NCL included air

djtx2

We are going on NCL Escape 9/29/19 out of New York.  Has anyone used this "free air"?  How does it work?  A little nervous!  When do we get notification of the air plan?

HELP!!!

56 minutes ago, djtx2 said:

We are going on NCL Escape 9/29/19 out of New York.  Has anyone used this "free air"?  How does it work?  A little nervous!  When do we get notification of the air plan?

HELP!!!

If NCL is borrowing a page from the upscale lines in the same holding company (i.e., Oceania and Regent), the value of "included air fare" depends on your personal circumstances. 

When Oceania started up (about 15 years ago), the airfare was included in the price PERIOD. Today, airfare is still included in what is referred to as the "O Life" pricing (which also includes other key amenities like SBC or booze). However, you can choose an air "credit" if you prefer to DIY air. And, in recent years, O has introduced a "cruise only" fare which (somewhat like airline "basic economy") has no air or perks (other than the always included beverages/specialty restaurants/internet/et al.).

I mention the Oceania example because it is very likely that NCL's long range plan is to go the route of its related lines' "good/better/best" inclusive pricing. And NCL is probably using the already existing holding company "air department."

I took a quick look at NCL's web page for this and noticed that only some airfares are in whatever the inclusive price may be (e.g., SFO to Alaska or Miami). You may need to pay a premium for other origin/destinations.

At the bottom line, however, it is worth some time/energy to connect with NCL and inquire about any price differences between "cruise only" and THIS air fare (etc) "included" pricing.

And the really big question (at least, for me) would be can you get an air credit instead (one that represents actual savings over a "cruise only" price). For our situation and travel profile, an "air credit" (that keeps money in our pockets and at our discretion) is almost always preferred.

Once you've done that, you really need to look at what that "air deal" gets you. Again, if NCL is using their upscale partner model, those "included" air tix will be for embarkation day arrival and debarkation day departure on routing of NCL's choice. Deviation (i.e., earlier arrival day, your preferred airline and/or route, upgradability to bizclass, etc.) will cost you extra. Sometimes that may be a bargain but other times (like bizclass upgrading) you're better taking any available air credit (or a lower "cruise only" price).

One last item involves "fare codes" which are a bit complicated. That said, if you take NCL's economy air tix but want to use your own FF points to upgrade to bizclass, the contract fare codes used by NCL may make that impossible.

Also know that a cruise line's provision of air tix does not guarantee the ship will wait for you (or cover costs to get to a later port) if a flight delay was not the cruise line's fault.

Do the research and get all of your questions answered before commiting to that (or any) contract.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, djtx2 said:

HELP!!!

Curious, I went on line to NCL’s “included air” site. There were a number of details provided. Assuming you signed up for “included air” at the time you booked your cruise, they will advise you of flight arrangements “approximately 50 days before sailing date”.

I have nothing but contempt for NCL’s sleazy marketing of “free drinks”, “free specialty dining”, “free air” come-ons —- and pity for the gullible customers who think they are getting something “free” because it is included in the price.  

Anyway, check your cruise contract - as well as the above site - it should provide full details.  Then, think about taking your next cruise on a line which does not so clearly aim its marketing at the gullible - you might find yourself on a ship with a different sort of passenger mix - which also provides better service, better food and less crowding. 

Finally, ignore any troll who might post his usual tripe on this thread about NCL scams.

• Thanks 1

We are going over thanksgiving and of course those are blackout  dates. I was told i could get air for $399pp which is a lot less then i have been finding. But they don’t tell you your flight or airline or if you have any stops until 30 days before you are going. I am not comfortable not knowing anything about my flight so i will keep searching on my own 

7 minutes ago, Smong said:

We are going over thanksgiving and of course those are blackout  dates. I was told i could get air for $399pp which is a lot less then i have been finding. But they don’t tell you your flight or airline or if you have any stops until 30 days before you are going. I am not comfortable not knowing anything about my flight so i will keep searching on my own 

Let me give you an example of what could happen.  We're going to Rio and one possible routing through a non-US carrier could have been San Francisco to LAX to Panama to Sao Paulo to Rio.  Whereas we're going to fly United from SFO/Houston/Rio.  And save an insane # of hours.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Smong said:

You might check with your Cruise line to see if, for a possibly modest charge, they will allow you to select your own flights/dates.

Some do.

GC

2 hours ago, Smong said:

It has been several years since we used HAL’s cruise air (or whatever they called it) for a one way to Rome.  Yes, it was much less than regular airlines’ fares ( which absurdly are higher for a one way than a round trip) - but the only way you could take advantage of their lower fares AND  pick your airline and flight was if you paid full cruise fare up front.  

With interest rates being so low, it was worth it to pay in advance and pick airline and flight - and get to select seats.  Ordinarily, you get what they give you - and do not know much in advance, so it is best to press the issue and deal direct with the airline yourself.

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

( which absurdly are higher for a one way than a round trip)

There are exceptions to this but this has been true for decades.  But you can do "open jaw," flying into one place and out of another.  But recently we had to do that as two one ways, but at the same price.

10 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

because it’s all you ever do. 

Perhaps you should reread the post and learn something about the probable basis for this particular NCLH change aimed at improving the competitiveness of its entry (NCL) in the mass market industry segment. You might also gain a better understanding of the pluses/minuses of using cruise line air and the importance of an ability to decipher airfare codes.

OR

Perhaps you could just make a valid contribution of your own to this particular thread.

8 hours ago, djtx2 said:

HELP!!!

My brother & sister-in-law have an NCL Baltic cruise booked.  They just received a $500 charge on their account to cover "service charges" for the "free" beverage package they selected.   They decided it wasn't worth it and cancelled the drink package.   NCL's initial response was that it was too late to cancel even though the cruise is over 2 weeks out.   NCL reversed that when it was pointed out that their own written policy is that only 48 hours notice was needed.   

Makes me wonder if any additional charges might be associated with the '"free air".    I don't know, but would sure read the fine print.   Or, better yet, maybe someone with recent "free air" experience could share if there were any add-on charges.  

Here are the downsides to free air. First NCL will control the bookings; you will not get your airline or seat assignment until 45 days or up to 30 days out.  You may not be sitting together.  If you go int'l you may be on a two or three leg flight. I have been offered this with another line; and in the end turned it down and booked myself. I control my seating, I control my flights both non stop or 1 stop;  but most of all I control the times I leave and return from the cruise. My wife has done several trips with her sisters and used the free or discounted air.  She and her sisters find out their airline and flights 30 days prior;  they are not sitting together, and the routing is terrible.  Hope this helps

It is always a good idea to question the real value of something that is “free”.

When you let NCL pick your airline, flights, times, layovers, etc. don’t you think that they might be inclined to do it as cheaply as possible?  If you were booking your own flights, would you be willing to pay a bit more if you could have assigned seats so you could travel with your partner, or have non-stop flights rather than multiple changes?

You may not always get everything that you pay for, but you will never get more than you are willing to pay for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

don’t you think that they might be inclined to do it as cheaply as possible?

Nowadays I'm finding that even when trying to book award travel.  The "cheapest" ones have the worst routings, times of day, you name it.

Hi

Cool Cruiser is correct, the worst air times are selected.  My husband and I are booked on our first NCL Alaskan cruise in September.

It will take 24 hours to travel from Anchorage to Philadelphia.  Terrible to treat customers with these times. 

Both of us are due back at work on Tuesday.  I am flexible with plans and realize the line's objective is to book the cheapest flight but 24 hours borders on inhuman.  This airfare is NOT free.

Spent 2 hours on hold yesterday and spoke to no one who could help me.  One more discussion with travel planner today but I an ready to shine some light on NCL's poor customer service.

I booked this cruise two weeks ago and every step is met with a problem.  If now is the honeymoon period, what is the actual cruise going to be like?

Best,

Phillyrose

On 7/14/2019 at 5:06 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Curious, I went on line to NCL’s “included air” site. There were a number of details provided. Assuming you signed up for “included air” at the time you booked your cruise, they will advise you of flight arrangements “approximately 50 days before sailing date”.

I have nothing but contempt for NCL’s sleazy marketing of “free drinks”, “free specialty dining”, “free air” come-ons —- and pity for the gullible customers who think they are getting something “free” because it is included in the price.  

Anyway, check your cruise contract - as well as the above site - it should provide full details.  Then, think about taking your next cruise on a line which does not so clearly aim its marketing at the gullible - you might find yourself on a ship with a different sort of passenger mix - which also provides better service, better food and less crowding. 

Finally, ignore any troll who might post his usual tripe on this thread about NCL scams.

wow, tell us how you really feel!!!! for you the free at sea" package may seem like a scam. For others of us, who have done our homework I will add and are not stupid it is worth what we py and more. So, let us all make up our minds.

To the OP: the air program can be great, but the air schedules may not be so great. We are sailing out of NWA in Oct. We have a 6am flight which isn't bad considering the cost is $99 a person round trip with compared to the price we had planned to pay at almost $600.00 round trip. And the cost includes transfers. We will return to our home airport about 5:30pm. 

22 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Here are the downsides to free air. First NCL will control the bookings; you will not get your airline or seat assignment until 45 days or up to 30 days out.  You may not be sitting together.  If you go int'l you may be on a two or three leg flight. I have been offered this with another line; and in the end turned it down and booked myself. I control my seating, I control my flights both non stop or 1 stop;  but most of all I control the times I leave and return from the cruise. My wife has done several trips with her sisters and used the free or discounted air.  She and her sisters find out their airline and flights 30 days prior;  they are not sitting together, and the routing is terrible.  Hope this helps

Very interesting: we are sailing in 90 days and already have our confirmed seats. Yes, we were scheduled to not be sitting together: There are  3 of us cruising. We were able to get the seating changed so we are all sitting together Of course this didn't really bother us that much as we are seasoned travelers and are capable of seating in different rows.  You are right, the downside is, the scheduling is not always the best. 

I have the "free air" promo booked for my cruise in December. I realize fully that the price of the air is baked into our fare. That being said, everyone is paying for the promo since there is no lower cost to booking "cruise only" (minus the NCL transfers that are automatically added to the total price). 

I have paid the $25 pp to add air deviation in order to fly in a day ahead as we prefer to have a bit of breathing room and cancelled the incoming portion of the airport transfer.

Am I expecting to be booked on my preferred airline at the best time of day that is convenient to me? No. 

Am I hoping we get direct routing? Given its a short-haul flight (Toronto - LGA), yes but I know it's possible I will be routed through Montreal.

Am I prepared to live with the above, and the uncertainty of not knowing until closer to the cruise? Yes.

I am a planner and usually like to retain control of all aspects of my travel bookings, so this is a big step for me. Since the kids aren't coming on this getaway, we feel more able to undertake the uncertainty and welcome the savings (cheapest fare available today is $885). 

Ultimately you need to decide if the uncertainty and probable inconvenience of routing/schedule is worth whatever savings you will be able to realize. 

• Like 1

The three of us are booked with the free / reduced air.  Went from inside with one perk for $2309 to balcony with air and all 5 perks for $2877.  Inside didn't include the free / reduced air.  Our airfare would have been around $650 for the 3 of us if I would have bought it separately.  

Now, don't get me wrong.  It is driving me bonkers not knowing my flights.  I know we may not be sitting together (not really a big deal to us to save the money) and the flights might not be at the best hours.

But for us it is worth it.

• Like 1

We just used the "free or reduced air" promotion.  

It may be their less deceptive promotions.  If it is offered for your sailing, you are given the fare at the time of booking.  You can either accept or reject it.  You have to judge for your circumstances.  It would have cost approximately $500 pp for us to book ourself.

In our case, we received free air from EWR to MIA.  The flights were assigned about 40 days out.  We were assigned a 6:45 AM nonstop flight out of EWR on United and a 1:45 PM nonstop return flight on American.  We did have to pay baggage fees.  First bag fees infuriate me, but that is on the airlines, not the cruise line.  ( I usually fly Southwest.  No bag fees and a humane amount of legroom over UA and AA)

You do have to use NCL transfers and you will pay for them.  The airport to ship transfer was awful.  We landed at 9:30, got our bags and met the NCL folks who put our bags on a truck for transfer to the ship.  The gave us a card that said group 3.  We were sent to wait in an area with over 100 people and no seats.  When I asked the agent when the bus would arrive, he said that the FIRST bus would not arrive until 11AM.  We were on the THIRD bus.  We got an UBER for $18 for the four of us and were in the cruise terminal in 20 minutes.  We missed the long check in lines and were on the ship an hour or more before the folks using the transfers.

The ship to airport transfer was handled very well.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:21 AM, ldubs said:

My brother & sister-in-law have an NCL Baltic cruise booked.  They just received a $500 charge on their account to cover "service charges" for the "free" beverage package they selected.   They decided it wasn't worth it and cancelled the drink package.   NCL's initial response was that it was too late to cancel even though the cruise is over 2 weeks out.   NCL reversed that when it was pointed out that their own written policy is that only 48 hours notice was needed.   

Makes me wonder if any additional charges might be associated with the '"free air".    I don't know, but would sure read the fine print.   Or, better yet, maybe someone with recent "free air" experience could share if there were any add-on charges.  

No it isn't. Your family members selected an upgraded beverage package or are on a long cruise. On a 7 day cruise the service charges are $138pp for the complimentary package. It takes about 2-3 drinks per day to cover the $19.80 daily service charges for the standard beverage package. Even if they want the drinks in the premium package they are better off paying the $5 or so upcharges as they drink, not paying extra for the upgraded package. 

Edited by Nola26

6 minutes ago, davy jones said:

We just used the "free or reduced air" promotion.  

It may be their less deceptive promotions.  If it is offered for your sailing, you are given the fare at the time of booking.  You can either accept or reject it.  You have to judge for your circumstances.  It would have cost approximately $500 pp for us to book ourself.

In our case, we received free air from EWR to MIA.  The flights were assigned about 40 days out.  We were assigned a 6:45 AM nonstop flight out of EWR on United and a 1:45 PM nonstop return flight on American.  We did have to pay baggage fees.  First bag fees infuriate me, but that is on the airlines, not the cruise line.  ( I usually fly Southwest.  No bag fees and a humane amount of legroom over UA and AA)

You do have to use NCL transfers and you will pay for them.  The airport to ship transfer was awful.  We landed at 9:30, got our bags and met the NCL folks who put our bags on a truck for transfer to the ship.  The gave us a card that said group 3.  We were sent to wait in an area with over 100 people and no seats.  When I asked the agent when the bus would arrive, he said that the FIRST bus would not arrive until 11AM.  We were on the THIRD bus.  We got an UBER for $18 for the four of us and were in the cruise terminal in 20 minutes.  We missed the long check in lines and were on the ship an hour or more before the folks using the transfers.

The ship to airport transfer was handled very well.

You can decline the NCL transfers, but they are automatically added.

• Like 1