Shhh. Sleepers Below

Ithikan

It’s day 3 for us on the Pursuit’s June 19 Greek Intensive.  I’ve many impressions which will be passed along in a post-cruise CC review - just now I need to share my disappointment with Sunset veranda, off Windows Cafe.  It has always been my favorite venue for breakfast, but it is unavailable until after 7:30AM.  No big deal for many, but there are a gang of us who gather each morning to wait for a table there.  After inquiring as to why, I was told “Top suites are directly below and the noise of scraping chairs bothers the guests.”

Hmm.   I appreciate sleep as much as the next cruiser, but feel that (1)  chair scraping is no worse than an anchor noise, or tender prep sounds, or early joggers; (2) food is out at 7AM and the action commences immediately, with cutlery, voices, etc. and (3) why should the sensitivities of a few impact so many?  As an aside - in 3 days, 7:30 has in reality been closer to 7:40 or later.  End of rant.

P.S.  Meet and Mingle was very poorly attended.  We were, I think, 6 in number in the Cabaret Lounge with officers and staff (and all the prepared nibbles and drinks) easily outnumbering us.  A bit wasteful, and I felt badly for the crew.  If we sign up, we ought to make an effort to go IMO.

The islands are fabulous and we’ve Azamazing Evening tonight.  Perhaps I’ll sleep in tomorrow ; )

Teri

• Like 2

This is one of the reasons we don’t find booking CC Suites (or anything on Deck Eight) appealing.  If you have ever tried to sleep with someone walking above you or chairs scraping it is pretty annoying.  We find Deck 7 to be so nice and quiet! However, I agree they should have the sunset Veranda as we always eat breakfast outside if we can.  Just one of the challenges of keeping all the guests happy...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ithikan said:

It’s day 3 for us on the Pursuit’s June 19 Greek Intensive.  I’ve many impressions which will be passed along in a post-cruise CC review - just now I need to share my disappointment with Sunset veranda, off Windows Cafe.  It has always been my favorite venue for breakfast, but it is unavailable until after 7:30AM.  No big deal for many, but there are a gang of us who gather each morning to wait for a table there.  After inquiring as to why, I was told “Top suites are directly below and the noise of scraping chairs bothers the guests.”

Hmm.   I appreciate sleep as much as the next cruiser, but feel that (1)  chair scraping is no worse than an anchor noise, or tender prep sounds, or early joggers; (2) food is out at 7AM and the action commences immediately, with cutlery, voices, etc. and (3) why should the sensitivities of a few impact so many?  As an aside - in 3 days, 7:30 has in reality been closer to 7:40 or later.  End of rant.

P.S.  Meet and Mingle was very poorly attended.  We were, I think, 6 in number in the Cabaret Lounge with officers and staff (and all the prepared nibbles and drinks) easily outnumbering us.  A bit wasteful, and I felt badly for the crew.  If we sign up, we ought to make an effort to go IMO.

The islands are fabulous and we’ve Azamazing Evening tonight.  Perhaps I’ll sleep in tomorrow ; )

Teri

The meet and mingle on the previous cruise was also very poorly attended,

Made us wonder if they will start  enforcing minimum numbers, I would not blame them.

The chairs on Pursuit's Sunset veranda differ from those on the other ships.  On the other ships the chairs move on flat runners with flat glides and make little noise rubbing against the decking while someone slides back or forward to get in or out of the chair.  Pursuit's chairs rest on four legs with rubberized plastic tips and make a terrible noise against the decking when someone sitting in them moves forward or back.

Having spent 32 days directly under Pursuit's Sunset veranda I will tell you the sound is loud and terribly annoying.  And I want to be on that veranda between 6:30 and 7 every morning, but it just can't be done with the existing chairs.  Not a problem on Quest or Journey.

Other than those Pursuit suites and verandas right under Sunset, other aft suites on all the ships' deck 8 have never given us a noise issue.  They are our preferred location on the ships.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 1

We were disappointed on our recent cruise that the back deck didn’t open until 7.30 and sometimes later. This happened on the Quest too many years ago but not recently. Also why no umbrellas on the row of tables along the edge as on the other ships? That row of tables didn’t even seem to have holes for the umbrellas although the tables under cover did have holes but were covered with tablecloths?   Next week our room is directly under this open deck but we would still like it to open earlier.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ithikan said:

Teri

Agreed!

I was very disappointed on a cruise earlier this year to be unable to access what has been my facvourite early morning space on many cruises over the years. I was also told the practice may be extended to the sister ships. Rarely open at the advertised time.

Also agreed that various other early morning noises of life on a ship disturb the sleep of cruisers in several other areas of the ship.

I have been to small M&M gatherings, but when numbers are known to be small, they have been held in the Drawing Room AKA Library. I absolutely agree if one indicates by signing up for a catered function simple courtesy demands they should turn up!

Edited by Baynanno1

Do you think that it might be because Azamara feels that the suite people pay more for their quarters and they deserve more than us ordinary folk?  I will bet that if someone in an inside cabin or an outside window cabin made the same complaint, the would ignore us.

DON

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Do you think that it might be because Azamara feels that the suite people pay more for their quarters and they deserve more than us ordinary folk?  I will bet that if someone in an inside cabin or an outside window cabin made the same complaint, the would ignore us.

DON

Suggest you read my posting again, Don.  Unless you have been in one of the four cabins under Pursuit's Sunset bar you have no understanding of the sounds from above.  Night and day from the other two ships.

This has been put in place solely because of the expensive suites

If you book under the Showroom too bad

Under the pool area bad luck

We normally book an Oceanview under the boardwalk below the tenders

We are disturbed by crew moving chairs as early as 6.00AM

But Azamara will not change the time they start working in that area

Special rule for some guests - guests who keep booking these suites should be well aware of the problem

Peter

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Suggest you read my posting again, Don.  Unless you have been in one of the four cabins under Pursuit's Sunset bar you have no understanding of the sounds from above.  Night and day from the other two ships.

I was not at all suggesting that there was not a problem with the noise.  I do not doubt that there is a problem.  My point was that the only reason that Azamara responded to the valid complaints was that they came from suite passengers who paid a lot of money for the cabin.  If the exact complaints came from lower prices cabins, I am sure that Azamara would just blow off the complainants to tell them that it was just tough.  My point was that with Azamara as with other places, they listen to you if you are perceived to be high class and ignored if you are not.

DON

• Like 3

Update re. Sunset veranda:  this morning the doors opened slightly before 7:30, and we are grateful for that response from Azamara F&B.

Marinaro44, I had not realized the chairs are different from Quest and Journey, and appreciate that guests in those suites don’t feel the need to know each time I rise to fill my plate.  But hey, it’s a buffet, it has been very tasty thus far, and increased tables = increased diners.

Now docked at Agios Nikolaus and getting ready to burn off some of those calories.  Kalimera!

• Like 1

For me my major issue with this  is losing the only aft area to do early morning photos even in areas of outstanding natural beauty just to keep two suites happy (doubt they did it for the VX). I can accept it if it’s a sea day but not when we are docking at 7.30 or earlier. 

OK there’s been a problem (there’s also an awful problem on Deck 8 below patio and kitchens that goes on until c1am starts about 5) on Pursuit. They need to look at the furniture and in the meantime rather than a blanket ban (probably easier for them) adjust it earlier if we arrive in port for 7/7.30. 

I remember this ban was on Quest for one or two cruises but then someone from Miami came onboard, saw the awful overcrowding one early port breakfast, and stopped it. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Agreed!

I absolutely agree if one indicates by signing up for a catered function simple courtesy demands they should turn up!

Whilst I agree, there are some other factors re the Cruise  Critic social. 

1.  On many roll calls someone is banging on every few posts make sure you sign up.  New people sign up, I’ve seen some do it believing they can’t join guest tours if you don’t 

2.  When you sign up you’ve no idea when it’s going to be, it varies.  You might have a provisional idea what your embarkation day plans after boarding might be but things change 

3.  So often it’s during sail away many don’t know that when signing up. If it’s a choice between the two for most first day sail out wins

&  Invitations are not always issued on time and are often left in your room lumped with a pile of “advertising junk”. Although it’s in the Insider if it’s on embarkation day not everyone gets that straight away.

In any event the ship doesn’t cater per head but in bands up to 25, 50 etc. and no one in guest relations will do anything with your cancellation message - they are too busy with more important things and you need to wait in line to see them. 

Perhaps if there was less “whipping in” on roll calls and communication on place and time came quicker the absentee rate would drop but I’d hate anyone to feel guilty if they miss it for other reasons that matter to them.   It’s not a demand it’s a try in my book. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 4

On 6/22/2019 at 4:20 PM, marinaro44 said:

The chairs on Pursuit's Sunset veranda differ from those on the other ships.  On the other ships the chairs move on flat runners with flat glides and make little noise rubbing against the decking while someone slides back or forward to get in or out of the chair.  Pursuit's chairs rest on four legs with rubberized plastic tips and make a terrible noise against the decking when someone sitting in them moves forward or back.

Having spent 32 days directly under Pursuit's Sunset veranda I will tell you the sound is loud and terribly annoying.  And I want to be on that veranda between 6:30 and 7 every morning, but it just can't be done with the existing chairs.  Not a problem on Quest or Journey.

Other than those Pursuit suites and verandas right under Sunset, other aft suites on all the ships' deck 8 have never given us a noise issue.  They are our preferred location on the ships.

Great post - thank you!  We’ve spent 150+ nights in 8088 and never had a problem with noise from above - but not yet on Pursuit.  We’ll stay clear until the chairs have been changed over.

11 hours ago, uktog said:

Whilst I agree, there are some other factors re the Cruise  Critic social. 

1.  On many roll calls someone is banging on every few posts make sure you sign up.  New people sign up, I’ve seen some do it believing they can’t join guest tours if you don’t 

2.  When you sign up you’ve no idea when it’s going to be, it varies.  You might have a provisional idea what your embarkation day plans after boarding might be but things change 

3.  So often it’s during sail away many don’t know that when signing up. If it’s a choice between the two for most first day sail out wins

&  Invitations are not always issued on time and are often left in your room lumped with a pile of “advertising junk”. Although it’s in the Insider if it’s on embarkation day not everyone gets that straight away.

In any event the ship doesn’t cater per head but in bands up to 25, 50 etc. and no one in guest relations will do anything with your cancellation message - they are too busy with more important things and you need to wait in line to see them. 

Perhaps if there was less “whipping in” on roll calls and communication on place and time came quicker the absentee rate would drop but I’d hate anyone to feel guilty if they miss it for other reasons that matter to them.   It’s not a demand it’s a try in my book. 

100% agree.  We always sign up but if the actual date and time doesn’t fit our plans (ie is during sail away), we’re a no show. 

37 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

100% agree.  We always sign up but if the actual date and time doesn’t fit our plans (ie is during sail away), we’re a no show. 

I will pick sail away always. Why innEurope or Asia would you want to be inside vs watching a sail out. Most of my M&G have been at six. If we sail at five I pop in but not if we sail at Six. The ones at ten am I never been too. I am in cabin getting ready for my day,

I’ve yet to be on deck for a sail-away!

I  know that the first night is always busy, but it seems it should be possible to schedule the M&G for a different time. For my August Pursuit cruise, only 3 people from our quiet roll call have signed up, so maybe I won’t even have to choose. Definitely no one banging on or even encouraging it. I’ve met great people at them, so I’d hate for it not to happen, but they seem to be getting smaller and smaller, so we’ll see.

Melissa

We have just returned from Pursuit and about 8-10 turned up for the meet and greet.

We had a CC suite on deck 8 - 8064 - and found it quiet the majority of the time.  What I thought was an airplane taking off a couple of times above us happened, the most notable times at 5.30am and again at 11.45pm.  We were below windows cafe which is not the issue as it is capeted but it is the staff area above, which I assume is the galley for the buffet.  Looking at the deck plans I think it overlaps the inner edge of the cabin so would be above the one side of the bed and bathroom area.  I heard occasional footsteps but it was the rumbling noise overhead which was the most disturbing, presumably from heavy trolleys.

Edited by Lynnewob

Not trying to be controversial or go too far off topic but I have noticed that Roll Calls have been quieter since the Cruise Critic update and demise of the App. Could it be that some of those who were using the app find navigating the site now more difficult and have given up?

On the deck 8 noise issues we’ve been in a few different deck 8 cabins over the years and know some of the ones to avoid and of course the good ones, for us anyway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Not trying to be controversial or go too far off topic but I have noticed that Roll Calls have been quieter since the Cruise Critic update and demise of the App. Could it be that some of those who were using the app find navigating the site now more difficult and have given up?

On the deck 8 noise issues we’ve been in a few different deck 8 cabins over the years and know some of the ones to avoid and of course the good ones, for us anyway.

I suspect that is one reason.  Another is that there are now other outlets now for groups to connect (e.g. Facebook) where people can connect with names and message direct without the risk of putting their email on such an insecure forum as this one.  There is also something about group dynamics, the groups are no longer gelling as they did - before it was just cruisers and potential cruisers who participated but now it is a free for all.  The roll calls did start to get quieter before the app changed but I am sure it has further contributed.  

A good reason to not book aft suites.  I usually book deck 7 on Azamara. It is sandwiched between 2 decks of cabins. You may hear some overhead noise from above or in the hallway. My favorite location is deck 7 just in front of the forward elevators. Only guests staying in those cabins walk by.  Deck 7 midship gets foot traffic. Avoid deck 7 cabins near the laundry room. On my next cruise, I am on deck 8 midship.  It’s what I could get.  Expecting some noise on white night if it is held outside. Since we are going to Alaska where nights are cold, I wouldn’t be surprised if white night is inside. Just did b2b in May on a another cruise line that does weekly bbq on deck with entertainment.  It is similar to Azamara white nights. Only one bbq was outside. Rest were in the dining room.  Either way, the bbq nights were a blast. 

38 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

A good reason to not book aft suites. 

Deck 8 suites (and verandas) on the stern are a non-issue except on Pursuit, because of the chair configuration and the resulting noise.  We've spent many nights there (as, apparently, has Floris) with no real issue.

We've probably spent 150-200 nights in N2 CC suites (including 8064 often) aft of the rear elevators without any real noise issue.  The rolling cart, or whatever it is, occurs a few times a day and is nothing like an airplane taking off.  It'a a brief low rumble, and, to us, not a big deal.

Staterooms under Pursuit's Sunset veranda, however, are a very different thing.  During every meal period, the very loud GRRRUNCH sound occurs every time someone moves a chair, and there are more than forty chairs on each half of that veranda.  One night we ate early and went back to 8088 to relax.  We actually began to find it amusing listening to all the noises, happening seemingly every minute.  Azamara simply has to get rid of those chairs.

On 6/23/2019 at 2:55 AM, baytraller said:

We normally book an Oceanview under the boardwalk below the tenders

We are disturbed by crew moving chairs as early as 6.00AM

But Azamara will not change the time they start working in that area

Peter

We will be in a mid ship cabin, deck 4 location, as mentioned above in the autumn  and I was wondering if there would be disturbance.  We decided that as it is not a complete prom deck around the ship and that there is a complete running deck above pool deck, then it is not likely that people will be running along there early morning, but I had not thought about arranging chairs.

Can I ask if this is just something that will take about ten minutes or is there more prolonged noise from above at other times - morning or night?

My experience of deck 4 category 5 cabins that I’ve stayed in a number of times is that you hear the noise of the of the mechanical as the boats are lowered at tender ports, but it’s not too early and depending upon itinerary may only be in one or two ports.  And once the lifeboats have been lowered, that’s it. I’ve never noticed footsteps from the Promenade Deck above. If you move further forward to the category 6 cabins then youfeel the bow thrusters as they kick in and also noise from the Cabaret Lounge above.  

I love the location.  Very handy for Guest Relations and Mosaic is one deck above. 

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

My experience of deck 4 category 5 cabins that I’ve stayed in a number of times is that you hear the noise of the of the mechanical as the boats are lowered at tender ports, but it’s not too early and depending upon itinerary may only be in one or two ports.  And once the lifeboats have been lowered, that’s it. I’ve never noticed footsteps from the Promenade Deck above. If you move further forward to the category 6 cabins then youfeel the bow thrusters as they kick in and also noise from the Cabaret Lounge above.  

I love the location.  Very handy for Guest Relations and Mosaic is one deck above. 

Phil

Thanks for the reassurance, we are only a few cabins forward if reception, so should be OK.