Ideas for Juneau

POF1234

Hi everyone, 

I'm booked on an evening whale watch in Juneau, which means I have the morning and early afternoon free.  I think I would like to take a walking tour of Juneau, shop, visit a museum or art gallery.  We have big tours in Ketchikan and Skagway and might not have a lot of time to explore those ports.  

Any suggestions ? I love seafood and Tracey's crab shack appeals to me  - but it looks crazy ! 

Thank You 

17 minutes ago, POF1234 said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm booked on an evening whale watch in Juneau, which means I have the morning and early afternoon free.  I think I would like to take a walking tour of Juneau, shop, visit a museum or art gallery.  We have big tours in Ketchikan and Skagway and might not have a lot of time to explore those ports.  

Any suggestions ? I love seafood and Tracey's crab shack appeals to me  - but it looks crazy ! 

Thank You 

we did this ... but it was back in 2007, so ...

http://mountrobertstramway.com/

• Like 1

You can take the Mt Roberts Tram in the morning (only if the weather cooperates!).  That’s a nice, low-key activity.  There are a number of hikes up top as well.

You also may have enough time to rent a car and drive to Mendenhall Glacier, Eagle State Park, St. Teresa Shire and/or the Alaska Brewing Company.  We’ve also driven over the bridge to visit old mining sites.  Everything is pretty close.  We use Juneau Car Rental—these cars are not like the ones you get at other places!  They do run though!

I would also suggest you visit the Alaska boards—loads of information and advice.

Happy sailing!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, POF1234 said:

I love seafood and Tracey's crab shack appeals to me  - but it looks crazy ! 

Thank You 

Go to Tracy's, you will not be sorry.  But, do try to be there between the crowds if you can.

1 minute ago, hpeabody said:

Go to Tracy's, you will not be sorry.  But, do try to be there between the crowds if you can.

I second this.  Expensive, but well worth it if you like king crab legs!

POF, I might have a great lunch recommendation for you--or, maybe, not.

A few years ago my wife and I stumbled onto Deckhand Dave's.  We'd tried Tracy's the year before and were planning to go back there.  This was Tracy's first season in their fancy schmancy location right near the tram.  When we saw the line out the door, we decided to come up with a Plan B.  We walked around a bit and found Deckhand Dave's at Tracy's' old location.

THE ABSOLUTE BEST FISH TACOS EVER.

Last May we were back in Juneau and Dave's was definitely our lunch plan.  Before doing that, however, we walked to the Alaska Fudge Company on Franklin Street and stocked up on some fudge.  Dave's is another half block up Front and across the street.

Except, now it's not.  Major construction going on.  Where Dave's and some other little food shacks were located was now a big hole.

Panic city.  This is a big disappointment.

We'd bantered with the guy in the Fudge shop, and, so, figured he could tell us what was going on.  It seems that the city had decided that they had a better use for that lot, and kicked out all the little food shacks.  According to "Fudge Guy" Dave's was relocating to a lot at the corner of Franklin and Front Streets, three blocks up.  He wasn't open, yet, but that was the plan.  We found the lot at the corner of Franklin and Front, but it was completely empty.

'

The website gives their location at 139 Franklin, which I don't think is near where Fudge Guy said.

The Yelp Site for Dave's has some encouraging information.   First of all, there are some very recent reviews.  So, I know that Dave's is back in business.  Also, there are lots of pictures, and it sure looks like they are still located near the cruise ship docks.  One of the "Outside" pics shows a Celebrity ship close by.  So, it looks like an easy walk.

If you do check it out, please come back after your cruise and explain to me exactly where it is.  We are going back in September, and I really want fish tacos this time.

Also, though, I will not denigrate Tracy's.  The crab legs are awesome, but it can get crowded.  Do Dave's for lunch and Tracy's for dinner.

Thanks so much - we will be there in September as well - the Aug 31 sailing - which I think is the last.  

Also - did not realize there were Alaska boards  - I will check that out ! 

Karen

8 minutes ago, POF1234 said:

Thanks so much - we will be there in September as well - the Aug 31 sailing - which I think is the last.  

Karen

We are embarking Sep. 17--Los Angeles-AK-Los Angeles.  So, if you do check it out, Karen. . . .

On the other hand, I am not completely helpless.  I'm sure I can find it.

Checking the AK board, is, of course, and excellent idea,

1 hour ago, POF1234 said:

Karen

Be aware the sun starts setting before 8pm in September.  What if it's a dreary day to begin with?  Personally I would go whale watching during the morning or afternoon rather than risk dusky/dim viewing conditions in the evening, even if it's early evening.

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

POF, I might have a great lunch recommendation for you--or, maybe, not.

A few years ago my wife and I stumbled onto Deckhand Dave's.  We'd tried Tracy's the year before and were planning to go back there.  This was Tracy's first season in their fancy schmancy location right near the tram.  When we saw the line out the door, we decided to come up with a Plan B.  We walked around a bit and found Deckhand Dave's at Tracy's' old location.

THE ABSOLUTE BEST FISH TACOS EVER.

Last May we were back in Juneau and Dave's was definitely our lunch plan.  Before doing that, however, we walked to the Alaska Fudge Company on Franklin Street and stocked up on some fudge.  Dave's is another half block up Front and across the street.

Except, now it's not.  Major construction going on.  Where Dave's and some other little food shacks were located was now a big hole.

Panic city.  This is a big disappointment.

We'd bantered with the guy in the Fudge shop, and, so, figured he could tell us what was going on.  It seems that the city had decided that they had a better use for that lot, and kicked out all the little food shacks.  According to "Fudge Guy" Dave's was relocating to a lot at the corner of Franklin and Front Streets, three blocks up.  He wasn't open, yet, but that was the plan.  We found the lot at the corner of Franklin and Front, but it was completely empty.

'

The website gives their location at 139 Franklin, which I don't think is near where Fudge Guy said.

The Yelp Site for Dave's has some encouraging information.   First of all, there are some very recent reviews.  So, I know that Dave's is back in business.  Also, there are lots of pictures, and it sure looks like they are still located near the cruise ship docks.  One of the "Outside" pics shows a Celebrity ship close by.  So, it looks like an easy walk.

If you do check it out, please come back after your cruise and explain to me exactly where it is.  We are going back in September, and I really want fish tacos this time.

Also, though, I will not denigrate Tracy's.  The crab legs are awesome, but it can get crowded.  Do Dave's for lunch and Tracy's for dinner.

The Twisted Fish is also a good choice and right by the pier.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mek said:

The Twisted Fish is also a good choice and right by the pier.

A friend had tipped me off to Twisted Fish, and we actually wanted to try it for dinner last April.  We were the first cruise ship of the season, and, unfortunately, they were still a few days from opening.  So, we went to Tracy's that evening.  Since we were the only ship in town it was not as frantic as I have seen it.  We will certainly consider Twisted Fish in September.

FWIW, since Dave's was not an option for lunch we went to the Hangar on the Wharf and split something called an Alaska Bento Box.  It was a nice light lunch and hit the spot.

We have always enjoyed visiting the Alaska State Museum there - very worthwhile place to spend some time. I second the Mount Roberts tram suggestion as well if the weather is clear. There is a very nice low key hike up there. You could also take a taxi out for a visit to Mendenhall Glacier if that is of any interest. There is a nice hike there to Nugget Falls which is pretty easy and very scenic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, POF1234 said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank You 

Hike up Mt. Roberts?  Great views of Juneau and surroundings.  Easy hike.   Not strenuous.  You can take the tram back down to town.  Or take the tram up and hike down.

IMO, Tracy’s Crab Shack is good but way overpriced for what you get.   Not impressed.  Go online and google the menu.  YMMV.

Good luck and enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

4 hours ago, POF1234 said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank You 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Also check out the Alaska ports board.

Lots of great info there.

7 hours ago, POF1234 said:

Karen

What ship are you on?  We are booked on the Eurodam on the 31st!

HI, 

We love to wander in Juneau and here are our top picks: 

1. Alaska State Musuem - recently redone (in the last two years) and well worth the visit. Easy walk from the pier. Plan on a couple of hours and look both high and low! 

2. Walk up to the State Capital Building and do the self-guided tour. There building has recently been refurbished and the marble and other details from years gone by are interesting to see. 

3. Right across the street is the Juneau/Douglas museum and worth a visit. It's small but interesting. 

4. Tram - if the weather is nice. 

5. Mendenhall Glacier

Karen

PS: We've visited Juneau 16 times and these are the choices close to town. 

I second doing Mt. Roberts (esp. if your ship is docked just below it) and Mendenhall.  When I was up on Mt. Roberts, eagles were flying near eye level as they soared over the water far below.  Even saw some snow (in May) up there.

15 hours ago, luvteaching said:

1. Alaska State Musuem - recently redone (in the last two years) and well worth the visit. Easy walk from the pier. Plan on a couple of hours and look both high and low! 

2. Walk up to the State Capital Building and do the self-guided tour. There building has recently been refurbished and the marble and other details from years gone by are interesting to see. 

I recommend both of these.  When I visited the State Capital, a free guided tour was available and I found it to be very interesting to learn about the building and their government from an Alaskan.  

On 7/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Hike up Mt. Roberts?  Great views of Juneau and surroundings.  Easy hike.   Not strenuous.  You can take the tram back down to town.  Or take the tram up and hike down.

IMO, Tracy’s Crab Shack is good but way overpriced for what you get.   Not impressed.  Go online and google the menu.  YMMV.

Good luck and enjoy.

How do you get to the tram from where the ships dock?

It's literally right there, we will be there at the end of the month on our cruise.

From Wikipedia:

"The base terminal of the tram is located on the cruise ship docks on South Franklin Street. The terminal building features a large main hall, ticket windows, loading platforms with waiting areas, offices, and maintenance facilities for the tram."

A visual from Google maps:

image.thumb.png.76f88121e02b2ba12a0da623c2f793cb.png

9 minutes ago, mbw1024 said:

How do you get to the tram from where the ships dock?

You can walk. It is sort of central to most cruise ship docks. Can't miss it.

If you are on one for the farther docks - you can often pay for a shuttle into town or walk.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1