Room Attendants (“Stewardesses”) all female?

HPSOV

2 hours ago, raphael360 said:

As did Tammy, who got promoted from being a bar tender to the head of food and beverage on the Sojourn.

When did this happen?

The Tammy I am thinking about was promoted from bartender to bar manager 2 or 3 years ago.  Has she very recently been promoted to F&B director?  That would be great news - she was a very good and hardworking bar manager on SB.  (I was on the Sojourn a month ago, and the F&B director was Roland.)

2 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

When did this happen?

The Tammy I am thinking about was promoted from bartender to bar manager 2 or 3 years ago.  Has she very recently been promoted to F&B director?  That would be great news - she was a very good and hardworking bar manager on SB.  (I was on the Sojourn a month ago, and the F&B director was Roland.)

Is this the Tammy you’re referring to ?

I took this photo the night she was promoted to Bar Manager in September 2016 onboard Quest.

A lovely, very hardworking person.

C443AE53-5BEA-4B76-B1EB-C7F782F8054B.jpeg

397072B8-400D-472C-99F6-8CF2E35B4F64.jpeg

12 minutes ago, SKP946 said:

I took this photo the night she was promoted to Bar Manager in September 2016 onboard Quest.

Yes, indeed.  I like her a lot!

I feel sure  the 'all female stewardesses' on Seabourn is to do with where in the world their staff come from.    Other cruise lines, including the 'luxury' ones, recruit mainly from the Phillipines, and it seems that male cruise staff  from that part of the world are habituated to being housekeeping staff, unlike those from the parts  of the world Seabourn recruits from for the staff who interact with passengers.  This also applies, of course, to wait staff - on Regent, for instance, most of the waiters are from the Phillipines, and their superiors often from Eastern Europe.

6 hours ago, SKP946 said:

This is our Tammy.  She is the Bar Manager.  I mistakenly called here food and beverage manager.  My bad - but I’m she’ll get there. 

Many who started out as a stewardess have moved up the ranks, we know some who became waitresses, moved to guest services (we lost the great stewardess Maria mid-cruise when she got prompted to Guest Services), into management positions, etc.  We also know Tammy and Daniella who used to be the F&B Manager a few years ago.  And yes Teresa, who left Seabourn a few years back, was a Hotel Director - and a great one!!!

On 7/5/2019 at 2:14 AM, sfvoyage said:

We first met Tammy on our second SB cruise.  I complained to the then 'Bar Manager' about paying an up charge when my wife ordered a Margarita with Patron.  (At that time Patron was an up charge of $3).  Anyway, Tammy showed up at the door of our suite the next day holding a "we're sorry" gift.  I won't divulge what it was but suffice it to say it was VERY special and has been on display in our house ever since.  Thank you Tammy and SB for always making it perfect.  Easily could have been our a-ha story on the a-ha post 🙂

Let's have a man from SS apply for a SB cabin attendant position.  If SB won't hire him,  they must be sexist. Let's do this undercover.  Then we can have a class action against SB.   😉

OP:  have you been harmed by any of SB's policies? Do you know of anyone who has been harmed by SB's policies?  Are you searching for a cause?  Are you looking for victims and can't find any?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 5:15 PM, HPSOV said:

Interesting responses! Honestly not the way I thought it was going to go. I wonder if it is a generational thing, I’m in my 30’s and have been brought up in a workplace where discrimination based on anything is a no-no. I wonder if everyone would be as happy if American Airlines decided all its cabin crew should be female? Or that it’s Pilots should all be men? Or if Apple decided that all its senior positions should be filled by men?

In Australian employment law it would be illegal if challenged. 

Anyway, I genuinely didn’t mean to start something, I just wanted to confirm if what I saw was correct (and I was wrong about the chefs). I’ll take it up with Seabourn directly and save my forum outrage for what brand of caviar and champagne are being served! 😉

Well I’m a Male Flight Attendant with AA/USAIRWAYS and I hope they Don’t decide to go all Female FA’s then I’d be out of a job after 33 years! 😬

When traveling in Australia I noted that all of the hotels maids or housekeepers were female or at least looked to be female.   I always noticed that there are women servicing the rooms in the U.S. or in Europe.    Guess everyone should get cited for breaking the law.   We should force men into these occupations in all hotels as they may also be capable of scrubbing toilets.

13 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

When traveling in Australia I noted that all of the hotels maids or housekeepers were female

You make an interesting point.  In my 40 years of business traveling, staying in 1000s of hotel rooms, I never noticed  that all of the hotel housekeepers 'were' women.  Wow.  Now I'm quite annoyed.

1 hour ago, raphael360 said:

Almost every response to this thread is meant to be a joke because this subject is so silly. 🙂

I agree that many replies are silly and stupid.  But, sexism is NOT a joke.  We are supposed to be apolitical.  The purpose of this forum is to provide advice and insight into Seabourn and its cruises. Political  views should be left for other forums and not here.

48 minutes ago, cuddles115 said:

I agree that many replies are silly and stupid.  But, sexism is NOT a joke.  We are supposed to be apolitical.  The purpose of this forum is to provide advice and insight into Seabourn and its cruises. Political  views should be left for other forums and not here.

I agree, sexism is not a joke. But when did it become political?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

But when did it become political?

I don’t think treating every person with love and kindness is ever a political issue.  

We quit being “political” when a 13 year old family member suddenly died last year without warning.  One stops caring about anything and everything after a soul crushing experience like that one. 

Edited by raphael360

As long as this thread has been up, I never thought to give a look because it seemed like a ridiculous topic that would disappear quickly.  It's still up and now I have looked to confirm my original thought.  Rather than ridiculous, more disgusting to me when reading what has been written by OP.   Surprised no mention of the original SB crew.....Scandinavian stews only.  Meaning a total lack of diversity.....white gloves and all.

Take your PC and shove it.

• Like 1

No one needs to be told "shove it" or blame a demographic, loose as it is, such as millennials.

This is a discussion, not a political forum for the thin skinned and acidic. We do live in stressful times already, and

it behooves all of us to remain civil, no matter how easy it may be to be abrupt.

Just stop it and behave yourselves. And try to enjoy each other's company.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, markham said:

No one needs to be told "shove it" or blame a demographic, loose as it is, such as millennials.

This is a discussion, not a political forum for the thin skinned and acidic. We do live in stressful times already, and

it behooves all of us to remain civil, no matter how easy it may be to be abrupt.

Yaah, I agree totally.  

5 hours ago, markham said:

Thank you for your sensible advice markham, I agree.