I may treat myself to a new watch on board.

Scorpio41

7 hours ago, LARGIN said:

Add Philip Stein to the list

I guess all these Brands we’ve all mentioned could turn up on a Princess ship sometime, somewhere. As to Sapphire Princess who knows which ones they’ll actually be carrying - just do your research and then have fun.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

No idea if they still carry them but I’ve also picked up Invicta and Kors and seen Tissot

Definitely seen Invicta recently Gut, pretty good $ too.

Edited by Porky55

19 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Definitely seen Invicta recently Gut, pretty good $ too.

I got mine $12.50 as they said it was a clearance, battery died pretty quick but jeweller up the street replaced it, water proof seal and pressure test under $40. So cheering, that was why I wa#nt sure if they still stocked them.

I purchased a Citizen watch 2 years ago while on a Carnival cruise.  Thought I got a good deal until I got home and did some research.  I couldve purchased the watch for at least $75 cheaper than what I paid on board during the "sale".

On 7/14/2019 at 4:07 PM, Potstech said:

At the store that sells watches.  Is there somewhere else onboard that sells them?

ya there's the tables set up in lobbies and the big pre sale pre sail. 

5 minutes ago, c-boy said:

ya there's the tables set up in lobbies and the big pre sale pre sail. 

Most watches on tables in the atrium are "designer" watches meaning classy names for cheep Chinese watches. If you like their looks then buy them but to not expect any quality or guarantees.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 11:50 AM, Scorpio41 said:

I wondered about buying a watch while on board.

I bought a Rado in Martinique on a cruise.  It was about $1K cheaper than on the ship.  Just FYI.  But it's your hard-earned money, and if you love, love, love one you see on board, go for it!!  You only live once.

• Like 1

I stopped wearing a watch like 10 years ago and used my phone.  When the smart watches came out I got one.  It would be interesting to post a survey and see smart vs non-smart in this forum.

49 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I stopped wearing a watch like 10 years ago and used my phone.  When the smart watches came out I got one.  It would be interesting to post a survey and see smart vs non-smart in this forum.

Several of both, I feel naked without a watch on.

19 hours ago, denmarks said:

Most watches on tables in the atrium are "designer" watches meaning classy names for cheep Chinese watches. If you like their looks then buy them but to not expect any quality or guarantees.

You have zero evidence to support this assertion. Equally troubling are the two individuals who "liked" your post. Just say whatever about things you know nothing about. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, zalusky said:

Analog only.

As for using the phone, I do that sometimes. I was annoyed when my son's friend gave me a hard time about wearing a watch. He asked why I didn't just use my phone and I asked him if he meant "a pocket watch" which is pretty much what using a phone is all about when using it instead of a watch.

Edited by Thrak
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Outerdog said:

You have zero evidence to support this assertion. Equally troubling are the two individuals who "liked" your post. Just say whatever about things you know nothing about. Sad.

Image result for roflmao emoji

..          love it  

I purchased a Philip Stein onboard Coral Princess, first night onboard.  I had been watching that model and knew exactly how much it cost from the manufacturer and online.  The ship was about $65 less.  Plus no tax.  Plus I was able to purchase it without the band, as I already had  Philip Stein that used the same size quick release band.  (the bands are grossly overpriced and don't wear well).  EM

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Analog only.

As for using the phone, I do that sometimes. I was annoyed when my son's friend gave me a hard time about wearing a watch. He asked why I didn't just use my phone and I asked him if he meant "a pocket watch" which is pretty much what using a phone is all about when using it instead of a watch.

Funny.

The pocket watch does not need to be turned on, a security code placed (or a retina scan done or a finger print taken) then get out of the sun so you can see it. Was the question on the "pocket watch" met with a  "huh"? A wrist watch is infinitely more efficient than a phone.... unless you are looking at that phone 24 x 7.

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I purchased a Philip Stein onboard Coral Princess, first night onboard.  I had been watching that model and knew exactly how much it cost from the manufacturer and online.  The ship was about $65 less.  Plus no tax.  Plus I was able to purchase it without the band, as I already had  Philip Stein that used the same size quick release band.  (the bands are grossly overpriced and don't wear well).  EM

Quick change bands are one of the best innovations in wrist watches this century.

One thing I like about smart watches is that I don’t need to wind it or change the battery, yes I do need to change it but far less frequently.

Another is that my phone can be on silent and still read any messages, great for meetings or in Court etc.

I have bought many watches on our 60 cruises and have for the most part have  always bought on shore instead of the ship. I'm a big fan of Citizen Eco Drive and Seiko Solar watches. Both those brands are sold for 35% discounts on the ships but in places like St. Thomas I have been able to bargain up to 50% off retail. 

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Quick change bands are one of the best innovations in wrist watches this century.

For the more fashion conscious and budget minded, Timex makes a Weekender watch with slip-through watch bands in many colors and some prints.  WE own several, and have a wardrobe of accessory bands from a seller on Etsy.  EM

8 hours ago, tailspintom said:

Funny.

The pocket watch does not need to be turned on, a security code placed (or a retina scan done or a finger print taken) then get out of the sun so you can see it. Was the question on the "pocket watch" met with a  "huh"? A wrist watch is infinitely more efficient than a phone.... unless you are looking at that phone 24 x 7.

Yes, they seemed fairly clueless and wrote it off to an "old man" thing. I actually did have a pocket watch when I was maybe 16 or 17. I loved it. It had been my grandfather's pocket watch (although a cheapo watch). I was very peeved when someone pushed me into a pool and the watch never worked again. I was a teen with no money so the watch was just toast.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:48 PM, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

There you go!  Have a good one!

So, your goal was just to antagonize Mr Potstech?

Not necessarly with watches, but over time there have been many, many

problems reported here by people trying to get warranty coverage for

something they bought onboard.

The only reason to buy onboard is if you have lots of OBC to burn,

as you can usually find a better price on land.

26 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

So, your goal was just to antagonize Mr Potstech?

Not necessarly with watches, but over time there have been many, many

problems reported here by people trying to get warranty coverage for

something they bought onboard.

The only reason to buy onboard is if you have lots of OBC to burn,

as you can usually find a better price on land.

Not at all.  Mr Potstech made a blanket statement about watches on the ships.  I pointed out that this is not necessarily true, and asked what steps were taken to remedy this watch purchases.  He indicated that he chose not to ship them back to the manufacturer due to shipping charges.  In other words, there was a warranty, but he chose not to follow the procedure. I chose to follow the warranty procedure and my watch was fixed per that warranty.  Many have also posted about their good experience with purchases on board, including watches.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Several years ago I made my one and only purchase of a watch on a cruise ship.  It was a Citizen Eco-Drive Moon Phase watch that I really liked when I first saw it.

The cruise ship employee advised that it was an exclusive to Princess and that I could buy it nowhere else.  I was advised that the list price was about $1200 but I could buy it for about $800.  What I thought was that there is no way that Princess, or any other cruise line, was going to get an exclusive to any watch or watch collection.  So, I began my search on trying to find this watch on the islands, where I have purchased several other watches (I like watches). 

I was unable to find the watch on any island and a search of the Citizen website revealed nothing.  I couldn't find the watch anywhere other than the Princess cruise ship.  I went back and bought the watch and it came with all the necessary paperwork, including warranty.

When this topic was posted it triggered memories so I went to the Citizen website and looked to see if I could find the watch.  I did but it shows that the watch has been discontinued and had a retail price of $1225.

I continue to wear the watch on a weekly basis and it functions flawlessly.  I rotate the watch with about 4-5 other Eco-Drive watches that I own, along with other brands, depending on my mood and desires that day.  

I'm sure that the warranty has long since expired but I never worried about the warranty anyway.  I have had a couple of watches, a Seiko, a Tissot, and an Eco-Drive, that have needed service over the years.  I found that if I take them to a local jewelry store that sells that particular brand, they will mail them to the company for me for repair.  I probably paid a premium for this service but it was small and worth it to avoid the hassle.  

• Like 2