will likely be something akin to a cot/bunk/futon.

For some, it works great.  For others, not so much.

9 hours ago, Pixelfrog said:

Thank you!

There are cabins on the Mariner that have two Pullman (they come down from the ceiling) beds, so each person could have his/her own bed.  But the space will be tight, and there will be one bathroom.  But there are four beds, not a sofabed that two would have to share.

Of course, if you and your husband wanted to play it that way, you could choose a larger balcony cabin with a sofabed and you two sleep on the sofabed and give the kids the two regular beds.  Still one bathroom though.  

How comfortable you are as a family in a small space depends on your real life living situation.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Try and get a family OV in the front. The OVP suite, also in the front has two bathrooms if that's a concern. 

Oh, I don’t know if we can afford that, but I’ll look into it. 

Thanks everyone!

I vote for ocean view or balcony for the parents and the inside across the hall for the 18-20 year olds.  Still financially reasonable and WAY more comfy for all involved.

My kids are only 4 and 8 and I don't share a room with them.  Royal allows us to book them in a connecting room, otherwise we can book one adult one in each room with each child (still connecting rooms though.) If feasible we book a suite that at least has one separate bedroom and kids sleep on sofa or 2nd bedroom.  We also do the connecting rooms in hotels.

Just to add some extra thoughts on this thread.  We have done the connecting rooms a few times and it has worked really well.  One of the side benefits is that the balcony dividers can be opened up making the balcony feel even bigger for each cabin.

When the kids were younger, the four of us would stay in one regular balcony. DH and I on the bed - and the kids on the sofa bed. On our last cruise, we had one kid on the pulldown bunk and one on the sofa bed.

My kid are now 13 and 11, but my 11 year old is 5'9".  We can no longer fit in one cabin. They are adult-size and we are just too cramped. You need room for your stuff and room to move and you need to share a bathroom.  On our last land trip, we found it hard to share a small resort room.

The nice thing about two rooms is you get the perks on both cabins.  When you share a room, most perks are limited to the first and second passengers.  Unless you have a 3/4 passenger sails free promotion, you will mostly be better off in two cabins.

Just my 2 cents but if budget is a criteria then check out category 1k rooms - ultra spacious family room with ocean view. Sleeps 6. I believe there is an equivalent on Oasis class with a balcony. I think they are 1a. In my experience this will always be cheaper than 2 cabins. 

Just ran some #'s on your ship, not sure they are the best but should be close.

for 4 adults in an interior (160 sq ft and 1 bath) I got around 2K on RCI site, through a TA I got same - $100 cruise cash

for 4 adults in 2 interior rooms it was only about $500 more (no where near double) and through TA -$200 cruise cash

The ultra large oceanview (catagory 1K) which is the size of 2 interior rooms but still 1 bath was about $900 more on RCI & about $600 through a TA so the 2 interior rooms appears to be the most cost effective option unless you want to jam 4 people into a 160 (10x16) room sharing 1 bath. 

2 hours ago, vickiw0318 said:

You mentioned the Mariner.  On Deck 9 very close to the back of the ship, there are two combos of a balcony cabin connected to an inside cabin.  They are 9676 & 9681 and 9376 & 9381.

This is a great option, especially when you have kids and you don't want them to have their own balcony for safety reasons.  Wish there were more of these.

We have also traveled with our twins (now 21) and ever since they were 12, we get 2 rooms.  We have never had adjoining, but directly across the hall and side by side (just not connecting).  We have said that we will never travel in 1 room when we bring them.. The 2nd bathroom and just the double space makes it well worth the cost of 2 rooms....but shhhhhh this is a secret....we are cruising next summer to celebrate their college graduation and we booked a 2 bedroom suite!  The kids think we again have 2 rooms across from each other, but dh and I booked so early that we were able to get a 2 bedroom suite...2 bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms, and all the suite benefits.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 12:08 AM, Pixelfrog said:

Thank you!

I agree with everyone about two rooms being ideal - two bathrooms, just more room, etc.  However, after comparing prices and if you find it’s not possible, look for a cabin that sleeps 4 with Pullman beds rather than a sofa bed. Pullman beds come out of the wall/ceiling and are twin size and work fine.  We did Pullman beds on the Majesty when our kids were in college in an inside cabin - and the Majesty has small cabins. Our son was playing football and a “big kid.”

We made it work by the guys often showering at the gym and leaving bathroom to my daughter and I. You also have to be tidy and keep clutter to a minimum especially on the cabin floor so no one trips in the night. This was in the days of true formal nights and more dressing for dinner, but we managed.

good luck and do what works for your family. 

On 6/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, LuCruise said:

This is a great option, especially when you have kids and you don't want them to have their own balcony for safety reasons.  Wish there were more of these.

I agree!  More balconies connected to insides or ocean views would be great. Not sure about RCCL but X offers a handful of "Family Verandahs" or something like that..  a good idea, they hold 5 people, one "larger" bedroom and one tiny one, but the problem is that there is still only one BATHROOM.  We often travel as 5- myself, dh, two kids, and either nanny or my mom.  no way in the world 5 of us are sharing one bathroom.  Connecting balcony to OV or inside is the perfect solution.  For now if there is not an adult in the balcony room where our kids are connecting we will just bungee cord the door to the furniture so they can't open.  (Plus we scare the daylights out of them about going out on the balcony alone.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

For now if there is not an adult in the balcony room where our kids are connecting we will just bungee cord the door to the furniture so they can't open.  (Plus we scare the daylights out of them about going out on the balcony alone.)

There are child locks on most of the balcony doors, it would only be older ships that may not have them.  A whole lot better than bungee cords

9A25BFBF-BE79-4D52-A38A-CFE699F4227F.png

On 6/8/2019 at 10:08 PM, Pixelfrog said:

Thank you!

You may find the total cost for a balcony for two and a inside for the kids will not be much of a price difference than a cabin for 4.