Summit - Equinox vs Summit

barney11

Hi Guys!

My husband and I have been on the Equinox twice, which we loved.  We've just booked another cruise for 2020 on the Summit.  Obviously, it's much smaller, not as many bars, restaurants, etc., but how does it compare in quality?  I'm a little hesitant about this ship because we've been so spoiled on Equinox...  It just suits our timeframe better.  How about night life?  One of the highlights for us was the Silent Disco - does the Summit offer similar entertainment?  Thanks!

We have always liked Summit, and had great experiences on her.  With the recent massive dry dock, the experience should be even better!  I wouldn't hesitate.

There are a few recent threads here on CC that should give you a good view of what to expect under the current configuration.

• Like 1

Just returned from the Summit.  It has had the updating and it is great.  Unfortunately the Equinox wasn’t able to get the full update.  The Summit is smaller but it has most of the same things that the larger ships have like Martini Bar, Sunset Bar, Sky Lounge, Theater,  Solarium, Pool Grill (Mast Grill on Equinox) and yes Silent Disco.  The Rendezvous Lounge ( isn’t on the Equinox) is a great place for drinks and dancing.

The Summit has 3 banks of elevator vs 2 on Equinox so getting around is easier.  We would got back on the Summit without hesitating.

• Like 3

We went on the Summit the first cruise after the refurb.  We absolutely loved it.  The solarium pool is great - it has bubbling pipes which you lay on that massage your whole body.  The entertainment was great, and we were lucky to have a sailing which had the National Ballet.  I would recommend this ship to anyone.  We will be trying the Equinox next October!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Just returned from the Summit.  It has had the updating and it is great.  Unfortunately the Equinox wasn’t able to get the full update.  The Summit is smaller but it has most of the same things that the larger ships have like Martini Bar, Sunset Bar, Sky Lounge, Theater,  Solarium, Pool Grill (Mast Grill on Equinox) and yes Silent Disco.  The Rendezvous Lounge ( isn’t on the Equinox) is a great place for drinks and dancing.

The Summit has 3 banks of elevator vs 2 on Equinox so getting around is easier.  We would got back on the Summit without hesitating.

Excellent!  Great to know.  We were on the Equinox's last voyage before dry-dock, and I did hear that she didn't get a full renovation.  😞  I adore that ship, but I am looking forward to Summit.  Thanks so much!

So pleased to hear all the positives for Summit...We are booked  on her in 2020 for the new Newport, Bermuda, Charleston itin.

We have enjoyed  Equinox sev times  but will wait for the full reno to be completed before we return.

• Like 1

We sailed on Summit and Silhouette (sister to Equinox).

Pre update

Things we liked more about Summit-

1)Solarium pool has special Thalasso jets Celebrity-summit-Solarium-Pool-CW-6-x-4-

2) more drawers in cabin

3) Shuffle board

4) Better service overall, but that was several years ago

Things we liked more about Silhouette-

1) Overall it is more impressive ship

2) Loved all padded loungers throughout the ship

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

We love sailing M class ships like the Summit.  They are smaller but not 'much smaller'.  Still a good sized ship.  As far as entertainment, you will find pretty much the same options as any Celebrity ship, minus one or two.  Entertainment basically the same.  Actually like the Rendezvous Bar much better than its equivalent on S class ships.  

We enjoy both ships and have sailed on the Equinox 3 times, will again in a few weeks, and the summit at least 6.

It really depends.  The Equinox has more venues and more going on- glass blowing, more specialty restaurants, activities etc.  The summit, which has been revolutionized- is a nice ship also-  Guess it depends on the itinerary and price. 

You cannot go wrong with either ship.  However, our favorite ships are the Silhouette, Reflection and now the Edge.

Enjoy

• Like 1

Summit was my first Celebrity ship. I have been on it seven times. I was first on Equinox last month and will be returning next month. I would not hesitate to book either one.

There are enough similarities that you will feel instantly "at home". The feel is a little more intimate. You'll see the same people more often, recognize dining room staff in the buffet, etc.. I was on Summit five months apart and had more than one "welcome back!" where they really remembered me. I wonder if the same will happen on Equinox. I will find out in three weeks.

Don't be surprised if you are remembered on the Equinox!  Our former room porter remembered us and so did Dave, the liquor store sales manager from Peru.  😄  We went in October and again in April/May.  We were the last voyage before the partial renovation.  GREAT STAFF!!!

At this point in time we've not sailed any of the M class ships, but we are deposited on a fall sailing on Summit next fall (2020). We've sailed Eclipse, Equinox, and Solstice over the past few years.

That said, here are the biggest differences I can see between the S and M class ships. And yes, folks, this is VERY first world, so let's keep that in perspective.

M class ships are smaller and don't have Murano as a specialty restaurant offering. We feel Murano is the best of the best and the other specialty restaurants are left in the dust, so to speak. Qsine is nothing we enjoy and I probably would go to the buffet before going to Qsine again. In any case as long as we sail 'suite' class we always have Luminae to fall back on, and it's probably the best food and service on the ship.

Here is the ultimate first world gripe. Hold on.

M class ships don't have the extra half-bath (powder room) in Royal suites. Thank goodness they do have the jacuzzi on the balcony or it just might be a deal breaker for me and force us to try to bid up. I wonder how well the bath will work whilst sailing the Atlantic up and around Canada in early fall? Maybe request a portable heater? Yes, we know that won't happen.

Either way, pampering will happen and you should be prepared. The biggest issue will be the difference in size, but it really all depends on your stateroom level, as you know. There are ways to 'get lost' on the ship when one feels the need. As long it's not overboard, all will be good.

• Like 1

We sailed on the Reflection and Equinox this past January and on the refurbished Summit in June.  The positives for the Summit (vs. the S class) (1) the Rendezvous Lounge is much nicer venue, with better configuration, (2) inside stateroom had much better storage and drawers, (3) the Bakery in the buffet had better breads, cakes and cookies, (4) 3 banks of elevators and smaller ship made it easier to get around.  The negatives of the Summit: (1) no Celebrity Central - for movies and other activities (movies on the Summit were shown on top deck outdoors - weather permitting).  We enjoy seeing movies at 10:00 pm - inside Celebrity Central on S class ships.  (2) not as many specialty restaurants, and Tuscan Grill wasn’t as pretty as on S class ships.

We enjoyed our cruise on the Summit and wouldn’t hesitate to book her again- especially if she’s sailing out of Bayonne, NJ (we live in NJ, so it’s an easy trip).

• Like 1