Alaska Cruise

We are going on an Alaska Cruise on Celebrity the last week of August out of Seattle.  We are from the Georgia and wonder what kind of clothes we sould pack.  Comming from the south anyting below 60 is cold to us.  Also anyone been on this cruise?  Just wondering if any of the excursions are worth the money.  I am disabled and can not due a lot of walking.

Thanks for any sugestions.

We were on Celebrity Solstice this past May.  The clothing suggestion for Alaska is "layering". 

We expected cold weather but we were welcomed with warm, almost hot, weather.

(We've been to Alaska a couple other times...one sailing in July and one September...it was cold and raining both times.)  As far as shore excursions, what is your itinerary and what shore excursions are you interested in?

• Like 1

Layering is key as mentioned by bonsai3s. Being from the "north" we get layers and so we didn't have to buy really much. We took as a base long sleeve t-shirts or turtle necks, then a bit warmer base- for us sweatshirts/sweaters, then fleece jackets (which we bought in Alaska as a nice remembrance and pretty inexpensive) and packable vests (Land's End) to go over all if needed. For cruising in the bays we also had gloves/mittens and hats. We did not pack long underwear or tights for under our jeans. We cruised the second week of June. I do remember seeing many from the south finding the temps cold, but we left Wisconsin with the same weather we found in Alaska.

As far as excursions, you should see if the ship offers accessible tours. If so, they have less walking. If you share where you are headed many on the Alaska board should be able to help you pick out things you could do in port. The views are amazing and so while you are cruising you might be just happy to sit and watch the world go by. Our ship also had many guest speakers come in and speak for the day we were in Glacier Bay.

1 hour ago, bcraig2062@gmail.com said:

We are going on an Alaska Cruise on Celebrity the last week of August out of Seattle.  We are from the Georgia and wonder what kind of clothes we sould pack.  Comming from the south anyting below 60 is cold to us.  Also anyone been on this cruise?  Just wondering if any of the excursions are worth the money.  I am disabled and can not due a lot of walking.

Go to the Alaska board, you will find lots of useful info. As said above, layering is the way to go. Don’t forget a waterproof jacket/ raincoat, hat, gloves, and scarf. We did Alaska twice, last week of August and first week of September, different weather for each one. The August cruise we had sunny and warm weather at all but one port and Glacier Bay. Had overcast and cool temps. The September cruise we had rainy, foggy, overcast and cool weather the whole cruise. It rained all day in Juneau. Be prepared for any type of weather at any time. Excursions are expensive but they are worth it. Just research the ones you like and ask questions about them, you will get answers and other suggestions from lots of cruisers.

Have a great Alaska cruise, it’s an amazing journey.

My husband grew up in Southern California. When I met him, his idea of 'layering' was "Well, a jacket is a layer." 

I still have to plan his layers so that he can just take off the outer one(s) and put them in my tote. He would never take off a button shirt to take off a turtleneck and then put the button-shirt back on, for example. 

OP, make sure your rain layer will go over your warmest layer! You're apt to need the two together when you need them.

4 hours ago, bcraig2062@gmail.com said:

We were in Alaska in May 2008.We brought winter clothing and they had some of the warmest temperatures ever.

I would suggest that if you go to Danali a bus excursion of the park.

We usually bring a small backpack for excursions so we can stash a sweatshirt/fleece, light gloves or poncho for our travels.  Each port will have shops with loads of tees, fleeces, sweats, jackets and gloves as well.

Edited by LoriPhil

Like  others have said - LAYER.  Also bring sunglasses for while you are in Glacier Bay.   I have been to Alaska when it was in the high 70's and another time it was 60's and rainy.

Enjoy - the scenery is so beautiful!

When I went to Alaska a year ago last June I bought an Alaskan jacket with a hood as a souvenir.  I wore it and was glad to have it—along with my gloves, scarf and ear covering headband.  I wore it the day we toured Mendenhall Glacier.  I was warm and comfortable.  Other days a light jacket is all I needed.  Take layers.  

bcraig,

You might want to research the Disabled Cruise Travel forum at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/. Disabled cruisers that have cruised Alaska will be able to share their advice & experiences with you there.

I sincerely hope you do not mind me bringing this to your attention, but you really, really do need to change your Cruise Critic user name. It is not wise to use an e-mail address.

Please send an e-mail to help@cruisecritic.com and ask for your user name to be changed. When you do, be sure to send your e-mail from your Cruise Critic e-mail address of record and mention your current user name. This helps with the verification of your Cruise Critic account and will speed up the user name change process. Also, mention the reason for requesting your user name change.

You will need to include a list of at least five possible new user names. They will go down your list and change your user name to the first available. If all of the names on your list are already taken, they will send you an e-mail asking for another list of possible names. And so it goes until an available new user name is found for you.

When it is changed, all your previous posts will have your new user name and you will not loose your post count.

Hope this information will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 🐱

• Like 1

IMO, a lightweight loose fitting hooded waterproof windbreaker is a must, and I bring one on every cruise, no matter where it is going.

AK weather can be anything from warm and pleasant to damp and chilly/cold to just plain cold. You need to pack a few items of every type of clothing to cover all possible weather eventualities. When it's chilly or cold, layering is the key. 

Hey let's put it all in perspective here, you are going to Alaska not Barbados, use your common sense.  Google the weather channel and check out the temperatures and judge yourself accordingly.