Oasis vs Anthem out of NJ 2020

1 minute ago, tennislvr8 said:

That's not always the case. I have cruised out of Bayonne several times in March and it wasn't an issue. Once you get to Florida, it won't matter anyway. 

Correct, so it is at least a day each direction that they could lose outside deck access because it is too cold if they sail in March.  In October or September, that is not the case.  I have sailed Anthem in September, November, January and February and even though we went through the leftovers of a hurricane, September was the warmest cruise.

If you think in the future you will have an opportunity to cruise out of Florida I would definitely save the Oasis class for the Florida cruise.   There are a lot more open venues on this class which is better suited for the Caribbean.     The Quantum class(Anthem) was designed with more closed venues which is a better choice for colder windy cruises.  With all southern cruises out of Bayonne the ships are usually running close to full speed.

Another topic you should look into is what your going to do in the ports.   Port Canaveral is a tricky one since the 1PM arrival limits your choices. 

6 minutes ago, fred30 said:

If you think in the future you will have an opportunity to cruise out of Florida I would definitely save the Oasis class for the Florida cruise.   There are a lot more open venues on this class which is better suited for the Caribbean.     The Quantum class(Anthem) was designed with more closed venues which is a better choice for colder windy cruises.  With all southern cruises out of Bayonne the ships are usually running close to full speed.

Another topic you should look into is what your going to do in the ports.   Port Canaveral is a tricky one since the 1PM arrival limits your choices. 

We’re possibly doing this itinerary mainly because of the departure port and the ships. We only plan to really get off the ship for coco cay. We’re a big fan of sea days. We might also take a family cruise out of San Juan to the southern Caribbean so that will fill our port needs.

the prices for the dates we’re looking at for each ship are pretty similar for inside cabins. So it really just comes down to which ship.

edit: also, flying down to Florida someday isn’t out of the question, it’s just we flew overseas this year and will be flying to San Juan next summer so we want to keep the costs down for this one 

Edited by Docbizarro

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I don't mean to imply newer is always better, but it tends to attract more attention.

Oasis will kind of be new with the Amplified version. 

I'd book Oasis and then Anthem after her next drydock 

8 minutes ago, Docbizarro said:

edit: also, flying down to Florida someday isn’t out of the question, it’s just we flew overseas this year and will be flying to San Juan next summer so we want to keep the costs down for this one 

From what I seen the cost for the oasis class ships is less out of Florida then either the Anthem or Oasis cruises are up here.    Flights from this area to the Port areas are very low.    Still for us we love how convenient Bayonne is for us.

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Correct, so it is at least a day each direction that they could lose outside deck access because it is too cold if they sail in March.  In October or September, that is not the case.  I have sailed Anthem in September, November, January and February and even though we went through the leftovers of a hurricane, September was the warmest cruise.

He asked for opinions, I gave mine based on my experience. You gave yours based on your experience. It's ok that they differ. Everyone is different and likes or dislikes different things. That's why these forums are great, different perspectives. Have a good day.

10 hours ago, tennislvr8 said:

That's not always the case. I have cruised out of Bayonne several times in March and it wasn't an issue. Once you get to Florida, it won't matter anyway. 

Yes, but it takes a day to get to Florida and a day to get back from Florida latitudes back to Cape Liberty. In March, that means both the first and last days of the cruise are likely to be quite cold. If being out on your balcony or outside by the pool or anywhere else on deck are important, then one might feel trapped indoors on those first and last days. I live in a cold climate and choose cruising as my escape to warmth. I would be disappointed if 2 of the 7 days of my cruise were cold.

We sailed Anthem in April and it was great.  I would choose Anthem over Oasis.  We have sailed Oasis 2 times and Anthem 3 times.  I feel Anthem has more to do (unlike most people) and we really like the Quantum class.  So, for us it would be easy, Anthem all the way.

19 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Looks like Oasis will be in NJ for a limited time and then Anthem returning in 2021 so may want to do Oasis while you can. Fall is hurricane season so higher chance of port changes or the rare cancellation but also more of a low season with typically better prices.

OA will probably stay in NJ for Summer 2021 doing the 7NT Bahamas runs as Adventure is going to Galveston.

Right now it's showing in New Jersey from May 10 , 2020 with the last sailing on October 25, 2020 then next sailing dates going forward are in Ft. Lauderdale, beginning November 4.  Looks like 3 nights repositioning but not seeing that as an available cruise date. Ft. Lauderdale through the end of April 2021. Nothing posted yet beyond that date.

Summer prices are high-ish but then it's peak season anyway.  The run is all Port Canaveral / CoCo Cay / and Nassau with the exception of one Canada run in late June.  September and October 2020 prices are, as always, lower and certainly an option I would consider. March / Spring Break 2020 dates on Anthem seem to be filling up - I have been watching and considering this as well. The price difference between Anthem in March 2020 and Oasis in late September 2020 is not very significant at the moment on the TA website I use to browse - your mileage may vary, of course.

Certainly if it does well and RCI likes the performance, and we the people support it, they may bring it back for continuing summer runs. Cruising Joe, do you have insider scoop or are you projecting based on logic and intuition?

Edited by KmomChicago

On 7/5/2019 at 12:07 AM, Docbizarro said:

Looking to narrow down some choices for our cruise next year. We're looking at the same itinerary but different dates on different ships

Itinerary: 7 night Orlando/Perfect Day/Nassau out of New Jersey.

1) Oasis (will be amplified) - Sept or Oct 2020

2) Anthem - March 2020

We've cruised 3 times:

1) 2014 on Allure - loved it, but memory isn't completely clear

2) 2018 on Grandeur - loved it

3) 2019 on Independence - had a good time, but had some issues with the ship, some over crowding (which we learned to handle as the cruise went on) and layout issues. Wouldn't completely prevent us from doing a Freedom class again

Things that appeal to us about Anthem

- new class of ship for us

- we want to try wonderland

- skydiving sounds fun

- seems like it's very different from other classes, and would be a fun to try something new

Things that appeal to us about Oasis

- newly renovated

- huge ship, lots of space and things to do

- want to try 150 Central Park (didn't manage to on our 2014 allure cruise)

- new BBQ place might be interesting

- would be interesting to try an Oasis class again now that we have more RCCL experience under our belt

We would just like some thoughts to help us narrow down which ship we would want to take. We would have a great time on either. We're a couple in our 30's without kids and the port is in driving distance.

I really enjoy the Oasis class ships and like to sail from NJ once a year.  We are really looking foward to the Oasis, which is an older version of the Allure.  We have sailed on the Quantum and didn't like it at all.  Found the layout choppy and the ship seemed crowded at times in the main area.  The restaurants weren't as good nor was the entertainment.  I recall very long lines for everything- 

If you are concerned with over crowding, I would suggest you not try the Anthem. 

13 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Right now it's showing in New Jersey from May 10 , 2020 with the last sailing on October 25, 2020 then next sailing dates going forward are in Ft. Lauderdale, beginning November 4.  Looks like 3 nights repositioning but not seeing that as an available cruise date. Ft. Lauderdale through the end of April 2021. Nothing posted yet beyond that date.

Certainly if it does well and RCI likes the performance, and we the people support it, they may bring it back for continuing summer runs. Cruising Joe, do you have insider scoop or are you projecting based on logic and intuition?

It makes sense if the 2020 season is successful financially, the retractable stacks perform well, and they dont try and update the stacks on any other ships of this class.

• Like 1

Does anybody know about the repositioning cruise on 11/1/2020.   We would love to cruise from NJ to Miami and then do the 4 day back to back and fly home.

Most NJ kids will have the week off due to the election and teachers conferences.

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I really enjoy the Oasis class ships and like to sail from NJ once a year.  We are really looking foward to the Oasis, which is an older version of the Allure.  We have sailed on the Quantum and didn't like it at all.  Found the layout choppy and the ship seemed crowded at times in the main area.  The restaurants weren't as good nor was the entertainment.  I recall very long lines for everything- 

If you are concerned with over crowding, I would suggest you not try the Anthem. 

When you say Ossis is older than Allure you do realize there is only 1 year difference. One year would not make a difference for me. The fact that Oasis is getting amped this year  makes more difference than their actual age

1 hour ago, Firethorn said:

Does anybody know about the repositioning cruise on 11/1/2020.   We would love to cruise from NJ to Miami and then do the 4 day back to back and fly home.

Most NJ kids will have the week off due to the election and teachers conferences.

I don’t see any such sailing available yet. Do they always do one? Is there any chance they would sail empty and do a deep cleaning or something en route?

9 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I don’t see any such sailing available yet. Do they always do one? Is there any chance they would sail empty and do a deep cleaning or something en route?

If the ship is repositioning between two US ports, and they want to take paying passengers, then they have to visit a distant foreign port, such as Curacao, Aruba, etc.  This is regulated by a US law called the PVSA.  This would take more time that going directly to Florida with no passengers in 3 days.  So the planners have to consider a number of factors when they decide which path to take.

33 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If the ship is repositioning between two US ports, and they want to take paying passengers, then they have to visit a distant foreign port, such as Curacao, Aruba, etc.  This is regulated by a US law called the PVSA.  This would take more time that going directly to Florida with no passengers in 3 days.  So the planners have to consider a number of factors when they decide which path to take.

Interesting. Could they do something complimentary, such as crew, their families, or travel agents?

8 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Interesting. Could they do something complimentary, such as crew, their families, or travel agents?

They have to take crew, and (I'm sure the Chief can add details) they are likely exempt from the PVSA anyhow.  I doubt they can take anyone else "complimentary" as I'm sure the cruise lines would have found a way to offer "complimentary" passage to avoid the PVSA by now.

I've sailed on both Oasis and Anthem. I prefer the layout of Oasis better. I enjoy the outdoor water theater and also Central park. I like the whole outdoor feel of the ship. I felt the inside center of the Anthem was shorter and more closed in. We are sailing out of Bayonne next September, taking our chances with hurricane eason. We've sailed twice out of New York and New Jersey during hurricane season, twice to New England and once to Bermuda and had no problems.

• Like 1

We sailed on Anthem 3 times and will sail on her again.

We love/like her now, but it took 1-2 cruises to adjust.

You need to know how to "cook" it otherwise you might not like her after other Royal ships.

She can be extremely crowded at times, especially Royal Esplanade.

However Solarium is amazing (not sure how much it is used in hot climates, we usually sail on Anthem for Thanksgiving).

Two70 venue is amazing. Love Spectra's Cabaret.

For Summer cruises I would probably choose Oasis class ships. Loved Allure!!!

Edited by Tatka