cash vs card accont

We usually do a cash account but I was wondering about using a card. Do they deduct daily or do it at the end? Any limitations to having a card account for your room? Asking because I don't charge vacations so I will be using my bank card.

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009
dd

If by "card" you mean a debit card, they will do daily authorizations and then a final charge.  Some banks let the daily amounts fall off quickly, some don't.  So you can be left with about a double charge to your account for a period of days.

A better way is to use a cash account, and then pay it off on the last day with a card.  Only one charge then.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

We usually do a cash account but I was wondering about using a card. Do they deduct daily or do it at the end? Any limitations to having a card account for your room? Asking because I don't charge vacations so I will be using my bank card.

If using "a card" Use a credit card, never debit. If your account gets screwed up, yes you'll get you money back, but it may take time vs a credit card which is instant

You should always have a credit card with you for emergencies anyway

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If by "card" you mean a debit card, they will do daily authorizations and then a final charge.  Some banks let the daily amounts fall off quickly, some don't.  So you can be left with about a double charge to your account for a period of days.

A better way is to use a cash account, and then pay it off on the last day with a card.  Only one charge then.

thanks Bob, that's what I will do. 

8 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Agree...or pay it off with cash...your choice.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Like others, I am not sure if you mean a debit card or a charge card.

From my experience, the cruise line will place a hold on the card in an amount to cover several days into the future to ensure that they will be guaranteed payment for any charges made during that time period. But they will only charge the amount on the last day of the cruise. Anytime we have cruised, only one charge for the total amount was charged to the card at the end of the cruise. That amount will show up on the card's next billing statement. 

We use our charge cards for nearly everything, both at home and on vacations. We bring a small amount of cash for those shore purchases where cash is easier to use, but prefer to charge whatever we can. The huge advantage to using a charge card is if you don't need to worry about carrying a large amount of cash when traveling to the port. And even in the rare cases of the card being hijacked for fraudulent purchases, the maximum risk is only $50 in most cases, and even then the banks usually cancel even that small amount.

Plus, all of our charge cards earn points that can be used for future purchases. We currently have earned enough points that at the moment over half the cost of our next cruise will be covered by points we have earned to date. In this case, that accounts to almost $2,000 when the points are used for travel purchases. Since we don't pay monthly or yearly fees for those cards, and always pay off the balance every month so no interest is added, there are never any costs for using these cards. That makes those $$$$$ actual real "free" money. 

I would never use a debit card for any purchases other that at trusted businesses I am familiar with, and rarely even then. Debit cards have zero protections. Just not worth the risk for the minor convenience they provide. I only use them for cash at ATM machines. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Thanks 1

I set up a credit card and notice that they had a $173 charge pending on my credit card account when I checked mid week. On the second to last day before the cruise ended I paid off the balance in cash. The $173 was never charged to my credit card.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Why not use a RCCL credit card and get 2% Rewards?  Put the cash in your account and pay the card off online.  Costs nothing, gives you extra time to pay.

What rewards do they offer?  OBC?   I have considered doing this, but already have an airline reward card that I use, and am not sure I want to add another rewards card.  I'm afraid that the rewards would be "diluted" and would not add up very quickly on either card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bee Guy said:

What rewards do they offer?  OBC?   I have considered doing this, but already have an airline reward card that I use, and am not sure I want to add another rewards card.  I'm afraid that the rewards would be "diluted" and would not add up very quickly on either card.

The point is, use a credit card which gives rewards.  There is no reward for paying cash or debit card.

• Like 2

Credit or debit card, there is only one actual charge at the end of the week. They will do authorizations throughout the week, those are not actual charges and will drop off eventually. The problem with debit cards, though, is those authorizations will put a hold against your funds so you must have enough in your account to cover those authorizations and the final charge.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We always use our credit card.  Makes it so easy.  i pay it off at the end of each month so it never carries a balance.

I'm with you. Lots of people can't control their spending with a credit card so the only way they can discipline themselves is to use cash.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We always use our credit card.  Makes it so easy.  i pay it off at the end of each month so it never carries a balance.

That's what I do.  Use a card that gives you a bonus you want, whether it be air miles, cash back or whatever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

Royal's card offers OBC and cruise discounts.  Just use it for Royal purchases where you get a 2% return.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal's card offers OBC and cruise discounts.  Just use it for Royal purchases where you get a 2% return.

I quit using the Royal card when they stopped letting you combine.  Now I have a CC that gives me 2% on everything and I can get travel credits.  They book the credits immediately instead of waiting forever for Royal to post anything.  We still have a Royal card but it is our emergency card so we never use it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I quit using the Royal card when they stopped letting you combine.  Now I have a CC that gives me 2% on everything and I can get travel credits.  They book the credits immediately instead of waiting forever for Royal to post anything.  We still have a Royal card but it is our emergency card so we never use it.

Which card and does it have an annual fee?

15 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Like others, I am not sure if you mean a debit card or a charge card.

From my experience, the cruise line will place a hold on the card in an amount to cover several days into the future to ensure that they will be guaranteed payment for any charges made during that time period. But they will only charge the amount on the last day of the cruise. Anytime we have cruised, only one charge for the total amount was charged to the card at the end of the cruise. That amount will show up on the card's next billing statement. 

We use our charge cards for nearly everything, both at home and on vacations. We bring a small amount of cash for those shore purchases where cash is easier to use, but prefer to charge whatever we can. The huge advantage to using a charge card is if you don't need to worry about carrying a large amount of cash when traveling to the port. And even in the rare cases of the card being hijacked for fraudulent purchases, the maximum risk is only $50 in most cases, and even then the banks usually cancel even that small amount.

Plus, all of our charge cards earn points that can be used for future purchases. We currently have earned enough points that at the moment over half the cost of our next cruise will be covered by points we have earned to date. In this case, that accounts to almost $2,000 when the points are used for travel purchases. Since we don't pay monthly or yearly fees for those cards, and always pay off the balance every month so no interest is added, there are never any costs for using these cards. That makes those $$$$$ actual real "free" money. 

I would never use a debit card for any purchases other that at trusted businesses I am familiar with, and rarely even then. Debit cards have zero protections. Just not worth the risk for the minor convenience they provide. I only use them for cash at ATM machines. 

thanks for all the info SantaFe!

Nothing is actually CHARGED to a credit card until the cruise is over.  A DEBIT card is a different story...."holds" will be place on your bank account every time you buy something...and it's up to your bank (not the ship) to release those "holds".....some banks take longer than others.

Either use cash, or a credit card...never use a debit card or it can compromise your bank account, unless you have PLENTY of money in that account!

On 6/23/2019 at 1:19 PM, Host Clarea said:

Which card and does it have an annual fee?

Barclay's Arrival +.  Yes it does have a fee, but we put EVERYTHING on our card and pay it off each month, so it is worth the fee.  When I do a travel credit, it is posted within 2 days (unlike Royal where it can take months) and they give you back 5% of the points you redeem.  Have had it for a few years now and really like it

On 6/23/2019 at 1:09 PM, karena1 said:

Can't combine what?

2 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Can't combine what?

Back in the day, you could cash in points for a free companion fare and still get your C&A discount applied, you could use points regardless of the promos being offered.  Now it is so restrictive, just not worth it.