Gratuities

On board at moment and topic of dreaded gratuities was brought up at our dining table - of all the people we have spoken to they don’t pay them? Is this the norm?Now at $43.50 a day x 9 nights are we the only ones lol??

Edited by Dundee12

I really hope there are not that many cheap miserly passengers who would be so mean as to deprive the hard working staff of part of their pay. Did you actually walk around asking people if they paid their gratuities or not?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gerif said:

I really hope there are not that many cheap miserly passengers who would be so mean as to deprive the hard working staff of part of their pay. Did you actually walk around asking people if they paid their gratuities or not?

No I did not walk around asking as I said it was brought up in conversation not by myself at our dining table which is large 

3 minutes ago, Dundee12 said:

No I did not walk around asking as I said it was brought up in conversation not by myself at our dining table which is large 

We always prepay our tips and add extra to those who go above and beyond.  If others choose not to do that then that is their choice.  I just find it sad.

I hope those that choose not to pay tips have the decency to remove them on the first day so that the staff will not have worked their butts off all week to please them only to have the tips removed the last day.

• Like 5

Maybe they are just doing the suggest gratuities and consider it a service charge.  We often pre-pay or it's just added to our account daily so we don't really think of it as a gratuity any longer.

47 minutes ago, Dundee12 said:

On board at moment and topic of dreaded gratuities was brought up at our dining table - of all the people we have spoken to they don’t pay them? Is this the norm?Now at $43.50 a day x 9 nights are we the only ones lol??

I sure hope not.  That would be just pitiful.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dundee12 said:

Not the norm 

46 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We always prepay our tips and add extra to those who go above and beyond.  If others choose not to do that then that is their choice.  I just find it sad.

I hope those that choose not to pay tips have the decency to remove them on the first day so that the staff will not have worked their butts off all week to please them only to have the tips removed the last day.

I don't prepay my gratuities only because if there was ever an incident that led me to not want to pay the gratuities, I figure it is easier to deal with it that way as opposed to trying to get the money back from RCL.  Luckily there has never been something major enough for me to not pay them at the end of the cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Frankmac said:

I do not prepay gratuities. I will pay what I deem appropriate for the service I get.

So, how do you get the tips to the people that wash your towels and sheets?   Or the people that wash the dishes and roll the silverware?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Frankmac said:

I do not prepay gratuities. I will pay what I deem appropriate for the service I get.

Just for general principles, does what you deem “appropriate” ever equal or exceed the suggested amount? Why do I feel not. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Frankmac said:

Translation- I stiff the crew!  Not my culture to tip and I don’t care.   I also save a lot of money. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, DancerMama25 said:

So, how do you get the tips to the people that wash your towels and sheets?   Or the people that wash the dishes and roll the silverware?

Obviously those behind the scenes or the buffet wait staff are not deemed worthy.  Those who tip at the end screw a lot of hard working people.  Those who tip at the end are also usually unaware that the tips they place in the hands of those they deem worthy are required to turn the tips into the pool.

• Like 1

I have never stiffed any of the gratuities recommended by the cruise line. We are low maintenance so we never ask anything extra from them except for the waiters in Sky, during the loyalty hours, we do not add extra. The waiters we friended did a super job of keeping our glasses full no mater how busy they were, we didn't even half to ask. They get extra.

If the crew is so overworked that they can't supply services above and beyond the norm, that justifies extra gratuities, that's not my problem, it's between employer and employee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, springfire said:

That is also what we do.

So let me guess how many times you give them equal to what they automatically would be paid...

My guess............. Never!  

Try to enjoy your future cruises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

So let me guess how many times you give them equal to what they automatically would be paid...

You are not very good at guessing and yes we plan on enjoying all of our future cruises, thanks.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, yogimax said:

You have NO idea what the crew would be paid from the auto gratuity, so you have NO idea who is stiffing who. That’s the beauty of cash tipping, I know exactly whose hand my money

is going into. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 3